Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    i Am writing about the character Nick. Not the actor.

I like this guy, he is the first actor we see in Fear the Walking Dead. I Live in Germany Frankfurt am Main, i know people from the Redlight District, heavily drug addicted, on the streets not far away from the main railway station (about 50 meters) those people addicted to heroin and other things consume those drugs on the street, i worked in a pub in the redlight district for years and i know some people from the street. Nick is played authentic in my eyes. Some people struggled were well payed bank clerks (the stock exchange was only a few hundred meter away from there). So we had it all people with money, hookers, drugs, and all i can say those guys from the strreet have to fight a fight every day and night and they know how to get to a target they want. When things go wrong, Nick is the right man on your side.

Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Level
    Nick is the most relatable character on FTWD and even TWD to me. Especially the battle with addiction and his personality that comes with that.

There really aren't a lot of shows that can seem to get that feeling of what it's really like to be addicted. They have written it perfectly through the eyes of a drug addict and struggling with drugs in general.

Status
    Judiths Anger Translator Rolexus's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Level
    It's ironic that Strand--a guy who has known Nick a few days--has done more to help empower Nick to take control of his addiction by harnessing his resourcefulness in the right direction than Madison & all the Rehabs he's been in. Nick is thriving, not just surviving, through his new sense of purpose. Until Strand came along, the family viewed Nick as the "problem" & treated him as such. Madison still tries to hold him back rather than build him up by supporting his efforts to help the family using his strengths. Sure killing undead kids at the church got in his head, as it should. Nick's the one character whose shown growth that feels real. In S1 he was like a baby bird learning to walk on wobbly legs; in S2 he's using his wings. TTD said Kim Dickens views her character as the Rick Grimes of FTWD (ahem) then she better take a page from the Grimes School of Child Rearing and support her son to spread his wings and soar rather than keep trying to shuffle him back in the nest.

Nick is the only character on FTWD who can carry a scene ALONE. That's when he's at his best. I pray the writers build on that; it's a helluva positive image to see someone who was drug dependent now the go-to guy the rest of his group is now dependent on to do the tough jobs. Leave it to Strand to see it first & nurture it. That's why they're carrying all the water for the show while the other characters are little more than background noise.

Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Level
    @Rolexus, Frank Dillane has proven to be the best actor on this show. He is simply awesome as Nick, showing a mix of vulnerability and strength that the other characters simply cannot pull off.

Status
    Judiths Anger Translator Rolexus's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl's Right Eye View Post
    @Rolexus, Frank Dillane has proven to be the best actor on this show. He is simply awesome as Nick, showing a mix of vulnerability and strength that the other characters simply cannot pull off.
    Agreed. I love how he looks like Big Bird all gawky & fumbling about when his family's around, then becomes a this fantastic feline night creature on one of his blood-covered excursions into the land of the dead. I wanted to hug him when he crept in the "Save Us" beach camp banging pots to draw walkers out. We didn't see TF use that technique into what...early S3?

The sad part is Nick's stuck in this dysfunctional family dynamic where adult supervisors who can't hold a candle to Nick's ZA skills are not only calling the wrong shuts without seeking the advice of the most experienced of the bunch, Nick. They're still casting him into the role of fragile, "family time bomb." FD shows his true acting chops straddling that fence between the role of family "fuckup" that Madison has to constantly watch & the King of the ZA he is becoming. He is light years ahead of where Rick, Shane, Daryl & Glenn were at the same stage in their Universe. What's more FD makes us believe it possible. FD's portrayal of Nick holds FTWD together. I adore Strand but even his existence is inextricably linked to his attachment to Nick.

And it doesn't hurt that he's a beautiful man, even when he's gawky.

We gonna get some FTWD badges any time soon or what?

Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    He's just so brilliantly written and acted, he just steals ever scene he's in!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234