Status
    THE FIRST & LAST STORM AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZeke View Post
    I love the map! Would it be possible for characters from the books like Jeyne Poole, Aggo, Cohollo, Mandon Moore, who ended up in background roles on the show, to get more involved based on our decisions?
    Yes, I have a list in the first post showing which major book characters can appear and which can't. As long as there is no evidence of the characters not existing in the TV Universe they could show up in this story or if they exist but weren't used fully in the show they could end up with bigger roles (or possibly their book roles like Jeyne).

Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
    That's one hell of a job @AdamUpBxtch! The amount of time and effort you've put into this so far is obvious. I think having one core map showing where every house is located is gonna be helpful to people who don't know the story well. I don't think you have to do a map of this size every time though. Just to save you some time if anything. I think you should just update this main one as the story progresses and maybe make smaller maps showing, for example, who's in Pentos when you do a chapter on Daenerys. Or one for Kings Landing when you're focusing on Tyrion, etc. Not sure if that's what you originally meant. I know the places and people well enough not to need a map, so feel free not to feel like you need to make a bunch of them. I have a feeling anyone reading this will too. But they might help with more of the casual fans.
    Yeah it took me a couple days to create this map which was a pain in the ass. If no characters move or are said to have moved by characters to different locations, I won't update the map. I may just take the characters off the map because they take up a lot of space and cover up a good bit of the map itself and I'll just have them listed below the map under labels of certain locations & update that because that wouldn't be as hard or time consuming. I already have a list below each chapter showing who appears in said chapter, has been mentioned in the thoughts of certain characters, & who has died.

Also I have left off a lot of characters by mistake but I will be creating a portrait for them as the story goes along and they get involved:
    Nightswatch:
    Grenn - I left off because I'm not 100% sure where he is before joining the Nightswatch.

Kingsguard:
    Meryn Trant
    Mandon Moore
    Boros Blount
    Arys Oakheart
    Preston Greenfield

House Poole:
    Jeyne Poole
    Vayon Poole

Dothraki:
    Rakharo
    Aggo
    Kovarro
    Malakho
    Qotho
    Cohollo
    Haggo
    Mago
    Irri

Vale:
    Robar Royce

The Reach:
    Emmon Cuy

and many others...

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    Alright the poll is closed for Chapter 1. The results were...

Eddard:
    A. Let your children keep the Dire Wolf pups. (4 Votes)
    B. Kill the Dire Wolf pups. (0 Votes)

Choice A Wins; Eddard will let the kids keep the dire wolves.

Tyrion:
    A. Go north to Winterfell with Robert Baratheonís party. (3 Votes)
    B. Stay in Kings Landing. (1 Votes)

Choice A Wins; Tyrion will travel to Winterfell with Robert Baratheon.

Chapter 2 Confirmed POVs:
    Jon Snow; the bastard of Winterfell
    Daenerys Targaryen; Exiled Princess of the Seven Kingdoms
    Eddard I of House Stark; Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North & Warden of the North.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Level
    This is awesome.

Are you going to map out Daenery's IBS? lol

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    Chapter 1 Choices:
    Eddard:
    A.Let your children keep the Dire Wolf pups. (4 Votes)
    B. Kill the Dire Wolf pups. (0 Votes)
    Choice A Wins

Tyrion:
    A.Go north to Winterfell with Robert Baratheon’s party. (3 Votes)
    B. Stay in Kings Landing. (1 Votes)
    Choice A Wins

@John Dixon @Nomis210 @tabitha ate my stash @KingZeke @whargoul

Chapter 2:
    Jon Snow; Bastard of Winterfell
    My father Eddard agrees to the children getting the dire wolves. As I figure he would. My little brother Brandon asks why I’m not getting one. I remind him that I’m not a Stark. I’m a Snow. Every noble born out of wedlock in the north is given the surname Snow. Guess it’s to remind us of what we are, a mistake. Bastards from the Riverlands are given the surname Rivers. Westerland bastards get Hill, The Vale ones get Stone, Crownland bastards are Waters, The Reach are Flowers, & Dorne’s bastards are given the surname Sand. Speaking of Dorne I’ve heard the rumors of Ashara Dayne being my mother. That name hasn’t been utter inside of Winterfell in years, and nobody dares say it, my father put a stop to that. Gods only know if it is true. My father certainly won’t discuss the subject. As I sit and ponder on my bastardy I hear something. It sounds like…what the? It’s another dire wolf pup! He’s small and completely white. He seems to be the runt of the litter. Theon taunts me saying the runt is mine. It’s ironic that Theon would be taunting me, since he isn’t getting one at all because he’s a prisoner, not a member of the family.

I’ve decided to name my dire wolf “Ghost”, because of his white color & uncanny silence. The outcast of his litter. He’s just like me, minus the white hair, but funny enough I always pictured myself as Aemon Targaryen the Dragon knight when me and Robb would spar in the courtyard of Winterfell when we were younger. I’ve always wanted to hate Robb, but I never could. I’m luckier than most bastards. I’m treated fairly well by my family, minus Catelyn of course but I can’t really blame her.

My father has just informed us that Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King has died. Lord Arryn was like a father to my father. It seems the King rides for Winterfell with the rest in tow, and everybody knows exactly why. He is likely coming to ask my father to be his new hand. My father will probably say yes. Maester Luwin has been talking to me about the Nightswatch. My uncle Benjen is a member of the Nightswatch and has been for over 10 years. The Nightswatch vows are pretty clear. Those who swear the oath forsake their lands, titles, & family name. They don’t marry or have kids, but I’m a bastard who will never inherit any titles anyways. Perhaps the Nightswatch is where my fate lies?

The day has come and the King is almost here, we’ve been preparing for weeks. We’re all gathered in the courtyard where my true born siblings line the front row as me and Theon stand behind them. Arya arrives late and to most of our amusement she is wearing a helmet. My father takes the helmet off her and rushes her into the line. King Robert rides in with his knights, while Queen Cersei is in a large wheelhouse. Lord Eddard presents his household to King Robert. Robert looks Eddard up and down and tells him he’s “Got Fat.” At first we all think it is an insult but quickly we realize he is joking. The two haven’t seen each other in 9 years. Robert goes down the line greeting my father, his wife Catelyn, and my true born siblings.

Among the group of people in the King’s party there area a few notable ones like Ser Jaime Lannister, The Kingslayer, blond hair flowing as he sits on his horse in his Kingsguard armor. Joffrey Baratheon, the crown prince, who is eyeing up my sister. Ser Gregor Clegane, I’ve heard stories about his older brother. The Queen finally comes out of the wheelhouse and approaches. Robert calls Eddard to take him down to the crypts to pay his respects, most likely to my aunt Lyanna who Robert loved dearly. Robert was suppose to marry her back in the day before Rhaegar Targaryen kidnapped her. My father told us about the rebellion, but not specifically about Lyanna herself or what really happened to her. Gods know why. Rhaegar most likely raped & killed her. If something like that happened to Sansa or Arya I wouldn’t wanna tell people about it either. Speaking of Arya, my bug eyed wild little sister. I’ve been working on getting Mikken, the blacksmith, to make her a sword. A tiny one should do.

It’s sundown and a feast is being held in the great hall, but Catelyn has barred me from attending, stating that it’d be an insult to the Royal family to seat a bastard in their midst. As I’m practicing with my sword outside in the darkness I hear a familiar voice from behind me asking if “He’s dead yet.” It’s my Uncle Benjen. The moment I see him all I can think about is my fate. My father hasn’t talked about sending me to the Nightswatch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Catelyn eventually asks him to. Maybe it’s inevitably. I’ve been preparing myself, but is this truly want I want?

A. Ask Benjen to tell Eddard that you want to join the Nightswatch.

B. Don’t ask him to.

Eddard I of House Stark; Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North & Warden of the North.
    Robert has arrived and has brought me down into the crypts. He means to pay his respects to my sister. It’s just as I feared, he is still not over her. Which means his hatred of the Targaryens is probably just as strong as it was 9 years ago when I last saw him. He’s gotten much fatter but he’s still funny as ever. Robert offers up his prayers at my sister’s tomb. Robert asks why I buried her in a place like this. Normally the Crypts of Winterfell are reserved solely for the Lords of Winterfell, not Lord’s daughters or younger sons, but after everything my family has been put through I thought it right. My brother Brandon never got to be Lord of Winterfell but he lies beside our sister & father all the same. As I looked at my sister’s statue all I hear “Promise me Ned”. “Promise me”. So many promises, broken & kept. I hear them in my dreams and they’ve haunted me to this day, but I’ve always kept faith with my family. Most may not know or believe so, including Cat, but I have. As I expected Robert offers me the position of Hand of the King. He acts as if I have a choice in the matter, but do I truly? What if I say no? What would he do? I’m almost curious enough to say so. I ask him to give me the night to think about it. He tries to sweeten the deal by offering a marriage proposal between his son Joffrey & my daughter Sansa.

The feast has commenced. I’ve never been one for feasts if I’m to be honest with myself. Growing up feast weren’t my focus as the second son. If it wasn’t for the rebellion I probably would of joined the watch with Benjen, or I’d been married off to some lady from a different region. Perhaps they would of had a place for me in Starfall. As I sit watching the King flirt & grab random women I hear a familiar voice from behind me. “You at a feast, like a bear caught in a trap.” It is my brother Benjen finally having arrived from Castle Black. I ask him about the boy I beheaded. Benjen tells me that he was tough, a true ranger. A true ranger who speaks of madness like the white walkers? My brother then tells me that the whole world is going mad with dire wolves south of the wall, talk of the white walkers, and he jokingly adds that I’ll be the next hand of the King, but will I? I haven’t even said yes and already accepts it. I have no interest in sparring with vipers in that rats nest they call a Capital.

The feast is over, the castle sleeps. Winterfell was built on a hot spring, so the heat rises throughout the castle and during the winters this is especially important. There is a knock at the door. It’s Maester Luwin. He comes in a says that a carved wooden box containing a fine new glass lens was left in his observatory while he was napping. The way it was delivered made the Maester wonder and he discovered a message hidden beneath a false bottom. Maester Luwin says he has not read it, and will not give it to me because it is addressed to Catelyn. Catelyn takes the message apprehensively. It is from her sister*Lysa*and written in a secret language only the two sisters share. Catelyn immediately burns the message after reading it. I ask her what her sister has said. Catelyn turns to me and informs me that her sister claims*Jon Arryn*was murdered by Queen*Cersei*and her*family. Catelyn tells me that I should accept Robert’s offer. Which shocks me. The last time I went south I brought home Jon. Why would she want me to head south again? My father rode south on King Aerys’ demand and he was burnt alive. Aerys charged my father with treason and my father demanded trial by combat, Aerys chose wildfire as his champion. He hung my father above the fire and tied a noose around my brother’s neck and laid a sword just out of his reach. My brother choked to death trying to save our father. Luwin tries to tell me that was a different time & king. Catelyn insist that if I truly love King Robert like a brother, I will not leave him to face the Lannisters on his own.

A. Accept Robert’s offer to be Hand of the King

B. Refuse Robert’s offer to be Hand of the King

Viserys Targaryen; Exiled Prince of the Seven Kingdoms & Head of House Targaryen
    The Dothraki khalasar led by Khal Drogo has departed Pentos and we are heading east. We are traveling away from the Free Cities and into the Dothraki sea, the long-grassed plains that the Dothraki call home. I am the last dragon and I have to ensure that Drogo fulfills his end of the bargain. I will do as Aegon The Conqueror did not even 300 years ago. I may not have 3 dragons but a horde of barbarians should do the trick. Illyrio has told me there are many Houses in the Seven Kingdoms who may flock to my side once I cross the Narrow Sea. House Tyrell, House Redwyne, House Darry, House Greyjoy, and the Dornishmen. Houses that stayed loyal during the War of the Usurper. The Usurpers Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Tywin Lannister, Hoster Tully, Jon Arryn; they’ll all meet a terrible death in the end. Me and my sister have spent our entire lives on the run from the Usurpers assassins. Things are about to change. As I wander the Dothraki camp Jorah Mormont, an exiled northern lord from Bear Island, approaches me. He tells me Illyrio has extended his hospitality's and that I’d be more comfortable staying back in Pentos. Jorah has swore me his loyalty and could stay and make sure Drogo fulfills his end of the bargain while I stay in Pentos.

A. Go back and stay in Pentos

B. Stay with Drogo and the Khalasar

Characters Appearing:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Characters Mentioned:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Character Deaths:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    A), A), A) Not listening to Jorah's advice is what got Viserys killed in the first place, curious to see if him surviving changes Dany's development.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm gonna go with A, B and B. I like changes and I would like to see what happens to old Ned if he doesn't become the hand of the king. But fuck Viserys where story changes are concerned. Never liked him. Let him go with Drogo and get the "crown" he always wanted.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    Level
    A, B, and A

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    Alright, since I've gotten a new job I've been pretty busy, but I'm still planning to continue this. I'm just hoping more people get involved so the polls are much more competitive.

The Poll is Closed lol.

Jon Snow:

A. Ask Benjen to tell Eddard that you want to join the Nightswatch (3 Votes)

B. Donít ask him to. (0 Votes)

Jon Snow will be heading to the Wall.

Eddard Stark:

A. Accept Robertís offer to be Hand of the King (2 Votes)

B. Refuse Robertís offer to be Hand of the King (1 Vote)

Eddard Stark will become Hand of the King.

Viserys Targaryen

A. Go back and stay in Pentos (2 Votes)

B. Stay with Drogo and the Khalasar (1 Vote)

Viserys will head back to Pentos to stay with Illyrio until Drogo's son is born.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    These povs are currently confirmed for the next chapter. Still writing it and revising it for continuity errors.

Eddard Stark
    Tyrion Lannister
    Daenerys Targaryen

My plan with this fan fiction is to base it in the show universe but add back in book information, character backstories, events, & characters themselves to flesh it out much more for TV only fans who don't feel like reading the books. If you read something in these early chapters and it wasn't mentioned in the TV Show, I pulled it from the books and fit it back in as best I could.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Level
    It's finally here guys! I was gonna continue writing some more to have more decisions but I just wanted to finally get a new chapter out.

Chapter 2 Choices:

Jon Snow:

A. Ask Benjen to tell Eddard that you want to join the Nightswatch (3 Votes)

B. Don’t ask him to. (0 Votes)

Jon Snow will be heading to the Wall.

Eddard Stark:

A. Accept Robert’s offer to be Hand of the King (2 Votes)

B. Refuse Robert’s offer to be Hand of the King (1 Vote)

Eddard Stark will become Hand of the King.

Viserys Targaryen

A. Go back and stay in Pentos (2 Votes)

B. Stay with Drogo and the Khalasar (1 Vote)

Viserys will head back to Pentos to stay with Illyrio until Drogo's son is born.

@John Dixon @Nomis210 @tabitha ate my stash @KingZeke @whargoul @HateForTheMasses @

Chapter 3:

It’s the next day and the King & I along with various other members of my household and the royal procession are going hunting. As we are leaving my brother Benjen approaches me discussing Jon. 17 years and I still haven’t figured out what to do with Jon. Funny enough I had never even considered the Nightswatch. Robbing him of the choice of having children of his own never felt right, given his actual situation. Benjen tried to convince Jon that the watch wasn’t the right place for him but Jon has his mind set. I could take him south with me but that is too risky. I could say no, but the boy would be subject to a cruel life if left with my wife. Who I suspect is pushing me to go south so that she may dispose of Jon while I’m away. Jon doesn’t deserve that. Robert approaches me and thanks me for saying yes to being Hand.

As we head out hunting I ask Robert more questions about Jon Arryn. Specifically his wife Lady Lysa Arryn. Robert says that she has gone mad and has fled to the Eyrie with her son Robin. Robert tells me he was hoping to foster Robin with Tywin Lannister. Jon Arryn held important positions like Warden of the East so I tell Robert that the title usually remains with the Head of House Arryn but Robert refuses to give the title to a boy, instead giving it to Jaime Lannister. Based off the letter we’ve received from Lysa it wouldn’t surprise me if this suggestion to foster Robin with Tywin was Cersei’s doing to take Young Lord Arryn as a hostage and secure his army if needed. This revelation is startling to say the least.

Upon returning from our hunting trip, I learned that my son Brandon has fallen while climbing a tower and is in a coma. I was planning to take Brandon with me when I went south, but Luwin is not sure when Brandon will wake up, or if he will at all. Jon plans to head for the wall and Robb must stay in Winterfell as is custom there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Sansa is a given to bring, she must be brought to court as she is promised to the Prince, and Arya is too wild to leave in the hands of her mother. I must reign her in.

After saying our goodbyes our party heads out to the Kingsroad. I say farewell to Jon as he heads north with my brother Benjen and Tyrion Lannister. We head down the Kingsroad to the Barrowlands. One night we stop to make camp as King Robert has just received dire news, and as I feared this news involves the Targaryen children. Daenerys Targaryen has married Dothraki Horselord Khal Drogo, whose khalasar is reported to number over one hundred thousand warriors. I try to calm Robert telling him that the Dothraki cannot cross the narrow sea as they have no ships. Robert states that there are still people in the Seven Kingdoms who call him Usurper. The Targaryens held the Iron Throne for almost 300 years back when Aegon The Conqueror before Robert took it from Aerys II, the mad king. Robert inquires about Jon’s mother. I give him a name and try to end it there. Robert reminds me that at that time, we were in the middle of a war and no one knew if they would ever return to their families.

We continue down the Kingsroad to the Inn at the Crossroads. We are near the Trident, the spot that decided the fates of so many in Westeros. Me, Robert, & House Targaryen. So much history. Not long after we arrive I hear that there was some trouble with Arya’s direwolf and the Prince. Arya has run off and I have to find her, if anything happens to her I’d rather face a thousand swords than my wife. As we are out searching for her Jory arrives telling me the Lannisters found her and took her before the King. I go back and see Sansa and Arya before Robert. Cersei and their son by his side. The Queen says Arya and the butchers boy beat Joffrey while they sent the wolf after him. Arya tells me Joffrey was abusing the butchers boy and Arya was defending him. We finally defer to Sansa who plays the middle, not blaming either side. Arya starts hitting her and as I break them up Cersei says she wants Arya punished. Robert jokingly quips “What would you have me do whip her through the streets? Damn it, children fight, it’s over.” Cersei states that Joffrey will bear the scars of the direwolf the rest of his life. When Nymeria cannot be found, Cersei spitefully requests that Sansa's direwolf Lady be killed instead, and Robert acquiesces, upsetting Sansa and angering Arya. Cersei asks Ser Illyn Payne, the royal executioner, to do it but I state I’ll do it myself. The Wolf is of the North, she deserves better than a butcher. I tell Jory to take the girls to their rooms and I go outside to take care of the matter myself. I pass the Hound who has Mycah the butcher’s boy, dead, on the back of his horse. The Hound states “He ran, but not very fast.” I cannot believe what I am seeing. I walk up to Lady, Sansa’s direwolf. I kneel down and I begin petting her, calming her. What has this world come to?

Ned has a decision to make.

A. Cut Lady’s Throat

B. Break Lady’s chain and send her off

Jon Snow; Bastard of Winterfell

Father has agreed to let me join the Nightswatch. I would be happy about this, but my brother Bran has fallen from a tower and is in a coma. I haven’t been to visiting him as Lady Stark has been by his side the entire time. The King and my father prepare to head south as I and my uncle prepare to head north. I hear that the Imp Tyrion Lannister is heading north with us. The dwarf seems clever enough. He told me that being a dwarf is almost no different than being a bastard, and I can see what he means. Although he may be treated like a bastard, he will still inherit the Rock. Which doesn’t seem all that bad in my opinion.

I finally gather the courage to go see Bran, as I would never see Catelyn again. I walk in and I see Lady Catelyn sat beside him. I stand in the doorway as she glares back at me. “What are you doing here?” she says. When I was younger and she use to berate me it use to send me away crying but now all it does is fill me with anger, and I finally state “I’ve come to say goodbye.” She retorts “You’ve already said it, go away.” I walk further into the room “He’s my brother.” Catelyn says “Shall I call the guards?” I call her bluff saying “Call them, you can’t stop me from seeing him.” I crossed the room keeping the bed between me and Lady Stark. "Bran," I say, "I'm sorry I didn't come before. I was afraid." I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks. I no longer cared. "Don't die, Bran. Please. We're all waiting for you to wake up. Me and Robb and the girls, everyone . . . " Lady Stark was watching. She had not raised a cry. I took that for acceptance. Outside the window, the Direwolf howled again. The wolf that Bran had not had time to name. "I have to go now," Jon said. "Uncle Benjen is waiting. I'm to go north to the Wall. We have to leave today, before the snows come." I remembered how excited Bran had been at the prospect of the journey. It was more than I could bear, the thought of leaving him behind like this. I brush away my tears, lean over, and kiss him lightly on his head. I say goodbye again before turning to head back towards the door. As I’m about to exit the room Lady Stark says “Jon.”. I was shocked, this is the first time I’ve ever heard her say my first name. Usually she’d called me “Snow” or “Bastard”. I turn to her and she was looking straight at me like it was the first she was actually seeing me. She coldly says “It should of been you.” before turning back towards Bran.

As we are about to leave my brother Robb approaches me asking if I went to see Bran and I say yes. Robb says “He’s not going to die, I know it.” I agree “You Starks are hard to kill.” Robb saw that my visit to Bran had bothered me in some way and he asks “My mother?” I lie and tell him she was kind. Robb smiles saying “Good, the next time I see you, you'll be all in black." I tell him it was always my color. He pulled me to him and embraced me fiercely. "Farewell, Snow." I hugged him back. "And you, Stark.” We break apart and looked at each other awkwardly. "Uncle Benjen said to send you to the stables if I saw you," Robb finally said. "I have one more farewell to make," I told him. "Then I haven't seen you," Robb replied with a smirk. It was a short walk to the armory. I picked up a package and took the covered bridge across to the Keep.

Arya was in her room, packing a polished ironwood chest that was bigger than she was. Arya glanced behind her, saw Me, and jumped to her feet. She threw her skinny arms tight around my neck. "I was afraid you were gone," she said, her breath catching in her throat. "They wouldn't let me out to say good-bye." "What did you do now?" I said amused. Arya disentangled herself from me and made a face. "Nothing. I was all packed and everything." She gestured at the huge chest, no more than a third full, and at the clothes that were scattered all over the room. "Septa Mordane says I have to do it all over. My things weren't properly folded, she says. A proper southron lady doesn't just throw her clothes inside her chest like old rags, she says." I ask "Is that what you did, little sister?" "Well, they're going to get all messed up anyway," she said. "Who cares how they're folded?" I finally say “I have something for you to take with you, and it has to be packed very carefully."

Her face lit up. "A present?" "You could call it that. Close the door." Wary but excited, Arya checked the hall. By then I had pulled off the rags I had wrapped it in. I held it out to her. Arya's eyes went wide. Dark eyes, like mine. "A sword," she said in a small, hushed breath. The scabbard was soft grey leather. I drew out the blade slowly, so she could see the deep blue sheen of the steel. "This is no toy," I told her. "Be careful you don't cut yourself. The edges are sharp enough to shave with." "Girls don't shave," Arya said. I retort "Maybe they should. Have you ever seen the septa's legs?" She giggled at me. "It's so skinny." "So are you," I told her. "I had Mikken make this special. The braavosi use swords like this in Pentos and Myr and the other Free Cities. It won't hack a man's head off, but it can poke him full of holes if you're fast enough." "I can be fast," Arya said. I tell her "You'll have to work at it every day."

I put the sword in her hands, showed her how to hold it, and stepped back. "First lesson," I say "Stick them with the pointy end.” Arya gave me a whap on the arm with the flat of her blade. The blow stung, but I found myself grinning like an idiot. "I know which end to use," Arya said. A doubtful look crossed her face. "Septa Mordane will take it away from me." "Not if she doesn't know you have it," I said. She asks "Who will I practice with?" "You'll find someone," I promised her. "King's Landing is a true city, a thousand times the size of Winterfell. Until you find a partner, watch how they fight in the yard. Run, and ride, make yourself strong.” Arya’s face falls again “I wish you were coming with us.” I say "Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle. Who knows?” I was attempting to feel better I wasn’t gonna let myself be sad. “I better go. I'll spend my first year on the Wall emptying chamber pots if I keep Uncle Ben waiting any longer." Arya ran to me for a last hug. "Put down the sword first," I warned her, laughing. She set it aside almost shyly and hugged me. "I almost forgot," I told her. "All the best swords have names." "Like Ice," she said. She looked at the blade in her hand. "Does this have a name? Oh, tell me." "Can't you guess?" I teased. "Your very favorite thing." Arya seemed puzzled at first. Then it came to her. She was that quick. We said it together: "Needle!" I headed back outside to the stables to the courtyard where the cold consumed the air, but the memory of her laughter kept me warm.

