2 1.14%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #31
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Extravagantjoke, Specialk and Camay31 have already made some eloquent points around this episode which I won't repeat-

By Character:

Tara: Alanna Masterson did a beautiful job tonight as Tara who is clearly struggling with whether or not she can come back from her choices to have faith in The Governor and join in the prison attack. I liked Abe's counsel to her, Eugene's support and compliment to her and the ways in which that group and Glenn supported her search for peace/acceptance and a reason to live beyond her "mission" of helping Glenn find Maggie.

Glenn's choice to give Tara a sort of clean slate when introducing her to Maggie offered her a chance to find that acceptance and choose to make a life for herself with these new people around her, a life that includes self-worth, loves on all levels and of course Hope if she can come back and forgive herself. Forgiveness seems to be one of the season's recurring themes as many of the characters struggle with it especially in 4-B. I hope Tara can forgive herself, start sleeping and continue growing into an interesting character.

Abraham: Cudilitz is such a great actor and is clearly having fun with those role- almost as much fun as I have watching him bring Abraham to life! His blunt, yet amusing conversation with Tara wrapped his caring and concern for her in gruff joking but his heart is good.

Loved his obvious respect for Glenn tonight despite the fight and the steely determination each man has for the other despite conflicting missions. And once Eugene made the decision, Abe barreled in to give it his best shot to find Glenn and Tara with Maggie and the others.

Eugene Josh McDermitt gave a wonderful performance tonight, his flat affect and Southern accent leading Eugene though stilted phrases (phrasing!) and the odd but common habit of more formal words and diction capturing the character so well. I know people like Eugene...

His banter with Rosita was a lovely scene because we finally got to see what we have commented on before but never seen with Rick's group- people who care about each other, but are also tired of each other, know each other well and are just sick of being around each other sometimes. I have been waiting to see this on screen since season 2 and it did not disappoint me!

Abe's group clearly cares for one another and have/will form family just as Rick's group at the prison did. And from family comes strength, hope and many reasons to live, no?

Eugene's choice to ignore Abe so he could live with himself and his choices to help Glenn and Tara and of course Maggie, was endearing and balanced nicely with the earlier awkwardness of dinosaurs ( I love dinos!) and also Tara being hot- those social cues!

Rick, Michonne, Carl: I was a bit disappointed not to see as much of these favorite characters of mine of course, but what we did see was wonderful to me. That group deserved some lighthearted moments, smiles/laughter and even candy bars as games were played and life was good even if only for a moment after their 4-B journey. More moments to come in the future please, even if we have to wait until season 5 for it. Their 4-B journeys have been so difficult emotionally, physically and in terns of inner growth. Lovely they had a bit of a break tonight,

The Marauders:

Joe was wonderful- reminded me of the type of small-time grifter who would con churches out of their funds or hit on clients too ashamed to call the authorities later. Jeff Kobor is such a strong actor- loved seeing him balance Norman Reedus and get a strong performance from him as well. Joe likes to keep his hands clean and set up for others to do the dirty brutal physical work. I'm curious to see how his role plays out and what happens in the future.

The claimed bit felt overdone to me frankly, I mean they may as well have just peed on things to claim them except that rabbit does not marry well with urine of course:) it felt a bit forced but I felt it was a plot device, albeit heavy-handed.

Davi Jay, Eric Mendenhall and others have good performances- I'm glad the show has been able to get actors for these small roles and wish Kirk Acevedo had been cast in this group instead. Sigh...

Daryl: I think we forget sometimes that Daryl has also dealt with abusive relationships although not in a marital one as did Carol. This part of his journey with identity and trying to hold on to "who he is and not who he was" as Beth said, interested me more than I thought. Imagine how seductive and easy it might seem for him to fall back into pack mentality with these brutal men who fight for and over everything from beds to food to revenge. It is after all, the world Daryl knew so well, the politics of it, the timing of it and all the wild dog rules.

Joe is a more polished, version of Merle from manipulative comments to planting that half rabbit to get rid of Len and test Daryl as he stood back and watched. This of course harkens back to Merle and even their father in ways that shaped Daryl from childhood on, so the pull would be so strong for Daryl to fall back into that world in which he lived and survived long before he met the prison group.

Daryl's "I'm not a wuss" right to his claiming openly by the end of the episode was well done- Norman Reedus used a fearful Daryl well, just as we saw him in the Woodbury arena in season 3, when he had to fight against Merle then. It was a strong performance from NR IMO and I was glad he had Jeff Kobor off whom he could play strength to strength.

Daryl will have some hard choices to make with this band of assholes and to stay alive in order to meet up with Rick and the others. His journey will be harder than many of the other characters I think because he still struggles with self-doubt and was only starting to feel comfortable with who he was becoming at the prison. Had he been that prison Daryl long enough for it to become who he is? I think so but of course the show may make us wonder about that for a while.

More later
    Last edited by Ripley; March 24th, 2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: why do I miss typos?

2. Back To Top    #32
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I liked the episode well enough, not close to last weeks ep. I didn't want to like Joe, but somehow
    I do, Jeff Kober is a great actor his southern accent is right on. Did not think I would like Eugene but he has grown on me as well, in fact I am wondering if his character may be based on some of the men in my neighborhood LOL! I must have a soft spot for rednecks with a mullet

3. Back To Top    #33
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    I liked this episode...it was slower, as I think it needed to be after last week's. It was a set up for the finale and I think now we know where everyone is at physically and emotionally.

First of all , I absolutely LOVE Rick, Michonne and Carl. I just love them. They are a true family. As NR says, damaged people gravitate to damaged people. Unlike Carol and Daryl, these people haven't put up the walls to keep others out. Michonne is just a kid in so many ways and is a perfect friend for Carl... and Rick. They both need her and she needs them.

Jeff Kober as Joe is amazing... an undercurrent of cruelty couched in a logical and intelligent outlook of rules. My initial reaction was that Joe held a professional career at some point (despite what he said about soccer coaches last week). I thought, maybe a lawyer. He is intelligent and has Daryl pinned. And I wonder what he wants form Daryl. He seems determined to keep Daryl under his wing.

I was struck by the similarities between Joe and Daryl when Joe said things got better after the turn. I thought that might be a warning to Daryl but it doesn't seem to have yet. I think Daryl finds this man comforting, it harkens back to his roots, and is being sucked in by him. Something will happen to snap Daryl out of it. I hope it isn't the end for him. Despite what many feel is a character owned by AMC, I see the possibility of an end to his character in a sad and tragic way.

I have already spoken to how I think Daryl needs to break though his shackles before he runs into Rick and/or Carol in the Daryl/Carol thread. In a nutshell, Daryl needs to accept who he is, who he wants to be on his own and then own it. It can't come from seeing Rick or Carol again. He seemed over his head at times in this episode. He does what he needs to do to survive. At some point that won't be enough.

Loved the scene when Glenn saw the sign from Maggie. Guess you could say I cried.

I loved finding out that Rosita is intelligent.

Finally, on Talking Dead, I really appreciated SY's comments about the "totems" he took from the prison. I hope they make it back to their rightful owners..

4. Back To Top    #34
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I am amazed by Joe's vocabulary. I know he's the bad guy but I like his character. And why do I sense that they'll develop a Tara/Rosita pairing.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    gave it a 7..

• Michonne and Carl are SO ADORABLE. if anything happens (like death :( ) to their relationship, i'll riot. Big times.
    • I almost shed a tear for Glaggie reunion. So sweet :)
    • Still not that excited about Abraham's group but i start to like them (not "just because" Abraham is awesome in the comics)
    • Now Tara has really grown on me :)
    • Funniest scene was by far when Eugene's car seat hit Abraham in the face

Worried about forshadowing.. I have a feeling that Glenn burning Maggie's picture or Carl/Michonne could mean something bad :((

Overall, i liked the episode but it did NOT feel like a preliminary episode... And now i am a little bit worried about the finale, how can 42 minutes be enough???
    Also, again too less of Rick & Co. And no Carol :(
    Anyways, oddest thing about Terminus is that there were no other people to be seen except for that woman. If it really was a safe community, then there would be a lot of people there, don't you think? Still wondering what (or who^^) will be served as a plate..

6. Back To Top    #36
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Level
    I thought last night was a good piece of drama, not the best, but a decent episode that kept me interested throughout. The Daryl/Joe arc was the most interesting to me.

Rick/Michonne/Carl - It was wonderful to see those three again, and after seeming them, I get why we haven't seen much of them the last few episodes. They are thriving (as much as you can in a ZA). They are clearly bonding as a family, and watching the smile on Rick's face as Michonne and Carl got closer was a nice change of pace for him. He hasn't had much joy. So there was no real imminent danger for them.

Carl/Abraham/Rosita/Eugene - This group ended up being predictable for me. I know Glenn was bound and determined to find Maggie, and so I knew that pursuit would continue. Imo, he was the real badass of the group because nothing was going to keep him from getting to Maggie, including a potential tunnel full of walkers. Now THAT'S devotion. The Maggie/Glenn reunion, for some reason, felt anti-climactic. Perhaps because Glenn knew she was alive due to the sign posts she kept leaving. I did love his reaction when he saw those. It was great to see Glenn and Maggie together, but it would have been nice to see the reaction between Sasha and Bob as well. The Abraham/Rosita/Eugene group are kind of bickering family with one "dad" and two younger kids.

The Daryl/Joe arc was the most interesting and kept my attention. I was really worried that Daryl was going to regress, and he did and he didn't. First off, Joe is a very charismatic character. Heck, I even liked him, and I don't think I'm suppose to. He saw something in Daryl that he liked immediately and set out to seduce him into the group. Daryl refused to yield. He wasn't going to claim anything, and there were no rules. But I also realized last night that Daryl is the ultimate survivor. It was the only way to survive a brutal childhood. It was clear to Joe that the bearded asshole was going to be the problem in keeping Daryl, and so he had to go. The bearded guy clearly felt threatened by Daryl and went out of his way to try and rid the group of him, but Joe kept quietly taking Daryl's side. He also kept whispering in Daryl's ear a familiar mantra: You're never going to be one of them. He said this over and over to Daryl in a friendly, even kind way. This was especially true with "You know what the saddest thing is - Watching an outdoor cat try to become an indoor cat." Translation: You will never be the happily ever after, domestic, white picket fence guy. And judging by how Daryl ended up, it seemed true. EVERY other member of the prison group ended up with someone that was a fighter and/or capable of working together as a team. Daryl ended up with Beth, a very good hearted person, but someone Daryl had to constantly guard and protect. He was constantly on watch with her, and she ended up getting hurt and twisting her ankle, and while looking out for her, he uncharacteristically let down his guard, and she was gone. Now he's adapting again because he had to, and because he believes everyone he loves is dead. The true test will come when he is able to make a choice - right now he doesn't have one. I was upset at first for Daryl staying with them, but then I thought "What choice does he have?" Yeah, he could go out on his own, but Joe seemed likable enough, especially once the bearded guy was gone. Like I said, the true test will come when he sees his prison family. He thinks he's alone right now.

I don't see Daryl as weak. I see Daryl as damaged. Daryl never fell back into pack mentality. Even though he remained with Joe's group, he was separate from them. He didn't beat up that jackass. He didn't participate in his death. He didn't hang out with anyone in that group, and the only person he ever engaged in conversation was Joe. Now Joe is dangerous because he is so darn likable. He's almost a hybrid of Rick/Merle. He's got the kindness in his voice, patient, intelligent, big brotherly way about him, and we of course know he has the other side - the one who will murder his own and who is hunting down Rick (even though Daryl doesn't yet know). So I can see what Daryl likes about Joe. I even like him a bit. Jeff Kober was great. But Daryl is connected to his prison family, and there is no way he's staying with Joe if he sees Rick, Michonne, Carl, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Tyreese, Sasha, etc. Joe and his marauders is Daryl's choice right now, but it will be interesting when Joe realizes that the guy they are hunting is Daryl's best friend.

So overall, a good episode, not great, but not bad at all.
    Last edited by Maxum; March 24th, 2014 at 04:35 AM.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    8 - enjoyed it, probably would have given it a nine but I watched The Grove first and it was awesome again, so I was a smidge let down. I do believe Glenn covering for Tara will spell the end of he and Maggie eventually.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I gave the episode 8/10.

Glenn pushing on to find Maggie to the point that he neglected Tara's injury, even if it was minor, was an irritation, but he did make up for it when he wouldn't abandon her in the tunnel. That he didn't tell Maggie the truth about her will probably weigh on Tara's conscience and I'd guess she'll eventually breakdown and tell Maggie the truth. I'm glad they reunited though and it was a sweet moment. Nice to see people getting back together at last.
    Maggie should also keep the poncho. She looks cute in it.

Abraham and co were fleshed out more which was good to see. I feel like I'm missing the point with Eugene right now, but I'm growing a little warmer with Abraham and Rosita.

Rick's group was brief. He smiled so shits about to go down. We get it- Michonne and Carl are cute and buds now. There's no need to smash it over our heads any more!

Joe doesn't like people lying to him. I guess Daryl will be lying to him very soon then. And I guess Daryl might claim one of Rick's group (Michonne) as well since we were shown their concept of claiming more than it needed to be shown if it weren't going to come up again. We also see that these guys are not a close group, they're just together and have no problem killing Len when ordered.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    615 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ElJacko View Post
    If Tara gets redemption death'd in the finale, I am done with the show. As Nana said, it's cliched and bullshit. There are a lot of other characters set up to have redemption deaths too, including Carol. All these built up redemptions, and the show seems prepped to throw them out the window by killing the character.

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic, but I just wanted to say that.
    I think even those who don't like Tara would agree that she hasn't even done anything wrong so why would she need a "redemption" death.

Pretty much everyone on the show has had to kill a human to survive, Remember the Hermit? Tara hasn't even done that much, she was with people that did bad things but she backed out.

The reason I kinda want Beth to die in a horrific way is because she's not built up as a redemption death and shes a character that's been on the show for a very long time. I think her Death could also yknow tease us some Character arcs for next season because it would directly impact both Daryl and Maggie.

Maggie - Her sister, but also that she chose to look for Glenn over her sister.
    Daryl - he lost her.

Next season it could send Maggie down a dark path, and it could actually give Daryl something to do instead of kill shit and look cool.

Another possibility is Tyreese which could directly impact both Sasha and Carol.

Tyreese & Beth are 2 characters that really haven't done anything wrong and I miss those out of nowhere character deaths we once had. Not every death needs to be built up, sure some can be but not all of them.

Seriously, when was the last time someone got bit in the middle of a fight with a couple walkers? T-Dog?
    When was the last time someone got bit out of nowheres? Hershel at the beginning of Season 3?

So like 25 episodes ago. lol.
    Last edited by Jay; March 24th, 2014 at 06:23 AM.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Status
    Problem Child Semolina Pilchard's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    8/10, one scene with Rick just ain't enough. WE. WANT. MORE RICK.
    Hell, yeah.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast