1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Nine lives, remember? ✿ Cherokee Rose ✿'s Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding love and hate threads.

Hello everyone,

I didn't want to be so drastic and waited a little bit before posting this but now I'm bound to do it.

The 'Relationship' board has always been a lovely and enjoyable place to post opinions, discuss with other users and analyze every aspect and scene between our favorite couples. Lately, a large group of members is putting a risk to the peaceful nature of this section of the board.

I'm talking about users who, despite clear warnings that are contained in every first post of a 'love' or 'hate' thread, still venture into them to troll, cause problems and start drama.

Those threads were created and designed to be safe places where members with the same opinion could go and rant (in case of 'hate' threads) or share with others how much they like a pairing (in case of 'love' threads).

I'm also reading a lot of insults towards opposite factions instead of attacking opinions/perceptions. Please remember that while you're in your safe haven, you still have to follow the rules, and insulting members is against the rules and won't improve your point.

From now on, I won't just edit insults and delete off-topic posts like I've done until today, but I will infract every post that contains something that goes against our rules.

Help us keep this place enjoyable as it has always been.

Thank you everyone for your cooperation! :)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    I am King, everything is possible. King Grimes's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Level
    I just want to add that it's very understandable to want to defend your ship tooth and nail against anything you feel is false or unjust. That's why we always clarify that opinions are ok to be discussed and dissected and even attacked. If you wish to pick apart, mock, or rant about a particular opinion(s)/perception(s) that's being said about your ship then that's fine. This announcement is more for those who very pointedly call lovers of a ship an insulting name rather than going after their opinions.

I'll give an example of the right path, and keep in mind that I take no sides in shipping:

Within rules, because it focuses on the opinion and not the person:
    "Someone came up with Rick and Barber's Clippers as a ship and it was perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. And when I heard of Carl and Hat Variety I almost choked on a chicken bone at the absurdity of it all! That's too stupid for words. I just don't understand some people's logic. What a dumbass comment.

Against the rules, because it focuses on the person rather than the opinion: "Some idiot came up with Rick and Barber Clippers as a ship and it was perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. And when I heard of Carl and Hat Variety I almost choked on a chicken bone at how absurd he was! He's too stupid for words. I just don't understand some people. What a dumbass.

Remember that there are a gajillion ways to insult an opinion without resorting to flaming the actual person. This also applies to actors. How would you feel if someone flamed your favorite actor? Separate actors from their characters. I'm not asking you to be fake about how you feel toward them. What you say in a private setting is one thing, but threads are publicly viewable and that kind of publicity isn't what the site strives for. Derogatory remarks toward them are not acceptable. Hate on a ship all you'd like, but leave the actor themselves out of it as much as you can please.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Just Another Dead Girl ScifiSpirit's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimes View Post
    I just want to add that it's very understandable to want to defend your ship tooth and nail against anything you feel is false or unjust. That's why we always clarify that opinions are ok to be discussed and dissected and even attacked. If you wish to pick apart, mock, or rant about a particular opinion(s)/perception(s) that's being said about your ship then that's fine. This announcement is more for those who very pointedly call lovers of a ship an insulting name rather than going after their opinions.

I'll give an example of the right path, and keep in mind that I take no sides in shipping:

Within rules, because it focuses on the opinion and not the person:
    "Someone came up with Rick and Barber's Clippers as a ship and it was perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. And when I heard of Carl and Hat Variety I almost choked on a chicken bone at the absurdity of it all! That's too stupid for words. I just don't understand some people's logic. What a dumbass comment.

Against the rules, because it focuses on the person rather than the opinion: "Some idiot came up with Rick and Barber Clippers as a ship and it was perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. And when I heard of Carl and Hat Variety I almost choked on a chicken bone at how absurd he was! He's too stupid for words. I just don't understand some people. What a dumbass.

Remember that there are a gajillion ways to insult an opinion without resorting to flaming the actual person. This also applies to actors. How would you feel if someone flamed your favorite actor? Separate actors from their characters. I'm not asking you to be fake about how you feel toward them. What you say in a private setting is one thing, but threads are publicly viewable and that kind of publicity isn't what the site strives for. Derogatory remarks toward them are not acceptable. Hate on a ship all you'd like, but leave the actor themselves out of it as much as you can please.
    If I may, why did another mod just make a sticky post in a different forum regarding "making fun of actors" that COMPLETELY contradicts your last paragraph here?! Have the rules changed??

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Level
    This is how I understand it.... (King Grimes please correct me if I'm wrong)

Manscaper made that thread because we get reported posts daily where someone said "I don't like/can't stand/hate/etc (fill in the blank actor), they suck". There's no need to report that. Criticizing an actors work/the character is perfectly fine.... as long as you do not start to make derogatory statements about them.

Example:

Calling Norman Reedus a pedophile/pervert because he may be pro-Bethyl is not ok. Saying Emily Kinney fucks TPTB/writers/directors/etc to be on the show is not ok. Nor is any other such statement about ANY of the actors.

But... saying EK sucks as an actress and could stand to take some acting classes, that's perfectly fine. Saying she ought to shut up with the singing, that's perfectly fine also. Saying you dislike Norman Reedus and his portrayal of Daryl is A-ok too. These are just examples and apply to ALL the actors/producers/writers of the show.

Saying an actor sucks isn't flaming. You can critique the actor. That's just stating that their acting is sub-par. Manscaper started that thread in regards to all the posts that get reported where someone made a comment critiquing the actor, saying it's flaming. It's not flaming to say you dislike an actor or that you feel they aren't doing their character justice.

But derogatory statements about the actor, like in the examples above, should be kept out of the posts though, because that's what isn't allowed.

Now if I'm wrong, then I'll concede that I misunderstood it entirely, but that's how I understand it to be. I also understand "flaming" to be a harsh insult, such as something you wouldn't say or names you wouldn't call someone in front of your mother. Saying you dislike or hate an actor doesn't fall into that category.

Again, if I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected. :)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    That's my understanding as well Sassenach:)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Just Another Dead Girl ScifiSpirit's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Level
    Thank you both for the clarification. It's good to know. I appreciate the attention to this issue. :)

I also want to make sure what King Grimes wrote in his second to last paragraph "against the rules because it focuses on the person, rather than the opinion" is still a policy here. Because people/users/members, including myself, are insulted and ridiculed all the time on certain threads. NOT ideas, but people. I can send examples privately. But I want to understand if this kind of behavior is reportable and against forum rules or if it should be reported (without the intention, of course, of spamming the mods).

Thank you again.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Level
    I've PMd with ScifiSpirit regarding this and she said it's ok to post part of my message to her here for everyone.

If you see a member being attacked, then yes, we want you to report that. If you see someone saying how crappy one of the actors is, that's allowed. You're allowed to say you don't like a certain actors' portrayals and things like that. Actors are in the public eye and know their work will be critiqued. It's when the posts get into actually attacking them, like in the examples above about NR and EK, that we want to keep out of the threads here.

But please also keep in mind, that the opinions of members here are open to criticism as well. Where we draw the line is when it goes into attacking the person and not the opinion and that's what we do want you guys to report to us.

If someone says "well your opinion of this ship is just silly and ludicrous, how can you ship that?!", that's allowed.

If someone says "you stupid fucking idiot! how can you ship those 2?!", that's not allowed.

Do you see the difference? It doesn't have to be exactly that, but along those lines. So if you yourself are being attacked, like in this example just given, or see any other member being attacked like that, please report those posts. We absolutely want you to report things like that! But when someone says they don't like an actor that YOU like, well that's ok. You liking that actor is YOUR opinion and them not liking them is THEIR opinion and you both are entitled to your opinions. :)

I do realize that at times it can be a very fine line between the two as well. It's very easy to cross into attacking the person/actor and not just the opinion or the actor's work.

I hope this helps some regarding all of this. And as I told her, please PM me if you have questions about any of this. I'm happy to help and if I don't know, I will find out for you!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    I am King, everything is possible. King Grimes's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Level
    To back up what Sassenach is saying, there was some rather tasteless posts concerning actors that we wanted to rid the board of. Posts that went beyond critiquing a actor's performance in an episode.

Keeping your comments regarding actors based on what they do in episodes, of TWD (or other shows they've been on) is both reasonable and mature. Within all rules is the underlying goal of giving as much leeway possible to a member's post so as to not censor a thought. The line we ask you not to cross is my opening sentences. Posts that are not about an actor's performance but is more geared toward slandering them with unsubstantiated innuendo and/or flaming them we ask that you do not post.

I don't ask this because of some attempt to placate the actors of the show whom don't know about this board nor care what is said here anyway. I would rather such extreme remarks be not be posted because overly tasteless comments tends to lead to more infighting. So for your nastier thoughts on actors, please keep that out of threads.

ScifiSpirit, Manscaper's post was not a contradiction of any of these things and was concerning the reporting of posts that are not against these guidelines. We do get reports that aren't rule breaking sometimes, but it's not just in the case of actor-based comments, it's with other things too. Reporting posts helps the staff out a lot, and overall it's good to report things that you feel breaks a rule to be on the safe side, but hopefully with these clarifications today the reports specifically concerning actors will be more in line.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Level
    I have been seeing a lot o derogatory comments directed at both Beth/EK and carol/MM. I don't think terms like The Mannequin and The old Hag are appropriate. These are mostly in the hate threads but they leak out to other threads IMHO. It has been personally bothering me lately so thought I would mention.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan<3TWD View Post
    I have been seeing a lot o derogatory comments directed at both Beth/EK and carol/MM. I don't think terms like The Mannequin and The old Hag are appropriate. These are mostly in the hate threads but they leak out to other threads IMHO. It has been personally bothering me lately so thought I would mention.
    I can't and won't speak for the Beth fans, but us on the Beth hate threads direct the mannequin comments towards Beth, not EK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast