Thread: Michonnes plead

1. Back To Top    #31
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaphur View Post
    I agree. And I think once she was with Andrea, she didn't want to be completely alone. I don't consider to have been "alone" before, because she had her walkers. Sure they aren't alive people, but they were still there and I'm sure she talked to them and all. But, once she left Woodbury without Andrea, she was completely alone, with no one. Then she found Rick's group and they weren't all rainbows and sunshine like Woodbury was. Once they all went to Woodbury together she realized they're probably the best group she could ever find.
    And who wouldn't want to be with them as opposed to being completely alone?
    That's an interesting point about the pet walkers. They have presented the practical reasons for Michonne to have done that, but nobody has considered the emotional reasons for it. I never really bought the practical explanation of them keeping other walkers away - mostly because dragging them on chains a few feet behind would not do anything to mask Michonne's scent and, as we see in the scene with the helicopter crash, they were not completely docile or quiet so having them around presented a risk of the noise they made drawing attention to Michonne.

The emotional aspect of it seems to make more sense really. It's rather like Wilson in Castaway. It was just an inanimate object, but giving it a face created a companion of sorts. Didn't matter that Wilson couldn't talk or do anything - having any kind of companion helped Tom Hanks stay sane to a large extent in spite of his isolation. It's the isolation that would be the worst part of a situation like that. Walkers can be dealt with or avoided and the survivors have all figured out how to do that at this point. Sure, characters like Michonne and Daryl could survive completely on their own in terms of not getting killed, but there is more to surviving than that. To truly survive, people need other people - to talk to, to listen to, to help make a stable home, etc... And, yes, to cook and do laundry because there is more to surviving than just killing/avoiding threats. One person alone might be able to avoid getting killed, but they're just existing - not living. And they will likely go insane without other people to talk to. I think Michonne realized that when she saved Andrea and that's why she tried so hard to get Andrea to leave Woodbury with her - she didn't want to go back to being alone. Now she's found Rick's group and she's seen how close they are - and it's genuine affection between them where everything in Woodbury was obviously so fake. I think it's natural that Michonne would want to stay with Rick's group rather than go off alone again.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Your theory is heavily supported by the scene where Michonne observes the interactions of Ricks group while she is locked in the adjacent cell after they rescued her. Later, she is also impressed by their coordinated strategy and effectiveness when battling zombies at close quarters. Also, you gotta love the take charge, badassery they've instilled in an eight year old kid. No doubt that morally, and practically, this is the group you want to be with.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dc4340 View Post
    Your theory is heavily supported by the scene where Michonne observes the interactions of Ricks group while she is locked in the adjacent cell after they rescued her. Later, she is also impressed by their coordinated strategy and effectiveness when battling zombies at close quarters. Also, you gotta love the take charge, badassery they've instilled in an eight year old kid. No doubt that morally, and practically, this is the group you want to be with.
    Carl is actually around 11 or 12 in the show, but that's still a good point. Rick understood that it's simply not possible for anyone to be right by Carl's side every second of the day so it was necessary to make sure Carl could take care of himself. I don't know if Michonne observed enough to know how well Carl can defend himself, but she certainly observed enough to understand that Rick's group is the better option. They genuinely care about each other and they are not deluding themselves to how dangerous this new world is. They aren't trying to pretend that everything is normal like it used to be - they have adapted and are prepared to face the dangers around them. And I definitely agree that she was impressed with how well they worked together with a coordinated strategy in fighting a large number of walkers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234