Level

2. Back To Top    #372
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ninakins View Post
    I would never dissuade someone from shipping Caryl. I plan to, always, regardless of what transpires onscreen. And as much as I adore your interpretation and think it makes perfect sense, I personally think it is clear from the preview special that they won't be pursuing Caryl as a romantic couple for the foreseeable future. They will, however, be retaining their strong, platonic relationship. Obviously I could be wrong and I'm sure others feel differently. Hopefully you're right. And if I am wrong, I will be thrilled about it.

I do agree that Zeke's days are numbered, but I really don't know what that means, if anything, for Carol and Daryl. The interesting thing about the Caryl ship is that it has always been diverse. Where most were hoping for romantic canon, lots of Carylers just enjoy the strong, enduring friendship. So lots of Carylers are disappointed right now, but not all are. In television shows, just like in life, you don't always get what you want. Caryl is a very special relationship in television history and the show is missing a tremendous opportunity taking a pass on making it romantically canon.

But who knows? As long as they are both alive it is possible. The showrunner, or the person blocking the decision, could change his/her mind. For me, though, the general quality of the show has declined so rapidly that I'm not sure I'm willing to stick around to find out. I'll decide closer to October. Now with both Andrew and Lauren leaving, the show will be focusing on many characters I care nothing about. Carol always has been and remains my favorite character. But I see no evidence that the lacklustre and OOC writing of her character since late in Season 5 is likely to change.

I would be interested in knowing if other Carylers plan to stick with the show. I'm undecided, but even if they never bring Caryl together, I have no regrets of any kind having been part of the online Caryl fandom.

So I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. After the sneak peek came out I read some perspectives on some tumblr blogs, and I forced myself to take some time away from the fandom in general. I've gathered my thoughts about it as much as I can, and this is what I've come up with (currently, it can always change later)

When I found out the spoilers of CZ hooking up, I was devastated. Like, I think I cried. Because I've been invested in this for so long, and my feelings are real, so it stung. But something about Caryl pulls me in against my conscious will. Part of me hates it, part of me embraces it. So after the first few spoilers I had many doubts that I'd be able to continue to watch and enjoy it, then the trailer came out with her leaning on his shoulder, and what looks like him beating up a Savior in her defense (who knows, trailers tend to be misleading). And then I was fully back on the ship and the show again.

It's the rumors of a wedding that actually has me slightly skeptical. I do believe spoilers and their sources, however, this one does seem a little odd...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Then the sneak peek came out with Caryl talking. I had read a blog on tumblr who had watched it before I had the chance to watch the clip myself, and this blogs perspective was very convinced that Caryl was dead and then she gave all the reasons to not watch anymore. I remember reading it right after I finished dinner and wanting to throw up my food, being devastated all over again. But then I watched the sneak peek myself (wanting to rip the bandaid off) and it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

To me, whether Daryl gave his "approval" or not, the fact like they had this talk at all, has me thinking that a new dynamic in their relationship COULD be explored in the future. This never happened with Tobin, we didn't see Daryl react at all to that, whereas here, he's "happy" for her, even though I do think his expression and body language would beg to differ. Maybe there's something to that. All of this on top of the fact that AK said on talking dead something along the lines of "Carol and zeke will have a thing, BUT Carol and Daryl will have their special time" The fact that the show runner flat out spoiled a ship "going canon" way before the season airs, and well before it's done filming, AND having to quickly mention the other popular ship, tells me that CZ could be not a lot passed a plot device. I think Zeke isn't going to last much longer, and I think CZ will not have the ride or die romance. I could be wrong of course, but the truth is we don't know anything for certain yet.

So regarding whether I'm going to keep watching, I'm really not sure yet. Part of me wants to stop watching to show TPTB that what they're doing is causing damage, and that the story they're telling is no longer the amazing one that this once was, but the other part of me doesn't think they really give a shit. They seem arrogant and unwilling to look at the error of their ways. They are causing a lot of damage to the Caryl fandom (a big number of the fans the show has left) and I think if Caryl ever does go endgame, it very might well be too little too late.

Some people may feel differently about this, but I don't think that Caryl romance is ever off the table. AMC knows what the fuck they have with this couple and I could see them keeping the ambiguity up even after the mess with CZ is over. It's just a matter of whether fans are wanting to stick around for that long. Me personally, I can still see romance for Caryl in the future. Some fans think it's "ruined" or "tainted" but to me, the fact that they kept their friendship up (as seen in the clip) makes me think that they can get that momentum back in a convincing way. It'd be one thing if they had CZ romance, and Daryl and Carol never share scenes again. (That would be enough to make me walk away). And like I said earlier, we never really know how things are going to play out until is happens on screen, that's happened with some spoilers before. Remember the "you look ridiculous" spoiler from season 5?

I've always made the promise to myself early on that I will ship these two, and hold out hope for a romance until one of them dies, which unfortunately means yes, that includes suffering through mid ships. I can't tell people to keep shipping them or to walk away, everyone has their own perspective on it and their own feelings. I respect and support all of my lovely fellow shippers with whatever decision they make.

The bottom line for me is that this relationship has such beautiful, unique moments that no one, that includes the writers, can take away from us. Caryl is ours, and if things don't work out romantically, the writers certainly don't deserve them. I'm ride or die, and despite wishing and hoping I won't be the only one left whenever all this ends, I'll go down with this ship even if I'm the last one standing.

Sorry this got long, and despite everything that's happening, Caryl the fuck on!

3. Back To Top    #373
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Level
    Can't seem to find the EDIT option on my recent post or even remember how to edit an old post (it's been ages sorry haha), but looked here and just realized that the spoilers on this site do contradict the spoilers I was talking about. How The king had been spotted for those episodes (I had looked at another source on tumblr that said different). Only time will tell to know for sure I guess. Regardless, I'm still going to Caryl on anyway!

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738