1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Level

Game of Thrones Prequel Pilot Ordered by HBO

HBO has officially greenlit a follow-up pilot to its acclaimed international hit Game of Thrones and it sounds just as massively ambitious as the original series.

The network has ordered a prequel drama from writer Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass) and author George R.R. Martin. The network has released an official description of the show’s storyline, and it’s another tale spread across multiple locations and clans: Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

According to Martin’s books, the Age of Heroes began 10,000 years before the events in GoT. Some of the major names which could be characters in the new show include Bran the Builder (who founded House Stark and oversaw construction of The Wall and Winterfell) and Lann the Clever (who founded House Lannister). The era led into the Long Night — a winter that lasted a generation — and the greatest war against the white walkers. Then again, that’s what we think we know, and the logline for the new show says this is “not the story we think we know.”

The pilot doesn’t yet have a title. If greenlit to series, HBO has previously stated that no successor series will air until a year after GoT has its series finale. Since the eighth and final season of GoT is coming next year, the soonest we can see a successor series is 2020. If ordered to series, this will mark the first time in HBO’s history that the premium cable network has made a successor series to one of its shows.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/06/08/game-th...e-goldman/amp/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    Lame....

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Level
    I think it sounds great!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Level
    I guess this story will be specifically written for the screen. Which means if they get the right people and leave the tone of GoT it should be good

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuffVille View Post
    Lame....
    Can you at least specify why you think it's lame ? Also, glad it's not airing alongside the main show like some other franchise that we know .

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Great stuff. GoT's backstory and lore allows for like 10 prequels of awesome stories. Just imagine seeing Aegon's conquest on TV..... a man can dream.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow17 View Post
    Can you at least specify why you think it's lame ? Also, glad it's not airing alongside the main show like some other franchise that we know .
    Lol. Who cares why he thinks it’s lame. ASOIAF/GOT haters as well as “fans” who started watching after S4 have opinions that don’t matter. Not trying to be rude or anything. The funny thing is that for those that watch for the CGI, this series will be filled with amazing visuals given the amount of money they’re pouring into it. So unfortunately those “fans” will stick around. ��

Quote Originally Posted by AnteroX View Post
    Great stuff. GoT's backstory and lore allows for like 10 prequels of awesome stories. Just imagine seeing Aegon's conquest on TV..... a man can dream.
    I’ve always hoped for Aegon’s conquest on the big screen. Field of Fire would be awesome in 3D. I don’t see the point of fleshing out Age of Heroes, the Long Night, Dawn Age, etc in such painstaking detail, however. So I’m guessing this will ultimately lead into the Andal Invasion. Since they’re also focusing on Essos, unless they are including original material, there’s no way they cannot eventually show the Doom of Valyria. That is way way way after Age of Heroes. Nothing suggests that so far. Hopefully I’m right.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Awaiting Gimple's Replacement In Negan's Bed.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Level
    Sounds like it could be good.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I like the stuff that writer has worked on, so it could be good.

That being said, as a huge fan of GoT/ASoIaF (and one who is sick of waiting for the next book), this could really go either way. The way I'm predicting it will go, however, is that the characters won't have the same kind of depth as the main series and the plot won't be as interesting. It will be like the Star Wars main series compared to the spin offs. They're alright but pretty forgettable.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Level
    Glad to hear this...the first long night was one of my top picks for 'successor' shows i wanted to see!