1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Token Black Guy FN-2199 "Nines"'s Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level

The Orville

Chad L Coleman has joined the cast of The Orville. He plays and alien called Klyven. He hasn't appeared in the first episode. Not sure when he debuts. It will be a little strange to see him in a comedic role. He joins Scott Grimes of Band Of Brothers and Seth McFarland as well as Raj's dad on Big Bang Theory as well as many other well known actors. The show, even though it's a Seth McFarland show, doesn't have all of the riotous schlock comedy of his other shows and his Million Ways To Die In The West. I doubt any one will get the Fart Needles or fart out of their penis, but its still funny.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Level
    I caught the first episode and liked it enough to keep watching. I gave up on Family Guy a few years ago and wasn't sure what to expect of this. I'm glad to hear that Chad Colemans been cast, but having never seen him do comedy I don't know what to expect from him either.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Level
    I watched the first episode but I won't be going any further. Not because I thought the first episode was absolute garbage but because it wasn't anything special either and I can see myself getting bored of it eventually. Not only that, the time of it was a major turn off. No comedy series should be that long. Also, it's Fox and it has a big budget so it's gonna get canceled.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    I tried watching it, but couldn't get through the episode. I think Seth McFarlane's stock has fallen a lot in the past couple of years. He's not that funny anymore.

Good to see Chad getting some work, even if it's short lived (until the show is cancelled).

I also saw Lawrence Gilliard on The Deuce this week. Pretty good show so far.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    Seth McFarlane's stock has fallen a lot in the past couple of years.
    Seth's stock dropped when he himself became a celebrity and he got a huge ego. When his only focus was Family Guy he was pretty cool. When American Dad was made originally I thought it was better than Family Guy because that's where his passion went but then eventually all of the shows started to suck because he was doing so much. I mean, I can't really think of many times where the behind the scenes creator of something becums a celebrity. You don't see Matt Groening from Simpsons/Futurama or Mike Judge from Beavis & Butt-head/King of the Hill starring in big time live action things. The closest I can think is Matt Stone and Trey Parker but it's well documented how much they hate fame and Hollywood and even when they do outside things it's very rare and even then 95% of the time it's passion projects. Seth MacFarlane whores himself out now.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Autograph Hunter DeLongeWannabe's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm glad Chad is getting the work.
    He was one of the most underused talents on TWD, in my opinion.
    It's just unfortunate that he's now on a Seth McFarlane property...which will no doubt be cancelled.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Seth's stock dropped when he himself became a celebrity and he got a huge ego. When his only focus was Family Guy he was pretty cool. When American Dad was made originally I thought it was better than Family Guy because that's where his passion went but then eventually all of the shows started to suck because he was doing so much. I mean, I can't really think of many times where the behind the scenes creator of something becums a celebrity. You don't see Matt Groening from Simpsons/Futurama or Mike Judge from Beavis & Butt-head/King of the Hill starring in big time live action things. The closest I can think is Matt Stone and Trey Parker but it's well documented how much they hate fame and Hollywood and even when they do outside things it's very rare and even then 95% of the time it's passion projects. Seth MacFarlane whores himself out now.
    Have you seen Ted 2?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Level
    Have you seen Ted 2?
    I don't think I did. I may have. I saw Ted 1 for sure.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I don't think I did. I may have. I saw Ted 1 for sure.
    You might have blocked the trauma from your memory then, if you have. That movie was clearly for the pay check.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Level
    You might have blocked the trauma from your memory then, if you have. That movie was clearly for the pay check.
    Unless there is some big overarching story, movie sequels are almost always for the paycheck and/or their ego. I don't think anyone watched Ted 1 and thought "THIS SHOULD BE A FRANCHISE!"

Ted is basically the new Hangover. The first is kinda okay I guess If you are just looking for something stoopit to watch so you don't have to think all that much but then they try to turn it in to a franchise and repeat the same shit over and over.

I have a hard time thinking of comedy sequels that have ever been that good. There is a few but it's quite rare. Ghostbusters 2 is a good example of one working but there is still a dip in quality from the first. Clerks 2 is one of my favorite movies as well but thats also different because there is a huge 12 year gap in between the first and second movie so Kevin Smith was able to bring a lot of new things to it. Also, it told a different story just with the same characters and dug a bit deeper in to who those characters were and added some drama in there. When drama gets added comedy sequels get easier to make because then the characters start to feel like real people instead of clowns. I think that's why Back To The Future worked so much. There was more there than just comedy. But I think even for Back To The Future everyone can agree the first was the best of the trilogy and the others were still cash grabs, just cash grabs that worked.

The only comedy sequel I can think of that is pretty much exactly the same as the first movie and still just as good as it is Home Alone 2 but that's just because it took the Terminator 2 approach. It's everything you loved about the first but on steroids. I think in most cases that wouldn't work in the comedy world though. I usually like comedies staying relatively small and trying to work with what they have instead of being lazy and just spending money to cover its flaws but with Home Alone 2 it somehow worked. Home Alone 2 is the exception.

That said, even in the rare cases of the good sequels I've mentioned. This is Ted we are talking about. Ted isn't even in the same league as those films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.