We finally head out and at the Kingsroad when we go to part ways my father Eddard approaches me. “There’s great honor to serve in the Nightswatch. Starks have manned the wall for thousands of years, and you are a Stark. You may not have my name, but you have my blood.” I asks him about my mother and after a long pause he tells me “Next time we see each other, we’ll talk about your mother. Hmm? I promise.” Me and my father part ways. I head north, Arya's laughter still keeping me warm...

Tyrion of House Lannister: Heir to The Westerlands & Casterly Rock

Huh? Dogs? Where? I wipe my eyes and attempt to stand but it looks like I’ve passed out in a dog pen. I look up to see my repulsive nephew Joffrey and his literal guard dog, Sandor Clegane, beside him. Joffrey makes the joke “different bitches then you’re use to uncle?” I tell him he will pay his respects to the Starks for the terrible tragedy that has befallen them. Bran has fallen out a window and is in a coma. Maesters say the boy may live and I’m very intrigued by the whole situation. I do hope he wakes obviously. Joffrey refuses to pay his respects stating “the boy means nothing to me, I can’t stand the wailing of women.” I then proceed to slap him. He tries to protest and I slap him again. I warn him and he proceeds to try again in which I slap him a third time, before he finally storms off. The Hound tells me that the Prince will remember it. I tell him “I hope he does” and to be “a good dog and remind him if he does forget.”

Joffrey Baratheon, I shiver at the thought of that little monster becoming King. I still remember back when he was 5 and he opened a kitchen cat and presented the little dead babies to his father, who knocked out several of his baby teeth. I head inside to sit with my siblings Cersei & Jaime and Cersei’s two younger children Tommen & Myrcella. I inform them that Bran may wake up and I take note of my siblings’ “odd” reactions. They don’t seem gladdened by the news. Cersei notes my absurd idea to visit the wall. I hear Ned’s bastard Jon is heading there. Heard he is terrible company always sulking about, but being born a bastard who can blame him? Being born a bastard and dwarf are not so different. I told Snow this during the feast as he was barred from attending. At least I think I did... I honestly don’t remember what happened. Cersei gets up and leaves with her children. Jaime says “Even if the boy lives he’ll be cripple, grotesque. Give me a good clean death any day.”

After a while the King finally grows tire of the snow, and decides to head back south. I decide to go north with Eddard’s brother Benjen, and his bastard son Jon. On our way north I noticed Jon Snow watching Yoren and his sullen companions, with an odd cast to his face that looked uncomfortably like dismay. No doubt the boy had made the mistake of thinking that the Night's Watch was made up of men like his uncle. If so, Yoren and his companions were a rude awakening. I felt sorry for the boy. He had chosen a hard life or perhaps I should say that a hard life had been chosen for him. I know how he feels. I say to Jon “Not impressed with your new brothers? Rapers, I’m sure most of them had a choice, castration or the wall. Most choose the knife.” After a moment of silence Jon finally asks me “Why do you read so much?” I say “Look at me and tell me what you see.”He looks at me confused “Is this a trick?” Assure him “What you see is a dwarf. If I had been born a peasant, they might have left me out in the woods to die. Alas, I was born a Lannister of Casterly Rock. Things are expected of me. My father was the Hand of the King for twenty years.” Jon quips back with “Until your brother killed that king.” I end with “Yes. Until my brother killed him. Life is full of these little ironies. My sister married the new king, and my repulsive nephew will be king after him. I must do my part for the honor of my house; wouldn't you agree? But how? Well, my brother has his sword, and I have my mind. And a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone. That's why I read so much, Jon Snow.”

Daenerys of House Targaryen: Exiled Princess of the Seven Kingdoms

My brother Viserys has begun his journey back to Pentos, leaving Ser Jorah with us to assure that Drogo eventually repays his end of the bargain. We are still on our way to Vaes Dothrak. I should be afraid but those dragon eggs calm me. At night when Drogo has his way with me I look into those eggs and all the pain goes away. I am enthralled by them in many ways. One night I ask my handmaidens if they have ever heard of dragons surviving in the east. They reply no, but*Doreah, a former pleasure-girl from*Lys, tells me an old story about how there used to be two moons in the sky. One wandered too close to the sun and cracked like an egg, spilling out thousands of dragons into the world. My other handmaidens*Irri*and*Jhiqui*dismiss the story, saying that the moon is a goddess, wife to the sun. I don’t know who to believe. Doreah instructs me on how to please Drogo in bed but also how to use my skills to gain respect from him. She reminds me "you are no slave" and should not have sex like one. I nervously put these plans into action and I’m surprised to find Drogo responsive, particularly once I starts using my body in combination with the Dothraki language to speak to him.

Catelyn of House Tully: Lady Paramount of the North, & Lady of Winterfell

I have sat by Brandon a fort night. Maester Luwin comes in one night speaking of appointments but I have no wish to hear him. All I see is Brandon. Robb walks in and insists that he’ll make the appointments. Luwin leaves and Robb says "He's not going to die, Mother. Maester Luwin says the time of greatest danger has passed." I retort with "What if Maester Luwin is wrong? What if Bran needs me and I'm not here?" Robb says "Rickon needs you," Robb said sharply. "He's only six, he doesn't understand what's happening. He thinks everyone has deserted him, so he follows me around all day, clutching my leg and crying. I don't know what to do with him."

Outside the tower, a wolf began to howl. I trembled, just for a second. "Bran's." Robb opened the window and let the night air into the stuffy tower room. The howling grew louder. It was a cold and lonely sound, full of melancholy and despair. "Don't," she told him. "Bran needs to stay warm." "He needs to hear them sing," Robb said. Somewhere out in Winterfell, a second wolf began to howl in chorus with the first. Then a third, closer. "Shaggydog and Grey Wind," Robb said as their voices rose and fell together. "You can tell them apart if you listen close." I told him to close the window and make them stop but suddenly Robb says “Fire.” he turns and says "Mother, stay here. I'll come back as soon as the fire's out." He ran then. She heard him shout to the guards outside the room, heard them descending together in a wild rush, taking the stairs two and three at a time.

I go to look out and when I turned away from the window, a man is in the room with me. "You weren't s'posed to be here," he muttered sourly. "No one was s'posed to be here." He was a small, dirty man in filthy brown clothing, and he stank of horses. Catelyn knew all the men who worked in their stables, and he was none of them. He was gaunt, with limp blond hair and pale eyes deep-sunk in a bony face, and there was a dagger in his hand. I looked at the knife, then at Bran. "No," I said. The word stuck in my throat, the merest whisper. He must have heard me. "It's a mercy," he said. "He's dead already." "No," I said, louder now. "No, you can't." I spun back toward the window to scream for help, but the man moved faster than I would have believed.

One hand clamped down over my mouth and yanked back my head, the other brought the dagger up to my windpipe. The stench of him was overwhelming. I reached up with both hands and grabbed the blade with all her strength, pulling it away from my throat. I heard him cursing. My fingers were slippery with blood, but I would not let go of the dagger. The hand over my mouth clenched more tightly, shutting off my air. I twisted my head to the side and managed to get a piece of his flesh between my teeth. I bit down hard into his palm. The man grunted in pain. I ground my teeth together and tore at him, and all of a sudden he let go. As he was about to come back at me a wolf leaped through the air from the doorway and took him down to the ground, tearing out his neck.

A Day later I decide that I must figure out who sent the assassin. Robb says they found the pen where the man had been staying and they found a big pouch of golden stags in it. Someone from Kings Landing must of sent him nobody around here carries around this much wealth. I head to the broken tower where Brandon fell. I find a long golden strand of hair. Lannisters. I gather my son Robb, Master-At-Arms Rodrick, Maester Luwin, and Theon to discuss my findings and suspicions. I tell them I think Brandon was pushed from the broken tower and that the Lannisters may be involved. Rodrick makes note of the dagger used. It’s made of Valyrian steel. Too fine of a weapon for the assassin. I decide that Ned must be told about this in person. Robb volunteers to go himself.

Catelyn has a decision to make.

A. Go to Kings Landing herself to warn Ned.

B. Let Robb go to Kings Landing to warn Ned.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast