Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Brenda Romero's game 'Train'- the nature of terminus?? (controversial art game)

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, please do move if needs be... I thought that some of the spoilers relating to the finale might come up when discussing this!

So I was doing totally independent research on board games created as art pieces, when I was looking at Brenda Romero's 'Train' and came across this picture:

Yep, terminus! Coincidence? Perhaps not!

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/11/br...ame-holocaust/

See the above link for an article. THIS IS NOT A PRODUCTION GAME!! There's only one in existence and it's meant to make you think... Basically the game is that the player loads up train cars with little yellow 'people' pegs and the objective is to deliver them to the destination, picking up cards along the way which may speed or hinder their progress. The train car is a little too small for the pegs, meaning you have to ram them in all which ways once there starts being quite a few of them... there are intentional 'missing instructions/explanations' which force the players to stop during playing to agree to the rules they wish to play by to finish the game...

And the whole point of the piece, the 'game', is that the player has no idea what they're playing, just that they're trying to get to a destination. Then the destination is revealed to be a Nazi concentration camp (eg Auschwitz) on the turn of a card at the certain point in the game, which suddenly puts a whole new gruesome spin on their actions and their complicity throughout the game- there is no winning. And they reached their destination, and forced others to, by choice.

Anyway I thought this might be of interest, particularly considering the fact that there is a Walking Dead board game as part of the franchise, so I can only imagine that RK is aware of this 'game'. This 'game'/art piece is particularly chilling, and I have to wonder whether Terminus in the Walking Dead will have similarly chilling connotations or be loosely allegorical of internment camps. Consider also that the fifth episode of this season was called 'internment', and the finale is called 'A' (Auschwitz?).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Level
    That's interesting and also obscure.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Doesn't Terminus mean "end"?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    This is incredibly intriguing. I think you have, perhaps, just explained the reasons as to how the walkers are turning into 'hordes' and showing up in such great sums in specific locations. Love this! Awesome find!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by keewee View Post
    Doesn't Terminus mean "end"?
    Yep, and in both this 'game' and TWD represent a destination that the 'players' are aiming for even though they don't know what exactly it is that they're aiming towards. The only real clues we have to the nature of Terminus in TWD are the episode title 'A', the train tracks leading towards it, strategically positioned snipers...

Could be a coincedence, but as I said I imagine that the addition of a TWD board game means the creators had to have done some research. And this is one I doubt anyone would forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by weepingwillow View Post
    This is incredibly intriguing. I think you have, perhaps, just explained the reasons as to how the walkers are turning into 'hordes' and showing up in such great sums in specific locations. Love this! Awesome find!
    Oh perhaps you've reached a different conclusion, do share! I was specifically thinking just that 'Terminus' might end up being creepily similar to a concentration camp, and that our characters have been headed there unknowingly and willingly...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Wow! Good find! Maybe just a coincedence right, but nevertheless very interesting
    Last edited by Luna_Sol; March 30th, 2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Haha cool find!

There are so many different variations of what Terminus could be or related too

1)

The Founding of Atlanta
    In 1836 the Western and Atlantic Railroad was approved and an end point, or “Terminus” was chosen in 1837 and the post indicating it was driven into the ground and named The Zero Mile Post. The Zero Mile Post was located about 4 blocks from the current day Five Points, at Forsyth and Magnolia Streets. Eventually the Zero Mile Post was moved to several miles to the South East where it can be found today near the entrance to Underground Atlanta.
    During this time the area under went a series of name changes, the first being Thrasherville, after it’s founder John Thrasher. Later it was referred to as Terminus, which literally means “end of the line”. In 1842, the city continued to expand and the residents requested the name to be changed to “Lumpkin” after the current Governor of Georgia, Wilson Lumpkin. Lumpkin declined and asked the residents to name it “Marthasville” after his daughter instead. In 1845 the Chief Engineer of the Georgia Rail Road suggested renaming the city once again, and changing it to “Atlantica-Pacifica.” This was quickly shortened to “Atlanta” and became the official name in 1847

2)
    "Terra + Minus " which could be interpreted as a Ground-Zero.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Level
    Moving this to the "Us" episode discussion thread

For those curious, there is also this thread discussion about Terminus and possible meanings behind it.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Very interesting, thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by extravagantjoke View Post
    Moving this to the "Us" episode discussion thread

For those curious, there is also this thread discussion about Terminus and possible meanings behind it.
    Thanks! Guess I shouldn't discuss finale spoiler now then huh :D

The more I think about it though, the more that complicity in horrific actions/groups seems to make sense as an underlying theme for the back half of season 4.

We have Tara struggling with the decisions she made to go along with the Governor along with the rest of her group, when she was unaware of his true motives and intentions and finds herself complicit and responsible for the death of Hershel and fall of the prison...

And also we have Daryl who's found himself sucked in to a group of crazy ass mofos who live by 'rules' that seemingly absolve them of the need for conscience or logic. He is part of a man being beat to death, because of these 'rules', how far will it go?

...and all the groups following the written instructions that direct them along the train tracks to 'Terminus', because you can't ignore written instructions, right? (plus Maggie writing a few of her own, IN BLOOD!)

Smells like a theme to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast