1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Ghost with the most CaptainFracker's Avatar
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Level
    Overall I was extremely underwhelmed with her character. I thought the actress did the best with the lines for her character but Madison is too dismissive for me currently. There were lines here and there that caught me though- the waiting for the morgue to call line for example. I understand the exhaustion that comes along with a loved one deep in addiction

I want to like her character, it might take a few episodes to catch on

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't care too much for Madison. But it was just the first episode, hopefully she'll grow on me

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Level
    I've got experience with living with an addict so I understood why Madison was so dismissive. After dealing with the lies and effects of abuse for so many years, you reach a point where you have to start being realistic. In Madison's case, there is the addition of a mother's concern and not being able to do much to help her son. Nick is over 18 and an adult so she no longer has any control. She can't force him to go to rehab like she could when he was a minor. She can't even get all the information from the doctors or even the cops because Nick is an adult. There's a lot of frustration and worry - and then all this weird stuff starts happening on top of it.

There was some indication that either Madison or her ex - Nick's father - was an addict as well. She told Travis that addiction was genetic and, when he pointed out that Alicia had not become an addict, she said she was batting 500. That could be an interesting aspect to her story so I'm willing to wait and see how this all plays out.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I think the reason why Madison was dismissive to Travis was because she's watched her son manipulate people for his own purposes in the past and that's what she thought was happening to Travis. Her dismissiveness was grounded in exhaustion. She'd been the 'believer' when it came to Nick in the past and now she's too jaded and tired to play along as Travis learns the same lessons that she and Alicia learned years ago. At least, that's how I read that scene.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status
    Fuck The New Frontier Dazed And Kwam-fused's Avatar
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleka View Post
    I really liked her. She is the perfect example of a mother that's completely fed up with the lies of her drug addicted son, a mother that has been let down and hurt over and over again by her son's actions which makes her response and her attitude towards what Nick and Travis were saying totally understandable. And, she seems to be tough which unfortunately can be considered by some as a bitchy behavior.
    Agree with this.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    I particularly loved the scene when she breaks down at the hospital, she looks so hopeless, sad and lost. This scene proves that Madison loves her son very much. It must be really difficult for a parent to see their children in so much pain and not being able to do anything to help them.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Codas, codas everywhere HonkyTonkWoman's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Level
    I like her way better than Lori (and I'm not really a Lori hater). I can relate to her much more than I can Lori. I think her portrayal of a mother of a son with a drug addiction is very accurate. I really liked her interaction with Tobias and with her boss as well. It's also nice IMO to see a couple in a supportive relationship.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I love the actress from her other roles, but I'm not a fan of the character right now.
    She can think on her feet, saving that one kid from having his knife found on him, but she is too skeptical.
    I'll hold off on hating her until the end of the season.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    Level
    I think they nailed it with how a mother reacts at that point after years of dealing with an addicted child. There was also the comment about it being in the genes so she might have a history herself, but I doubt nearly to the extreme of IV heroin use. Maybe a milder alcohol problem that she got under control. Rehab is always the first line of defense for a parent that has the means to send their child. They think it's the easy answer. Let the professionals handle it. She is probably a mom that was there for every visitation, took all the collect calls, made sure he had cigarettes while he was in there every time.

The scene with her in the church was especially well executed. It showed her coming to a place of acceptance that no matter how much she cared and no matter what she could offer him that the smack would win. We saw that acceptance when she admitted that she wasn't sure if she wanted him to come home. I also enjoyed how she handled the kid with the knife. She saw a good kid and wasn't going to let one mistake cost him expulsion. I can appreciate that.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Level
    She was ok, seemed a bit cold though.
    I expected a bit more from Kim as an actress but then it's the first episode so time will tell.
    Hope to see her kick ass later

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast