Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level

Disappointed: A Note to Scott Gimple, Comments Welcome Whether You Agree or Not

I had been looking forward to the explanation of how Michonne's son died for a while and I can't help but being a bit disappointed at Scott Gimple's interpretation of who Michonne was before the turn.

In the GN, Michonne was an attorney who had been married with children that were her husbands. She had a boyfriend/fiance when she split from her husband but she was seemingly an educated accomplished quality woman. But the way Gimple wrote her and revealed her son's death back story, she was a "babymama" and her boyfriend and his friend were getting high in the middle of the fucking zombie apocalypse.

I always admired Kirkman's interpretation of Michonne cause it was devoid of stereotypes and Michonne was accomplished, intelligent and an upwardly mobile professional woman before the turn. But Gimple's interpretation basically lowered her stature and maturity to that of Glenn and Darryl. I'm super disappointed. I think they're taking certain steps to not make Rick & Michonne romantically compatible.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't know how they are lowering her maturity to that of Glenn and Daryl's. We still don't know what her occupation was in the ZA. She still may have been an attorney before the ZA began.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    What makes you think that she is not intelligent, accomplished and educated? Because she and Andre's father weren't married? Because she knows people who use drugs? We still know very little about TV Michonne. Try not to jump to conclusions.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiecut View Post
    What makes you think that she is not intelligent, accomplished and educated? Because she and Andre's father weren't married? Because she knows people who use drugs? We still know very little about TV Michonne. Try not to jump to conclusions.
    I agree with this 100%. We should be learning more about Michonne next season.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    I never got the impression she was a "baby momma" from her story. She was a mother, who was trying to make it for her son. She left him in the care of his own father, who chose to get high and Andre got bit because of that carelessness. In the flashback scene though, both Michonne and her boyfriend seemed educated and well off. There is no indication that she wasn't an attorney, or what she even did at all.

At least Gimple gave us her back story and fleshed her character out. He didn't have her standing around, snarling at everyone and giving the stink eye each time she could, like she was in ALL of season 3. I love the development she got in season 4.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Michonne still seems intelligent especially from her flashback. She's a lover of the arts, dresses quite sophisticated, and talks very well.

We don't know her previous occupation so she could still very well have been a lawyer. Her boyfriend and his friend seemed pretty balanced but if they were stressed out I don't see why the fuck you WOULDN'T get high in an apocalypse. But it was perfect for her to feel angered at the two.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions here they made her boyfriend who gets high her son's father that's a complete departure from the GN were here kids were her husbands. And I never said she wasn't intelligent, accomplished or educated. I clearly stated here and in a separate thread that I admired Kirkman's interpretation that gave her these traits and were devoid of stereotypes. But for someone who was such a fan of the GN and aimed to stay as close to Kirkaman's vision as possible this season why he chose to write her in a stereotypical fashion. That was my disappointment.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Level
    She still seems intelligent to me.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
    At least Gimple gave us her back story and fleshed her character out. He didn't have her standing around, snarling at everyone and giving the stink eye each time she could, like she was in ALL of season 3. I love the development she got in season 4.
    All of Season 3? She was smiling and cracking jokes in the episodes "Clear" and "This Sorrowful Life." And yes I loved the development she got in Season 4. Here's to hoping she gets more in Season 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msmusic27 View Post
    I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions here they made her boyfriend who gets high her son's father that's a complete departure from the GN were here kids were her husbands. And I never said she wasn't intelligent, accomplished or educated. I clearly stated here and in a separate thread that I admired Kirkman's interpretation that gave her these traits and were devoid of stereotypes. But for someone who was such a fan of the GN and aimed to stay as close to Kirkaman's vision as possible this season why he chose to write her in a stereotypical fashion. That was my disappointment.
    I'm not seeing how they lowered Michonne's maturity to that of Glenn and Daryl's. She seemed like a very mature woman to me.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    All of Season 3? She was smiling and cracking jokes in the episodes "Clear" and "This Sorrowful Life." And yes I loved the development she got in Season 4. Here's to hoping she gets more in Season 5.
    More or less, yes. She was nothing at all like she's been in season 4. It was like a completely different character.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast