1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level

Madison's History

At this point, we don't know too much about Madison that is fact, other than her career, kids, and that her husband died 6 years ago. However, there are definite clues that Nick's addiction is nothing new to her and in her words it's in his blood, leading us to speculate as to whether she was talking about her deceased husband or herself. While I'm inclined to think it is was Nick's dad who was the drug addict, I am starting to wonder about Madison. In episode 3 we see her pouring herself a drink while waiting for Travis, and then she's obviously drinking to deal with things as she stares at Susan and talks to Liza. Is it possible she's an alcoholic and was referring less to Nick's drug habit and more to him having an addictive personality?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    395 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Alegna200 View Post
    At this point, we don't know too much about Madison that is fact, other than her career, kids, and that her husband died 6 years ago. However, there are definite clues that Nick's addiction is nothing new to her and in her words it's in his blood, leading us to speculate as to whether she was talking about her deceased husband or herself. While I'm inclined to think it is was Nick's dad who was the drug addict, I am starting to wonder about Madison. In episode 3 we see her pouring herself a drink while waiting for Travis, and then she's obviously drinking to deal with things as she stares at Susan and talks to Liza. Is it possible she's an alcoholic and was referring less to Nick's drug habit and more to him having an addictive personality?

Good points. But if Madison was a recovering alcoholic why would she allow or have alcohol in her vicinity? She flushed the oxy (or whatever medicine it was) that Alicia suggested giving to Nick when he was going through his withdrawals. She is aware enough to remove the temptation from the presence of the addict so why keep alcohol around if she was a recovering alcoholic? Maybe it is the father who was an alcoholic or possibly addicted to drugs.

However "it's in his blood" does not necessarily mean a direct connection to father or mother. If there is an addict in the family (grandfather, uncle, aunt, grandmother, etc...) that could also be the cause of Nick's addictive personality and Madison's experience with it.

My Papa was an alcoholic. I remember my dad telling me about times when his dad would come home off his arse and he would have to "handle" him because his mother refused to deal with it. When I learned of my Papa's past I was shocked because I only saw him as the best Papa in the world. He gave so much of himself to his grandkids and always made us laugh and feel loved. I think that was his way of making up the wrongs he did with his own children.

But back to the point of this thread. There is a lot we don't know about any of the characters yet. Which I find interesting and appealing. It could be Madison that has had a prior addiction, could be the father. I cannot wait to find out more about the backgrounds of each so the dots finally start connecting.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    After watching episode 4, I do believe that Madison is an alcoholic. She was drinking several different times during the episode and the final scene she had in the garage the cup she had been drinking from seemed like it was highlighted in that shot where everything else was dark. It should be interesting to see if and where they go with this.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what was in her mug throughout the episode. At the beginning it seemed like she was waiting for power to make coffee, so I assumed she was drinking coffee. At the end I thought I saw a bottle of booze, but I'm not sure. She was definitely chugging that mug when stressed though, so maybe it was alcohol.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Episode 4 definitely strengthened my suspicions. Perhaps she is not a recovering alcoholic so much a functioning alcoholic. I have known plenty of those, and on the surface they appear to be put together and don't get smashed all the time - thus leaving them functional for the most part. We don't know how long Travis has been living with her, but the animosity between the kids and them makes me think this is a newer situation. Travis may be completely unaware that alcohol is a problem for her.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Alegna200 View Post
    Episode 4 definitely strengthened my suspicions. Perhaps she is not a recovering alcoholic so much a functioning alcoholic. I have known plenty of those, and on the surface they appear to be put together and don't get smashed all the time - thus leaving them functional for the most part. We don't know how long Travis has been living with her, but the animosity between the kids and them makes me think this is a newer situation. Travis may be completely unaware that alcohol is a problem for her.

Noticed she was kind of shaking as she was drinking from the mug and going all the way to the garage just to get a drink or drink something in general seems suspect to me. But it could also have been because of what she saw outside the fence. I too think her relationship with Travis is fairly new. Alicia and Nick both seem to just tolerate Travis because of he's with their mom. That bathroom scene was like Alicia telling him to stop because this was a family matter and she didn't want his help or to interfere. They clearly don't consider him family, or even really care about him, which is a shame, because I feel like Travis always tries to help only it never seems to be good enough for the people around him. Even Madison is cold to him at times. I saw it especially in this episode.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Level
    Maddie has been seen drinking alcohol or possibly sneaking it...on almost every episode up until this point. I eonder if its sonething they will explore. On the talking dead, several times now, Chris Hardwick has mentioned maybe Maddie is somehow related to someone from TWD (He mentioned maybe her maiden name being grimes or dixon...it was in a joking manor but....) then YNB mentioned maybe she was related to Andrea. I feel like although farfetched, it would be a good way to tie in Fear with TWD. And at this point do we know her last name?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1166 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by awaywithyou View Post
    Maddie has been seen drinking alcohol or possibly sneaking it...on almost every episode up until this point. I eonder if its sonething they will explore. On the talking dead, several times now, Chris Hardwick has mentioned maybe Maddie is somehow related to someone from TWD (He mentioned maybe her maiden name being grimes or dixon...it was in a joking manor but....) then YNB mentioned maybe she was related to Andrea. I feel like although farfetched, it would be a good way to tie in Fear with TWD. And at this point do we know her last name?
    Her last name is Clark, but that could be her married name.

Brown mentioned Madison might be Andrea's sister, but I don't think so. Madison has already given away that her father probably wasn't a good guy when she told Chris she hit her own father when she was eleven and it didn't end well. We know Andrea and Amy had a caring father based on their conversation about him when they were fishing in the quarry.

Perhaps her father was Daryl's uncle (his father's brother) and her maiden name is Dixon?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Level
    When Madison noticed the pregnant girl with a drink, she said "one drink might be ok", and the girl responded "I only like to smell it", or something like that. Madison's response was like "I wish I did". I thought that might be revealing. She could very well have a drinking problem...it'll be interesting to find out.