Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    Nick was killed beacues Frank wanted that. This is a completely different situation.

The article isn't about dismissal of Dickens beacuse she was old. It's more about how she was treated aby the showrunnes and AMC and how it fitted into "hollywood ageism". The article says that in the entertainment industry less than 40% of speaking roles went to woman, no matter of their age. In the cable arena, about 30% of female characters were 40 and older. Most of the roles for women were created for an actresses in their 20 and 30, whereas most male characters were created for man in the 30 and older. What is more important, in most cases female role where only supporting, eventualy in rare ocassion it was co-lead.

Dickens was a very rare example of an actress over 40 that ended up beeing a lead character in not only a mainstream TV series but also in a very specyfic genre. It was a strong aspect of the spin-off that was praised many times. And then, out of nowhere, without no reason and sense, she was dismissed from the show. Even though that Dickens is a respected actress that took the lead in the early 3 seasons, she couldn't even talked the showrunners out of their idea beacuse the decision was made. The article compared her situation to Andrew Lincoln situation. He, as a lead actor, not only spend a more than a half time Dickens did in Fear (9 season to 3 and a half season), but also could walk out from TWD in his terms. When he wanted and probably how he wanted. Not to mention, he also got the pay rise to hold him on TWD even longer. Dickens didn't have this privelege at all.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Nick was killed beacues Frank wanted that. This is a completely different situation.

The article isn't about dismissal of Dickens beacuse she was old. It's more about how she was treated aby the showrunnes and AMC and how it fitted into "hollywood ageism". The article says that in the entertainment industry less than 40% of speaking roles went to woman, no matter of their age. In the cable arena, about 30% of female characters were 40 and older. Most of the roles for women were created for an actresses in their 20 and 30, whereas most male characters were created for man in the 30 and older. What is more important, in most cases female role where only supporting, eventualy in rare ocassion it was co-lead.

Dickens was a very rare example of an actress over 40 that ended up beeing a lead character in not only a mainstream TV series but also in a very specyfic genre. It was a strong aspect of the spin-off that was praised many times. And then, out of nowhere, without no reason and sense, she was dismissed from the show. Even though that Dickens is a respected actress that took the lead in the early 3 seasons, she couldn't even talked the showrunners out of their idea beacuse the decision was made. The article compared her situation to Andrew Lincoln situation. He, as a lead actor, not only spend a more than a half time Dickens did in Fear (9 season to 3 and a half season), but also could walk out from TWD in his terms. When he wanted and probably how he wanted. Not to mention, he also got the pay rise to hold him on TWD even longer. Dickens didn't have this privelege at all.
    I love Kim Dickens, and I loved Madison. I wish she hadn't been written out. I don't think, though, that TPTB sat there twirling each others' moustaches, telling each other how much they hate Kim Dickens because she's over 40, and exchanging ideas of how they can get rid of her. They have a story to write and produce, and somewhere in the creative process, someone came up with an idea that fit for the long term. I don't doubt that the idea might have sprung from Frank Dillane's season 3 request to be released and their musings over how they might give him a proper sendoff while serving the story and hitting the audience in the feels. Speaking only for myself, we all sat here after Nick's death anticipating his mother learning of it and wondering how it would affect her character going forward.

His death seems all the more brilliantly done in the context of hers, hers spared her the knowledge of the death of her "sensitive little boy", got me to crying, and thinned the cast. Jenna Elfman is over 40, and there was a ton of focus on her, and the show had a chance to inject a little romance.

I know ageism exists, but just like it is with all the rest of the -isms, actions don't necessarily have to be the result of those. You can't (although you did) just make a list of stuff to justify a cry of "ism" to support a generality you're hoping to create. Nothing personal against you. I don't know you at all. Generating motives to apply to people by projecting meaning to cherry picked data is the new way of being right. I suppose it's cheaper than a psychic.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Level
    Ageism against women is a definite problem in Hollywood, but I don't know that it's the reason for Madison's exit from the show. If they replace her as the lead character with the younger, hotter Al then I might raise my eyebrow, but right now I don't see any evidence of ageism. As people have pointed out, Jenna Elfman is in her 40s & there's also MMB from the other show.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Level
    In my head, they killed her off because she's a terrible actress.

Realistically, I think they wanted to go for shocking.

There's plenty of women in Hollywood in major roles.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Awaiting Gimple's Replacement In Negan's Bed.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    In my head, they killed her off because she's a terrible actress.

Realistically, I think they wanted to go for shocking.

There's plenty of women in Hollywood in major roles.
    I agree. I'm so glad that I don't have to watch her 'try' to act anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

This is such a crock of shit. I for one am glad she is gone and it was hard for me stomach her acting for the longest time and I'm hoping that her daughter takes over the lead role since I have admired ADC since that god awful show she was in on the CW where they use the bury your gay and biphobic tropes.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Level
    Maybe ageism, sexism or some other "ism" did exist on subconscience level, I'm not in the minds of these individuals, but I heard some YouTube review that Fear is moving away from the theme of surviving for family that they lifted from TWD towards a theme of "hope" without an ensemble cast. Perhaps, they could have done that with Madison? I think they could have weaned the audiance off of the Clarks...lol! This move may have even worked at a different point in time. It's the timing of these losses. TWD/FTWD is one franchise and the loss of Carl on TWD has reverberations on Fear. What's the point of having one person oversee the whole franchise, if you don't protect it from these issues that destabilize everything.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    She could've been a hot 30 yo MILF and they still would've killed her off. There's no 'sexism' or 'ageism' or whatever. Just shitty writers lol.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Level
    I only watched S1 of Fear, but I didn't think she was a terrific actress to begin with. This article comes across as trying to capitalize on the perpetually aggrieved among us. When everything is ...... then nothing is...... .

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    I guess someone "could" make an ageism case based on the fact that there are now three male leads over 40 and only one female. If Daniel comes back, it would be 4 to 1. In the end though, I still think they were going for shocking and thinking they were really creative by dragging it out with flashbacks for 8 episodes. I (and probably many other fans) really wanted to see how Nick's death would impact Maddy going forward. Instead, what we got was a predictable and boring death. So, instead of seeing Madison deal with the loss of her son and how she reacts to the news that Charlie killed him, we'll most likely get regurgitated bits of "all life is precious" and/or crazy Morgan.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Level
    I mean, I don't think this is it in this case. I think this was just Gimple not giving a fuck about Fear and wanting to give Morgan his own show. He doesn't care about the story in fear, or the original characters, or anything like that. He'd blow the whole thing up just to tell the story he wants to tell. That's why a lot of people were saying Fear S4 is being treated like a new show. Which is totally bullshit but I think that was the idea. They wanted to turn it in to something different and basically just ignore most of the first 3 seasons and make Season 4 a transitional season to slowly turn it in to what Gimple wants the show to be now. It just fucking annoys me that they said when talking about making this season that they "aren't looking to remove things" and are only looking to add things (such as new characters) but as you can see from the first episode of S4 and on they ARE removing things. They are removing a lot of what made the show what it was.

This is one of the very first official pictures we ever saw of Fear The Walking Dead:

And now they are all dead. Gimple came in and took everything over. He got rid of the showrunner and replaced him with Gimple fanboys, he ignored S3 for the most part, he killed off the last 2 Season 1 leads and is now giving Morgan the show. It's so fukt. But no, this wasn't an age thing. It was a Gimple being Gimple thing.

That said, I guess it's kinda true that Maddie was one of the few older leading ladies on TV. Especially in the action/horror genre. So I guess that's kinda a bummer. I never really thought about it. Some have said Naomi and Stoopit Carol but they aren't the lead characters of their show.

Even if I think this is bullshit (at least in this case) I wouldn't mind this being used against AMC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast