11 7.75%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    i gave it a 7 .. which is still high IMO, considering how angry i sometimes was during the season ;)

it had a lot of really great episodes, a few of them will be my part of my all-time favourites (405, 408, 409, 414, 416) but overall i hate the fact that we had so many bottle episodes, the Governor bored me to death and we got way too few episodes with Carol in it :/
    also, i hate that the season ended on a cliffhanger and that some characters disappeared withouth us knowing why (Luke, Molly anyone? Also, i hated that we had almost no idea who was living in the prison when the season started...).

i can help thinking how awesome it would have been if the midseason finale had been the finale of season 3 and if 'A' had been the midseason finale of season 4... but well..

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa_91 View Post
    also, i hate that the season ended on a cliffhanger and that some characters disappeared without us knowing why (Luke, Molly anyone? Also, i hated that we had almost no idea who was living in the prison when the season started...).
    I agree with this, it was the main reason my rating dropped for this season. We didn't get to know ANY of the prison newcomers and Bob was the only one to make it out alive. That, plus the fact the Jeanette, Luke, Molly, and Lilly were completely forgotten about really annoys me.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    I gave this season a 4. IMHO, Gimple is great at (some) character development, but frequently does so at the cost of actual plot and forward movement. Pacing is important in a television show, and it was really bad this season. There were too many bottle episodes. Character exploration should not come at the expense of plot. The Grove exemplied what a bottle episode can be when done right, but it was the exception not the rule. The Governor-centric episodes as well as the Daryl and Beth solo ep were the worst offenders. All forward movement stopped in these episodes and I did not enjoy watching them at all.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I gave it a 7. I think this season will play well during a binge watch. The slower paced After is a nice transition from Too Far Gone when you don't have to wait between episodes. I had to take some points off, however, for those damn Governor episodes. I'm sympathetic to the fact the writers needed to tidy up a few things from season 3, but I will never, ever watch those two episodes again.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Level
    7 out of 10 and that's still a little high.
    7 for the episodes they decided to have Carol in, obviously.
    No I'm kidding on that but Carol made me stick with it. Some of the development was great (Michonne...) some things put me to sleep and I plan in the future if ever rewatching this season, to stay away from "Still."
    Everything was so slow or felt forced and like shoving some characters in our faces until the point we hate them. The split was boring at best for me. Groups like Glenn's and Carol's made things interesting for me but seeing groups like Daryl and Beth, even Carl by himself bored me to near death.
    Hopefully next season Gimple doesn't plunge into development and slow pacing again and moves us along with a good story and plot forwarding characters that make every second interesting.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I gave it a 9 I just really liked it. I loved the walkers this year so many more memorable ones than in seasons past. I liked the cinematography I thought it was really good I could see where certain shots were inspired by the GN. I liked that pretty much every character got a story this year. I thought this was one of the best paced seasons. I also appreciated how they referenced a lot of previous characters and events in seasons past when showing how much these survivors have changed. This year character's deaths were more personal and heartbreaking for me like in season 1. I haven't been as saddened by some of the other character's deaths since then. More than anything I love that this season ended with Rick having had enough whoa I can't wait for season 5. It hasn't been since season 1 that I have been so excited at having to wait for the next season.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by honeyconcha View Post
    I gave it a 9 I just really liked it. I loved the walkers this year so many more memorable ones than in seasons past. I liked the cinematography I thought it was really good I could see where certain shots were inspired by the GN. I liked that pretty much every character got a story this year. I thought this was one of the best paced seasons. I also appreciated how they referenced a lot of previous characters and events in seasons past when showing how much these survivors have changed. This year character's deaths were more personal and heartbreaking for me like in season 1. I haven't been as saddened by some of the other character's deaths since then. More than anything I love that this season ended with Rick having had enough whoa I can't wait for season 5. It hasn't been since season 1 that I have been so excited at having to wait for the next season.
    You and me are like the only two people who gave this season a 9 and are commenting on it here.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Level
    I'd give the season as a whole a solid 8. And since I already gave a detailed explanation in a different thread, I'm just going to copy and paste that post here. lol

I came back for season 4 because I have loved every episode Gimple wrote and I believed he would do a better job as showrunner than Mazzara did. Overall, I think he did and season 4 was a huge improvement over season 3. It wasn't perfect by any means and mistakes were made, but I think a lot of that did stem from the fact that Gimple was left with such a huge mess to clean up and it was necessary to make changes to bring this show back around to where it needs to be. They needed to put focus on the characters this season and I really enjoyed the development and getting to know who these people are now and why.

The "killer Carol" arc was not handled very well, but that really comes down to them needing to explain why Carol changed to such an extreme and why she would think murdering two innocent people who presented no threat to anyone was necessary after she was directly told that the flu had already spread. The whole "protect the group" excuse has too many holes in it and just makes Carol look stupid. And even if Carol was stupid enough to believe murdering them would stop the flu, why would she go about it in such a sloppy way that only spread the contamination even further and caused more problems? However, those are questions that can still be answered since this arc was one of the things left to carry over to season 5. They can still explain those things and do a good redemption arc with Carol accepting how wrong she was, apologizing, and working to earn everyone's trust again. After watching The Grove, I have much higher hopes for this plot arc than I had when it began. I like what MMB said about Carol coming to feel that she needed to control everything and fix things by herself and how she lost that nurturing, compassionate part of her in the process and needed to get it back. I still want to know why that happened, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle Carol's redemption in season 5.

Having two full episodes devoted entirely to the governor didn't work very well either. I see what Gimple was trying to accomplish there and I understand that stemmed from the fact that he was left with such a huge mess to clean up, but I think they would have done better to just have one episode focusing on what the governor had been up to during those 6-7 months. Live Bait was a waste of time and, ultimately, completely pointless because the governor ended up exactly where he started. Keep the scenes of him wandering on his own and destroying Woodbury, but get rid of the rest and just show him joining Martinez's group and taking over. Lily, Megan, and Tara could have already been part of that group. Use the other episode to show the prison dealing with the aftermath of the flu while the governor convinces his new group to attack them. Then move into Too Far Gone. I think that would have worked better.

The back half of the season was good and I love the separation story and how that brought about character development, but there are some structural issues. They should have focused on two groups per episode. Inmates suffers from trying to cram four groups into one episode so it feels rushed and disjointed. There was just too much going on there and the story didn't flow very well. Still didn't have enough going on and some of it felt like filler so including another group there would have utilized the time better. I think it also would have made more sense if they had found the moonshine first and that's what made Beth want to try it rather than her just randomly announcing that she wanted to try alcohol because she never had. The Grove worked so well because Carol and Tyreese had the kids so they could split off into smaller groups of 2 or 3 for certain scenes. I would have liked to see more of that type of structure in Inmates and Still. I think it would have worked better if Inmates and focused on Maggie/Sasha/ Bob and Glenn/Tara/Abe's group while Still focused on Carol/Tyreese/kids and Daryl/Beth.

Basically, it comes down to four episodes that were problematic and that's really not bad for Gimple's debut season. Everything else in season 4 was very well done and the overall story has been very interesting. Now that the mess from season 3 has been cleaned up and the prison arc is completed, I think season 5 will show us what Gimple is really capable of. I love the fact that he has planned things out so far ahead because that shows he is thinking about how what's happening now will effect things that happen in the future. I love the focus on the characters and development and using them to drive the story - that makes for a much more interesting story overall, IMO. I can't wait to see what Gimple does next.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post

The "killer Carol" arc was not handled very well, but that really comes down to them needing to explain why Carol changed to such an extreme and why she would think murdering two innocent people who presented no threat to anyone was necessary after she was directly told that the flu had already spread. The whole "protect the group" excuse has too many holes in it and just makes Carol look stupid. And even if Carol was stupid enough to believe murdering them would stop the flu, why would she go about it in such a sloppy way that only spread the contamination even further and caused more problems? However, those are questions that can still be answered since this arc was one of the things left to carry over to season 5.
    That was one of the weak points of the season. If TPTB had shown some logical development of her heading into that dark path (make her act in certain ways that would let us that her killing two innocent people could be seen a mile away), then I probably wouldn't be so angry that she had killed Karen and David.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    That was one of the weak points of the season. If TPTB had shown some logical development of her heading into that dark path (make her act in certain ways that would let us that her killing two innocent people could be seen a mile away), then I probably wouldn't be so angry that she had killed Karen and David.
    I don't think it needed to be obvious, but it did need to be plausible and that's where the plot arc was lacking. People can certainly change, but there are always things that cause them to change - a catalyst for that change. Without revealing any catalyst for Carol to have changed to such an extreme during those 6 months of peace and prosperity at the prison, the murders came across as random and OOC for Carol. Putting so much emphasis on the fact that the flu had already spread and showing Carol being told that directly before the murders were committed only made her look stupid - and the murders themselves with all that infected blood spread around only added to that. Gimple needed to show viewers why he saw this as a natural progression for Carol's character.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast