Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Back To Top    #51
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    It isn't his job to worry about them. Just like it isn't their job to worry about us. You guys still won't answer my question. If Kim bombs us what would you expect trump to do?
    Well, it is, actually. Like I said in my previous post, he's a world leader & a leader of a particularly powerful country, one that has historically positioned itself as the global keeper of democracy & western values. Like I also said in my previous post, South Korea & Japan are allies of the US (as is Australia, for that matter, which is within range of North Korean missiles). A good world leader concerns him-or-herself with not only their own people, but the people of their allied countries. And also the people of the world as a whole. Place their own country first by all means, but a good world leader should not just dismiss every other country as though they don't matter.

It's also the job of other countries to worry about the US & its welfare. There are such things as treaties & alliances between the US & other countries - you do understand that, right? For example, the ANZUS treaty dictates that if the US is attacked, Australia must come to its defence and vice versa (and presumably New Zealand given the NZ in the treaty's name). It was invoked after 9/11 for instance, & we went to war with you in Afghanistan. So in its those allied countries' best interests if the US does not jump into or get dragged into conflict. Not to mention that given the size of the US' economy & political status, whatever is bad for it is often bad for much of the rest of the world.

As for your question, if the US is bombed I'd fully expect Trump to retaliate. That's the problem.

2. Back To Top    #52
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    Well, it is, actually. Like I said in my previous post, he's a world leader & a leader of a particularly powerful country, one that has historically positioned itself as the global keeper of democracy & western values. Like I also said in my previous post, South Korea & Japan are allies of the US (as is Australia, for that matter, which is within range of North Korean missiles). A good world leader concerns him-or-herself with not only their own people, but the people of their allied countries. And also the people of the world as a whole. Place their own country first by all means, but a good world leader should not just dismiss every other country as though they don't matter.

It's also the job of other countries to worry about the US & its welfare. There are such things as treaties & alliances between the US & other countries - you do understand that, right? For example, the ANZUS treaty dictates that if the US is attacked, Australia must come to its defence and vice versa (and presumably New Zealand given the NZ in the treaty's name). It was invoked after 9/11 for instance, & we went to war with you in Afghanistan. So in its those allied countries' best interests if the US does not jump into or get dragged into conflict. Not to mention that given the size of the US' economy & political status, whatever is bad for it is often bad for much of the rest of the world.

As for your question, if the US is bombed I'd fully expect Trump to retaliate. That's the problem.
    I agree with everything you've said here. But your last sentence has me wondering. Are you saying the US shouldn't retaliate if were bombed? I think any of our presidents, including Obama, would retaliate to a direct attack on America. I don't see a problem with that, of course war would be a terrible thing, but Trump would have no choice. He or any other president would wipe out North Korea once and for all.

3. Back To Top    #53
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Level

I still disagree. Why should he worry about people that are wanting to kill us? You still didn't answer my question. As usual you danced around it. What would YOU want trump to do if we were attacked?

4. Back To Top    #54
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Level
    I guess Kim is backing off the Guam threat

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-k...eat-1502751054

5. Back To Top    #55
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    I guess Kim is backing off the Guam threat

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-k...eat-1502751054
    Yeah, I wonder why - fire and fury, perhaps?

6. Back To Top    #56
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Level
    Definitely.

Shit is gonna hit the fan eventually, probably sooner than later.
    Hopefully nothing nuclear BUT I'm not putting it past the nutjobs having a dick-weighing competition.
    Live today like it's your last day on earth I guess?

7. Back To Top    #57
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Dee View Post
    I agree with everything you've said here. But your last sentence has me wondering. Are you saying the US shouldn't retaliate if were bombed? I think any of our presidents, including Obama, would retaliate to a direct attack on America. I don't see a problem with that, of course war would be a terrible thing, but Trump would have no choice. He or any other president would wipe out North Korea once and for all.
    I still disagree. Why should he worry about people that are wanting to kill us? You still didn't answer my question. As usual you danced around it. What would YOU want trump to do if we were attacked?
    Sorry, I should have been more clear: I'd expect ANY president to retaliate if the US was attacked...that's only natural. I certainly didn't have any issues with Bush invading Afghanistan, although that was more me hating the Taliban than anything else (Iraq was a whole other matter). I'm no pacifist & I certainly support using force to defend yourself. The problem I have is that if North Korea finds itself under attack it will unleash anything & everything in its arsenal, striking not only the US but American allies - including my own country. Japan & South Korea would be hit especially hard & tens or hundreds of thousands - possibly millions - of people would be killed, especially if nuclear weapons are used.

I also don't trust China not to get involved since it's not in their interest to have North Korea wiped out, which could lead to a more widespread & long term conflict which would have a terrible impact on the world at large. That's my problem.

@Sadie if you go back & read my post you'll see I was actually saying Trump should concern himself with the citizens of Japan & South Korea. They don't want to kill you; they're your allies. So yes, he should worry about them.

8. Back To Top    #58
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Level
    Sorry, I should have been more clear: I'd expect ANY president to retaliate if the US was attacked...that's only natural. I certainly didn't have any issues with Bush invading Afghanistan, although that was more me hating the Taliban than anything else (Iraq was a whole other matter). I'm no pacifist & I certainly support using force to defend yourself. The problem I have is that if North Korea finds itself under attack it will unleash anything & everything in its arsenal, striking not only the US but American allies - including my own country. Japan & South Korea would be hit especially hard & tens or hundreds of thousands - possibly millions - of people would be killed, especially if nuclear weapons are used.

I also don't trust China not to get involved since it's not in their interest to have North Korea wiped out, which could lead to a more widespread & long term conflict which would have a terrible impact on the world at large. That's my problem.

@Sadie if you go back & read my post you'll see I was actually saying Trump should concern himself with the citizens of Japan & South Korea. They don't want to kill you; they're your allies. So yes, he should worry about them.
    I sure hope Trump doesn't put other countries ahead of ours. He's supposed to be protecting us..not everyone in the world

9. Back To Top    #59
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Level
    I sure hope Trump doesn't put other countries ahead of ours. He's supposed to be protecting us..not everyone in the world
    By all means the leader of a country should put said country at the forefront of their concerns; that's only natural. But they shouldn't dismiss other countries or the people of other countries as though they don't matter. Like I've said several times now, a good leader should consider not just what is good for their own country but the world as a whole. And as I also said in a previous post, the US has historically positioned itself as a keeper of democracy & western values - that's kind of like protecting at least a large part of the world, wouldn't you say?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456