Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Level

I Ain't a Hero (CARYL)

So, I write a fanfic on a another site and it was a hit... Figured I'd Try and see my luck here It is a CARYL fanfic.. Be gentle Its my baby

A/N The story Prespective changes between Dary/Carol and just Third party

Chapter One: Refusing Him

Warning: Extreme mature content. ~Sexuality ~ Coarse Language ~ Violence~
    I'd take as many hits as it took to tire Ed out, so he couldn't hit Sophia. She had learned to sleep through his rampages, dealt with them her whole life, and he never made them loud anymore, he didn't want anyone to hear, not now that there are stronger men in the group. I knew to be quiet too, if I were to make a peep that alarmed anyone, I'd regret it.
    So there I was, taking hit after hit, praying my baby wouldn't wake up, and burying my face into my pillow, masking my screams of agony, dreading laundry day tomorrow, explaining or covering more bruises. He suddenly stopped, maybe he gave up? With my head buried in the pillow, and a few moments of nothing, I start to feel a tug at my pants. He ripped them off. I heard him undo his zipper, and I immediately flipped on my back.
    "Ed, Sophia's right there." I begged.
    "Don't matter, lay back down yah hear?" he commanded
    "Ed please no."
    "Lay down or I'll make you, bitch." I stayed in my upright position, refusing him. That made him angry; he pushed down on my shoulders with all his might, and kept his weight on them once I was already on the ground. I yelped. He swatted me in the face. "Shut yer mouth bitch."
    I felt hopeless like I always do, I was pleading and crying, trying anything to put up a fight. I looked beside me, making sure Sophia was asleep before I gave up, when I noticed a shadow outside the tent, and I heard a zipping noise and all of a sudden Ed was ripped off of me, and hit in the head with a crossbow.
    "Put yah damn pants on." Daryl said while throwing a random pair of pajama pants at me. Daryl Dixon? He then went and picked up Sophia and carried her, without waking her, to Rick and Lori's tent, obviously he woke them up to say he was dropping her there, and Rick took Sophia from Daryl and carried her in his tent. Daryl turned around and walked back towards me, by this time, I was sobbing, curled up on the floor, without my pants on still.
    Daryl walked in my tent, he looked over at Ed, who was passed out cold on the sleeping bag. He pointed at the pants and then turned around so I could put them on. When he turned back around I was dressed but still sobbing, he motioned his hands, telling me to get out of the tent, but I didn't obey. He rolled his eyes and came over and lifted me over his shoulder and carried me out of the tent. He carried me over to the fire pit, which was lit, dull but lit. He plopped me on a seat and kneeled in front of me.
    "You okay?" he said as softly as possible.
    "Yeah I'm fine." I lied, wiping away my tears.
    "Your expression says different." He put his hand on the chair arm holder. "I'm sorry, if I cause yah more problems, but I was walking by… and I heard… well yah understand?" I nodded.
    "He'll wake up tomorrow and forget everything, think he feel asleep drunk." I reassured him. His facial expression was concerned and that was weird to me. Once he realized how close he was to me, he backed away. I grabbed his arm, and he flinched, "Thank you." He fought back any emotional reaction but did say.
    "Everyone ere' knows… what Ed does. I ain't gonna act like imma hero, cause I ain't, but I'm not about to listen to a rape."
    I started to tear up and cry. I stood up, heading back to my tent when my side bumped into the car that was in my way, the side Ed repeatedly hit. I let out a yelp, started falling, when Daryl caught me, unknowingly touching countless bruises, cause me to cry. He had the "I don't know what to do look" on his face, despite all that, he pulled me closer and hugged me, carefully so he didn't touch more bruises, and he let me sob into his chest.
    With his hand on my head, pushing it into his chest, so I only made muffled cries, and my body wrapped around his, there he stood, in the middle of camp, at only god knows what hour

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter two : Ten Minutes

"Hey… You're okay…" I tried my best to comfort the sobbing mess of a woman I had in my arms. It felt like we were there in that moment together for hours, when truth be told it was probably only ten minutes, ten minutes that came to an abrupt end when Rick came out of his tent, and started walking towards the fire pit. Carol immediately jumped out of my arms and I know it hurt her, because she was already sore, but she kept her composure.
    Rick was now in the fire pit area. He had a suspicious look on his face. He brought his hand up to his eyes and rubbed them, I could tell he was tired, man hasn't slept in days. He cleared his throat and put his hand on his hip, and took his natural leadership stance. His eyes gazed over to Carol. "What happened here? Not that I mind but, why is Sophia in my tent?" Carol looked down.
    "I can take her back, no trouble intended… Daryl was the one-"
    "-Shh." Rick cut her off. "Daryl did right, stuff happening with Ed?" he said as gentle as he could, but still wanted to get to the point. He was like that.
    "Nothing, no… Everything's fine… We're just fine." She lied through her teeth. Rick turned and looked at me, as if he needed my reassurance, and then Carol looked at me with a pleading, pathetic look. I wasn't about to lie to Rick, but he didn't need to know everything.
    "They were fighting, I figured lil' girl didn't need to hear it, asked em' if I could bring 'er to you." He could tell I was lying.
    "And Ed just happens to be passed out cold ten minutes after a fight?" I nodded.
    "That's how I see, it ain't our business, baby girls safe and that's what matters." I assured. Rick nodded. "Now go crawl back in bed Rick, I got it tonight, and you look like shit. You need the sleep more than I do." He protested. "Rick I ain't needing you getting my ass bit, cause you be passing out on the job." He nodded.
    "Thank you Daryl." He saw right through me, I was tired too but that was a rare act of kindness. I've ground found of him, even though its his fault Merles dead, I knew Merle was cooperative and I sure as hell knew the mess he got in was his own doing. I put on a blank face and Rick turned around and walked towards his tent.
    "Thanks..." The small brail voice of the woman behind me I almost forgot about startled me. I nodded. "I should go back in my tent." This angered me. How could she? Why would she?
    "Are you serious?" I snorted; she made a really offended face.
    "Dead serious."
    "You lookin' to be dead woman?" I raised my voice mildly.
    "Shut the hell up! You don't know what the hell you're talkin' about; this is my life, my husband, my choice!" She spat. I was surprised; I always thought she was a spineless creature.
    "You're a real piece of work lady!" I was shouting now. The anger in my bones radiated to my mouth finally. Why was I so angry?
    "You stop raising your damn voice to me! You stop it now! No need in waking the whole came cause you cant keep your emotions in check!" She took me back a little bit, but nobody tells me what to do.
    "Doesn't matter anyway, your gonna get beat again anyway, cause your fuckin' stupid." I kind of regretted that as soon as I said that, tears filled her eyes, but she didn't let them fall out. Instead, she surprised me with a bitch slap to my face, which admittedly I deserved. "What the hell? I go-" I stopped myself when I heard a cry. I looked up at the woman in front of me, who was covering her mouth, in shock of what she just did. Judging by her force, she had taken out all the anger she had for Ed, on my face.
    "I'm… Sorry… Please…" she went on rambling, I just shook my head. I understood her, in that moment, I've never understood anything more than I understood her. I realized I was now standing closer to her, and I had a feeling I never had before, I wanted her, to kiss her. I have never had the desire to be with a woman more than I did her. I think she could feel my obscure thoughts. She pulled away.
    "I'll go sleep in the RV, dales passenger seat is comfortable." She said with some sort of pent up emotion. She could tell that what I needed to hear, that she was going back.
    "You could stay here… Keep me company. Ed will never know." She sighed, and shook her head no.
    "I can't." I knew she couldn't. I watched her walk to the RV, with her arms crossed and head down, and all I could wonder what was going through her head.
    What the hell, you're a Dixon, You pussy ass, waste of skin, toughen up, let her go, you ain't good enough, never will be.
    It was true, I needed to forget about those ten minutes and with that, I turned around, planning on forgetting anything else to do with that damned woman, planning on.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Ok, I didn't want to read this when I saw the Caryl but I won't lie, it is actually pretty good.
    But I gotta be honest with you LLCAD....it wasn't Daryl I was thinking about when I was reading it lol...I can't. I just don't see him feeling like that for her. But that's just me. Keep the story going, I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
    And who knows? Maybe you'll convert me lol ;)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Level
    I'll do my best :P

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 3 :We found it Earlier

I woke up curled around Dales passenger seat, Sophia was standing over me, having the passenger door open, with a concerned face. "Mommy wake up, Mommy please." I rubbed my eyes; she was probably waking me up because she wanted us up before Ed. I sat up, rolling my shoulders, trying to work out some kinks by myself. "Mom, I have to…" I could see she was struggling to tell me something. So I sat completely upright, and put my arm around her.
    "What is it baby?" I asked. She stumbled on her next few words.
    "Mom, can you go talk to Mr. Grimes and Mr. Dixon?" I nodded. "And… Can I wait here while you do?"
    "Uh… Okay, just stay close to Dale okay?" She nodded.
    I had a feeling in my stomach, that I was about to get some devastating news, and as I walked over to Rick, Shane and Daryl, my suspicions only got worse. They were whispering, and Shane looked up at me, hushed everyone. I steadily walked over to them, and I tired to read their body language. Rick was leaning against a car with his hand grabbing his belt, like he needed something to fidget with, and he had a very sympathetic facial expression. Shane looked assertive, with his hands at his side, and upright posture, with a very attentive facial expression. Then there was Daryl. He had both hands in his pockets, and his head was down, he wouldn't make eye contact with me, unlike the other two, and he looked like a kid, that was about to get in trouble.
    I came up, so I was facing all three, they all stopped leaning on the cars, and even Daryl looked up at me. Rick cleared his throat and made sure I was looking at him before he spoke. "How are you doing Carol?"
    "I'm okay, what's going on?" Rick took a step closer and I didn't move away from him.
    "I don't know how to tell you Carol… But… We found it earlier this morning, around dawn." I was curious.
    "What did you find?" I said impatiently. Shane took a step forward.
    "We found Ed, he was in his tent, eaten pretty bad." Shane said so effortlessly. Rick looked at him as if to say, 'you could have been more sensitive.'
    "He didn't scream? Call for help?" I asked, Daryl looked at me.
    "Must not have woken up, from being unconscious." And then I remembered, Daryl knocking Ed out, and it occurred to me why Daryl looked like he was in trouble. He rendered Ed unable to defend himself, and I had another revelation, I could be dead, Sophia could be dead, he saved us too.
    "How did Sophia know?" I demanded.
    Rick sighed. "She was sleeping in our tent… She woke up, and walked back to yours, saw the walker gnawing on your husband, and I guess she slipped away unnoticed by it, and she came back and woke me up." I started to feel myself tear up; I kept my composure and walked away.
    I started walking into the woods, and I could hear someone behind me, following me. I had tears flowing down my cheeks, but I did it in silence. I must have been walking for 20 minutes in the forest, when my follower grabbed my shoulder and I turned around, and it was Daryl. He looked very concerned. "How are you feeling?" I started to cry.
    "Well, my daughter saw her father getting chewed on and my husbands dead…" I trailed off.
    "Doesn't answer how your feeling." He took a step forward, and I stepped back.
    "… And if you hadn't knocked him out, there would be a good chance, he would still be here." I could see him getting angry.
    "Yeah, and you and Sophia might not be!" he mildly shouted. I nodded.
    "I know." Through my tears I couldn't help but smile. These weren't tears of sadness; they were the happiest tears I've cried in my whole life. I put my arms around Daryl, forcing him into a hug, I could till by the stiffness of his body he was uncomfortable, but he didn't pull away. "Thank you. Thank you so much Daryl, I'm free" He now understood. And he genteelly put one of his arms around me, and looked around, probably for walkers, or people.
    We continued to talk in the woods, while we walked back to camp. We joked, and laughed, and I felt bad for enjoying Ed's death so much, but I was genuinely sure Sophia and I would be better off without him. Out of nowhere I felt my world come to a crash, when I heard the terrified scream of a little girl, my little girl.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Moar!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    awesome job so far. love readin it. cant wait for the next 1 :)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    love it!!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Level
    Chapter 4: Fighting the urge

It's always amazed me, the love a mother has for her child. I think my mom had it for me, before she died. I've never seen a woman move so fast in my life, as I did when I saw Carol running after the sound of her daughter screaming, I never thought I'd see the woman run, let alone out run me. As soon as she heard the cry, her feet picked up and she was almost out of sight, yelling after Sophia. I started to run after her, she wasn't acting very aware of the other dangers here, and I wanted to protect her from them.
    I wasn't far behind Carol, and when I got to the camp, what a horrific sight it was. Sophia was crying, hysterically, and Carol was kneeled down beside her, and Ed's walker form laid there, dead. I turned and looked over at Shane, who said he put Ed down; then again, Shane says a lot of things. Carol looked over at Shane and Rick too, yelling, demanding on knowing what happened. Shane actually looked sorry.
    "I… I don't know how he… I killed him." Shane said, very confused.
    "Well obviously you didn't!" Carol screamed. Shane looked like he had a realization.
    "What Shane? What did you do?" Rick demanded. Shane remembered going into the tent and coming out, with us guys, so he says, and he said he remembered going back into kill Ed. He said he thought he did, and then dragged his body in the woods, so Carol and Sophia could burry him.
    "… And Sophia's okay…" Shane said, trying to defuse everything.
    "Okay? You call, finding her father dead, and him trying to eat her after, okay? You have a really funny definition of what okay is!" Carol hissed. Shane looked around, for any support, none. He just looked down and apologized. He was right though, at least baby girl was okay, and wasn't harmed.
    Carol sat there holding Sophia for a while, and eventually Sophia wanted to go play, so she did everything to make sure Carol knew she was okay, and eventually she let her go play. She was resistant on letting go, and made sure to tell her that they were sleeping in Dales RV tonight. Sophia agreed and then went off playing tag with the other kids.
    Carol stood up, wiping the dirt off her pants and the tears from her eyes. She sighed and started walking towards me. I gave her an awkward smile, and she hugged me, I didn't want to pull away, but I wasn't very comfortable, I made an effort to hug her back, but it wasn't very good, she didn't seem to mind.
    The rest of the night flowed on, Sophia and Carol, sat with my around the fire pit, and we ate the fish that Andrea, and may she rest in peace, Amy, caught. Andrea was still really broken up, but who could blame her? We all seemed to be having a good time. Carol and Sophia went to bed, and I stayed up on the RV keeping watch.
    It was late, I must have been up there for a few hours, and I heard the RV door creek open. I smiled; Carol must be coming up to talk to me.You sound like a pansy Dixon. I didn't care, I could hear her climbing up to the top, and I stepped over to give her a hand, to my surprise, it wasn't Carol, it was Sophia.
    "Good evening Mr. Dixon." She was so polite, and I was curious as to what she wanted to talk about.
    "Evenin' what are you doin up so late?" She looked down.
    "I wanted to thank you, for taking me and mom out of the tent, and I know if you didn't, daddy would be alive… Thank you for killing him." That sentence made me physically ill.
    "Sophia, I didn't mean to kill him." She looked sweaty, and pale.
    "Either way, Mr. Dixon, I want you too take good care of my mom" I was taken back a little. I walked over to her; I asked her if she was okay. She nodded. I put my hand on her shoulder.
    "Are you feeling okay?" she dodged my question.
    "I'm glad I can trust you with my mom, but I have to tell you something Mr. Dixon." I felt my heart in my throat. She grabbed onto my hand, the one on her shoulder. "I couldn't… say this… with everyone around… cause I wasn't sure… but now I am…" she put her free hand on her head and held back the urge to puke.
    "Sophia sweetie what's wrong?" I was now looking in her eyes, with the most concerned face, I have ever shown. She nodded. She lifted up her pant leg, and revealed a small but deep scratch on her leg.
    "I didn't know if scratches… were like bites… but when daddy came out of the pile… he fell on me… and scratched me… and now… I'm sure-" she puked, spat up some blood. "I'm dying Mr. Dixon."

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    OMG!!! That last bit - perfect! Her father infected her!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    your cranking these out lol, there great

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewanderer View Post
    your cranking these out lol, there great
    i actualyl have 25 chapters already written.. Posting them a bit at a time :P

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter Five : This is for my mom.

I rushed to the girls side, wiping away the blood that she had spat out. "I'm going to go get your mom."
    "Please! Don't!" she cried. I immediately turned around, it was shocking, what did she expect me to do? I bent down in front of her, and cocked my head to the side, like a confused dog. "Mr. Dixon-"
    "Call me Daryl."
    "Daryl, I'm already scared to die, I know if my mom knows I'm dead… She might… hurt herself… to try and join me." She started crying. "..And I don't want that, its too late for me… not for her, and if I go missing... Its different then me being dead… Daryl… Please I have to protect my mom now." I couldn't believe it, but I was choking back some tears myself.
    "What do you want me to do? Lie to her?" she nodded yes. "I can't do that."
    "Daryl, if I go missing… Mom has time to want to be alive… and then she will come… she will accept it…but she needs time Mr. Dixon!" Sophia took a step forward while being assertive, and she fumbled, and just about fainted. "I don't feel well."
    I held her in my arms; she was so young, so innocent. It was such a shame. She started coughing, and wheezing. "What do you wan' me to do? I don't know what to do…" I started to tear up again. Pussy.
    "Bring me far in the woods…" she started coughing. "Kill me… I don't want to hurt people."
    "Sophia… You don't know what you're askin' me to do." She looked into my eyes, all teared up and sickly looking.
    "Yes I do… and it's a lot… but it's for my mom." I believed her, I really did, but could I do this? Could I really?
    "Sophia, your moms gonna want to bury you." I couldn't believe this is what we were talking about.
    "I know… You're a tracker right?" I nodded. "After you… you know… remember where I am… come back for me… when she's okay… when she's accepted it..." my whole body was clenching. "Daryl… this is my wish, my one and only last wish… from one survivor to another…" I couldn't believe how mature, and sane everything she said was. I didn't want to take away her last wish, and if she wasn't Carol's daughter, I would do it, no problem. But she was.
    Sophia pleaded a little more and I broke, and agreed. I lifted up the little girl, and she curled into place, around me. She leaned her weak head on my chest, and I started walking in the forest. I didn't want anyone to find her, but I didn't want to go too far. She tried to mumble a few things, I told her to save her energy. We got about 3 miles out, and Sophia's condition was critical, she could die at any moment, she was hallucinating, and her lucid moments became fewer.
    I found a tree, a beautiful tree, and sat her in front of it. I sat down in front of her. She started huffing. "Please take care of her…"
    "I promise you I will." She smiled the best she could. She was beginning to become less lucid again, and I could tell she was near death.
    "Daddy, is there heaven? Is it pretty?" I held her hand.
    "For you baby girl, heaven is beautiful… This crumby world doesn't exist…" she smiled, and I could see her take some comfort.
    "Daddy, I'm not scared… I see a light… I see mommy… I see flowers… I see Carl… I see happiness." I bit my lip, and clenched my free fist, to the point of my nails cutting into my hand.
    "Its okay baby girl, go into the light, everything's better there… DI'm gonna take care of it down here." I wasn't her dad, but I was letting her believe it in this moment. Her eyes gazed shut and she died. I didn't want to waste anytime, it was already light out, and I didn't want anyone to come looking for me.
    I shakily raised my hand up to her head, with a silencer on my gun; I looked away, and made the shot. I backed away, and fell on the ground. What did I do? What do I do? Did I do the right thing?

(I went OOC for Daryl on purpose, I hated the way Sophias death was so closed, and I felt they both deserved this moment)

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter six: Just a Millesecond

(Scene)
    A man is swiftly walking through the woods alone, while being cautions of every step he takes. The man hasn't heard any noises in a long time. Silence makes the man tremble. He's losing hope. He looks up into the distance and sees a tree, a beautiful tree, and then he sees a tiny leg behind that tree. He proceeds with caution, his hope is regaining. "Excuse me?" he calls out, no answer. He walks slowly, and steadily steps behind the tree, all hope is gone. There lies a dead little girl, with a shot in her head. Her wound is still fresh, she was alive less then an hour ago. Her eyes are open, he closes them, and then the man sighs. He takes a seat, leaning against the tree, beside the little girl. "I'm sorry this happened to you." The man reaches in his back pocket and pulls out a gun. The man rubs his eyes, he take sin the beauty of the woods and then he pats the littler girl on the back. The man leans his head against the tree trunk. He brings the gun to his temple, and pulls the trigger.
    (End Scene)
    Daryl slipped back into camp unnoticed. He was disgusted with himself, horrified at what he did. Even if he wanted to come clean to Carol, he couldn't, not anymore. He felt stupid, he WAS stupid. This is what happens when he gets close to people, he destroys them. The constant voice of Merle lingered in his mind. 'You're a dumb worthless hillbilly, ain't nobody gonna' care about your stupid as, these people laugh at you.' The voice was right. At this moment Daryl decided everyone's better off without him, and he was going to pull away from everyone, even her.
    Carol woke up, she wasn't alarmed right away when Sophia wasn't beside her. Sometimes she got up earlier to go play with the other kids. She put her sweater on, today felt colder then usual. She swung the passenger door open. She wasn't tall enough to reach the ground for the seat, so she held onto the door and had to jump a little. Carol walked past Daryl and gave him a little smile, but he just blew it off and looked away. I guess he's having one of those man periods, she thought. She chuckled a bit out loud, but not loud enough for anyone to hear. She walked closer to Shane and Lori, but they were having a quiet argument, there's been a lot of those since Rick got back, poor guy doesn't even know. She saw the Morales children running around with Carl.
    "Morning." She said in a clear attempt to get their attention. They were laughing but Carl was the one who stopped to see what she needed.
    "Good morning Ms. Peletier, how're you?"
    "I'm fine Carl, where's Sophia? You guys playing hide and seek again? You know I don't like that." His eyebrow furrowed.
    "I haven't seen her since the fire pit last night Ms. Peletier…" Carl said clearly, but curiously. Carol felt her heart in her throat.
    "SOPHIA?!" She cried in desperation. She started running around the camp, alarming everyone, everyone started to look worried, and everyone started to look. Daryl didn't move, he looked scared. Carol thought that was really out of character, but didn't really care, she wanted and needed to find Sophia, and had made it her goal to not stop looking until she did.
    Daryl was skinning squirrels, he had to distract himself, otherwise he would be reminded about what happened a little over 40 minutes ago. He was lost in his own thought, and skinning like everyone was going to starve, when Carl came up to his side. Carl gulped a little, and Daryl could tell the kid was trying to say something.
    "Why aren't you helping?" he whispered, but was still very assertive.
    "They got enough of you out there; I'll be more use here." Carl nodded, but wasn't convinced. He then turned around so he wasn't facing the group and whispered just loud enough for Daryl to hear.
    "I saw what you did, I followed you." Daryl's eyes popped.
    "Then why ya' here kid? Why dontcha run off and be a goddamned tattle tale?"

"Because I heard you talking… I know why you did it." Daryl looked at the little kid. "So whattya want?" Carl wiped the sweat off his head.
    "To thank you, for doing what she wanted. She was my best friend, and thank you." He quickly walked away before Daryl could reply. Daryl looked around the camp, seeing Carol rummage through everything, and seeing Rick setting up a plan to find Sophia, everything was in slow motion for him.
    Its funny how plans change and promises break, and how just a millisecond can change a life forever, and break any promises made. The whole camp was in the middle of chaos, looking for a little girl who was dead, and nobody, not even Daryl could change what was about to happen, because with a single, loud and clear gunshot, coming from the woods, everyone's life was about to change.

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 7 : ANGER

A single shot, rippled through a whole camps spine, parallelizing everyone in their tracks. Time stood still for a moment and when the world had caught up with them, everyone was brought back. Rick and Shane started running into the woods, followed by Carol and Dale; everyone seemed to rush to the madness, everyone except Daryl and Carl.
    Daryl watched as the whole camp, excluding the Morales family, and of course Carl, ran off, stupidly and impulsively into the woods. Carl had his hands in his pockets and was looking at the ground. Daryl looked suspiciously in the boy's direction, they made eye contact and Carl quickly looked away. Daryl found this annoying, why can't people jus' fucking say what they mean? Daryl didn't like beating around the bush.
    "Wha'ddo you want?" Daryl demanded. Carl's eyebrows became more aggressive.
    "What if that involves her?" Daryl rolled his eyes.
    "I hate ta break it you ya but she's dead." Carl responded with an obvious eye roll.
    "That's not what I mean; I meant I didn't tell you everything." Daryl raised he's eyebrow, as if to say, 'go on.' "I followed you to the tree…" Daryl choked up some flem, as if to say, 'get on with it' Carl started to breath heavily. "Well after you left, I said my goodbyes to her, I love Sophia, she was family, and I saw a man, and I don't know if he—" Carl was immediately cut off by Daryl running in the direction that everyone else had gone to. Carl didn't follow him; he didn't want to see her again.
    With every step, Daryl could feel the weight of his conscious taking a toll on him, not that he'd ever admit that. He could see the group heading towards where Sophia was, and although Rick wasn't a tracker, he was smart enough to know which direction a gunshot is coming from. That thought terrified Daryl, considering he was pretty sure the shot came from right near where he put Sophia. "Wait up!" he called. Dale legging in the background, stopped and saw him, and motioned him to hurry. They were now only a quarter of a mile from where he left Sophia. They eventually reached a tree, a beautiful tree, the tree.
    Carol screamed out at the sight of her daughter sitting with a man, with them both having gunshot wounds. She couldn't look anymore and, unknowingly she turned to run away and fell straight into Daryl's arms. She struck Daryl by surprise, but then he remembered,she didn't know, she doesn't know you're a fucking liar, Dixon; she doesn't know how stupid you are.
    It seemed Carol cried in his arms a lot, but he didn't think that made her weak. He remembered what Sophia said about Carol, and not wanting to live. He wanted to tell her what he did, and he would, but not now, because now he had to uphold a promise he made to a little girl, to keep her mother alive, and safe. So he wrapped one arm around the sobbing woman, who seemed to think his damn chest was a tissue, and he walked with her back to camp.
    Some while later, Rick approached Daryl, just as he freed himself from the clutches of Carol, Dale took over, lending his shoulder. Rick walked up like he was in a hurry.
    "Daryl I need your help."
    "Anythin"
    "We need to bring Sophia back here, and that guy, him too." Daryl nodded, and once more felt nauseous at the thought of having to look at what he did; it was like he was a bad dog and his nose kept getting rubbed in it. Rick and Daryl made it to the tree and Rick bent down and examined Sophia's face, and then he went over to the unknown man and picked up his gun, Rick examined it and looked down the barrel and let out a "mhm" Rick stood up and looked a Daryl. "Just what I thought." Daryl looked straight at Rick
    "What?" Rick waved the gun around.
    "This is not the piece that was used to kill Sophia and look-" he lifted up her pant leg, revealing the scratch, which looked considerably worse than it did when Sophia showed it to him. Rick looked at Daryl, as if he had inner knowledge, seeing if Daryl knew anything about what he was talking about. Daryl shrugged and Rick put the gun in his back pocket. They tied Sophia's hands and feet around the mans torso and they both carried them back to camp, to burn the man, and bury Sophia.
    They came grunting a sighing, from lifting all the dead weight. Carol was there, and the sight horrified her. She ran towards them, and untied Sophia, and when her lifeless body fell on the ground, Carol fell weak to her knees and held Sophia to her, and started breaking down.
    Rick walked by Daryl, and he said that hey needed to dig a grave and burn the other body. So Rick dragged the mad into the pit, and on a whim, he looked in the mans pocket. In his pocket he found a wallet. "Well hello Mr. Keenan Wallace, Aged 24." He pulls out a picture, he recognizes the photo, just barely, its of Lori. He turned it around. "Too my love, although I am taken, my heart belongs to you, Lor" Rick dropped the photo on the man, and Lit him on fire, erasing any trace of him. The funeral came a passed, and Carol seemed rather "okay" with what had happened, this was worrying everyone.
    Everyone was turned in for the night, and Daryl was walking around camp. He walked by Lori and Ricks tent, and he heard her begging him to talk to her. It was pathetic, she was pathetic. He heard some rustling in the trees, and went to check it out. If he didn't trip on her, he would have walked right by her. There was carol, completely blank faced, with a gun in her hand. Daryl's instincts took over; he jumped on Carol, trying to take the gun away. "Giv it ere'!" he commanded. All she did was refuse,
    "It's my pathetic life! If I want to end it, I have every right too!" she was trying her best to slither away, and Daryl just kept pulling her back, trying to reach the gun.
    "Its not what your girl would want!"
    "You don't know shit Daryl, you didn't know her!" All she was doing was making him more angry.
    "I know she wanted you too live!"
    "I'm doing this! I'm going to be with her! She wants me to be with her" Daryl grabbed her by the legs and ripped her back, probably harder then he meant to.
    "She wanted yuh you live you stupid woman!" They were yelling at each other, waking the whole camp up, and they all were gathering, listening, out of sight.
    "You don't know fucking jack, give me the DAMN GUN!" she slapped him in the face.
    "I know! I know she wanted yah to live!"
    "You're a stupid fucking hillbilly! What do you know about kids?!" Daryl's been angry before, but never this much, and he proceeded to scream in her face.
    "I KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER WAS SMARTER THAN YOU!" Carol stood there stunned, and she slowly crept for the gun. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it down. "And she didn't want you to die." He leaned down close to her face, and she spat on him, with hopes to distract him for a minute. He didn't wipe it away instead he yelled again. "She told me so, she said she wanted me to protect you, before I blew her infected brains out, AND I AINT WATCHING YOU BLOW YOURS OUT!"
    Multiple gasps followed that statement and the a shadow stepped out of the woods, "Daryl, get off of her."

Chapter 8: Now Were Even

"Daryl?" The figure was ignored, Daryl was in his own headspace, and it was like time had slowed down. He looked around at the scene he had caused himself to be in, Carol had given up, she just lied there, crying, and the whole camp was staring at Daryl. "Daryl, Get off her now!" The voice was Rick, and he just ignored it. He couldn't figure out how to process moving his body. Rick grabbed on to Daryl's arm, in efforts to pull him off, but Daryl wouldn't move. He couldn't. Carl walked out of the crowd, and picked up the gun that Carol had let go of, he rose his arm up and whacked Daryl in the face with all his strength, and Daryl keeled over and passed out.
    A little while later, Carol was folding laundry, she insisted on it. As she was making her perfect folds, Carl came up to Carol. Carl tried to talk to her, but she ignored him, but maybe she didn't hear him. Carol looked distraught, and broken to Carl, and he truly felt her pain. "I know it sucks, when people die." Carol nodded. "When I thought my dad was dead, I was mad at my mom." Carol looked up, in interest. "My mom and Shane were… Together." Carol walked over to Carl, and put her hand on hid shoulder.
    "Your mom thought your dad was dead, you're going to have to figure out a way to forgive her." She removed her hand and went back to the laundry, but still kept an open ear. Carl sighed.
    "No, cause they were together when dad was in the hospital." Carol nodded.
    "I figured, but that's their business." She picked up one of Sophia's shirts, and held back tears.
    "I was mad because I thought Shane killed my dad. Or left him to die… which he pretty much did." Carol was far to distracted to return a response, she clutched onto Sophia's shirt, like it was a life line. Carl licked his lips. "There's a reason I'm telling you this Ms Peletier."
    "Carl not right now." Carl stepped closer to her.
    "Yes now. I need to tell you what Daryl did, and why."
    (_)
    Many weeks, possibly a month passed, nor Carol or Daryl had spoken a word to eachother, this entire time. Maybe it was the fact that they slept in separate areas, maybe it was that Carol was depressed and grieve stricken, and Daryl had absolutely no idea how to console her, or if he was allowed. Carol hadn't said much in the past few weeks, nor had she eaten much, she'd lost nearly 20 pounds in this short time. Daryl had grown closer to Rick and Carl. He had become a solid, valued member of their group.
    They had held up at a farm, they had crossed paths with it a week after they hit the road, and despite the stubborn farms men, Herschel, the place was heaven. Running water, Milk, electricity, things they said goodbye to a long time before that, Carol had stayed away from nearly everyone in the group, except Carl, who would occasionally come and talk to her. He would fill her and Daryl in on how each other were.
    Carol was sleeping in the R.V everyone had moved into the house, and she didn't want to join them. She made the R.V her new home, and cleaning it, and just having something a little normal, made her feel good. Carl snuck out of the house often to spend time with Carol, and then he'd walk to Daryl's little makeshift camp, and fill him in, and on his way back, fill her in. Tonight, Carl decided he just wanted to stay with Carol tonight.
    Carl knew that Daryl cared for Carol, in a bigger way then either of them could admit, so he did his best on making sure to get Carol to eat once a day, which often was a struggle. "You know he cares about you right?" Carl said with a mouth full of rice.
    "You've said before." Carl swallowed the rice.
    "So talk to him."
    "It's not that simple." Carl rolled his eyes.
    "It is, you could die everyday, he could be dying right now, for all you know, and you can't be taking time for granted in this world."
    "You are wise beyond your years."
    "Effects of an apocalypse"
    Carl let a smirk out, and then he went up on the bed and fell asleep. Carol hadn't slept that much, although she could never be "Over" it, she was starting to feel a little better, and a night time, she had started going for walks a night time. Carol put on her knitted sweater, and her shoes, she grabbed a sip of water, and slipped out of the R.V slowly. She was deep in thought, full of 'What ifs' and 'what abouts' that she didn't even noticed she wandered onto Daryl's territory.
    "Carol?" He said with disbelief. Carol stopped and looked around and realized where she was.
    "Evening."
    "Do ya need help? Are ya okay?" Carol shook her head no, and he couldn't help but feel disappointed.
    "I must have wandered off, I'm sorry."
    "You always welcome here." Carol couldn't take this, and she turned around to walk away, and Daryl grabbed her arm, expecting her flinch, or hit him, or at least pull away, but she didn't. "I'm glad you came here." Her facial expression was unreadable. "I' been tryin'… I'm sorry" Carol nodded, and looked at the ground.
    "I know what you did, and why you did it." This shocked him, and he waited for her to find something else to say, because he couldn't find a response. "You did it for her, and if it's what she wants... wanted… then you did right by her, and then you did right by me." Tears filled her eyes, and fell down her cheeks. "And look at me… All I do is cry, I'm a burden, and I have no idea how to…" In that moment, Daryl did something, he thought he' forgotten how to do, he snapped his arms around Carol, like she was everything he had, he pulled her close to him, with a force, and it surprised both of them.
    He doesn't know how long they were standing there, but he didn't care, he did realize it took only 3 seconds for his world to come crashing down, Carol jerked away from him, with a force, and she ran right behind him, and stabbed a walker in the head, the sucker must had snuck up on them, and when his head processed it, he thanked her.
    "I have to go back to the R.V" Daryl was disappointed.
    "You hate me?" she shook her head no.
    "Carl, I can't leave him alone much longer, I won't do to him, what his mom does." Daryl put his hands in his pocket and kicked the dirt.
    "Can I come?"
    "Sure."
    They walked back to the R, V and Carl was asleep. They crept quietly to the back, where there was a living space, and looked at each other when they realized there was only one bed. Daryl pointed at the bed. "You sleep there; I will sleep on the floor here. Carol crawled in bed.
    "You're not a dog, sleep on the bed." Daryl let out a sigh, he didn't know what to do, and he didn't know if he could sleep in the same bed as somebody. Carol patted the spot beside her. "Come on now, I'm not asking." Daryl smiled at thought of her telling him what to do, and he sat on the bed, but didn't lie down. "Lay down." Daryl looked at her awkwardly.
    "I don't sleep… with a… shirt on…" Carol let out a chuckle, and he wasn't sure what she was laughing at.
    "Then take it off." Daryl's whole body tensed. "Self conscious?" She kept chuckling. He bit his lip. "Here I don't like sleeping with pants on, I'll take those off, and then we're even." Daryl chuckled, and then tensed again.
    "No I sleep with it on, ya can get comfortable though." Carol gave him a 'Really?' type of stare.
    "Take it off." Daryl didn't feel like protesting, he hadn't had a decent nights sleep in weeks. He took off his shirt, revealing, scar on top of scar, burns, and cuts. "Ohhh" she let out, and didn't mean too. He quickly snapped himself under the blanket. Carol felt bad for what she just did, so she slid off her pants, and shirt, and was just in a bra and underwear. Daryl moved him self, as far away from her as he could get. Carol noticed this, and just under her breath she said "Hold me, like we're going to die tomorrow, because we could." Daryl hesitantly moved his arm to grab around her waist. He felt her skin, it was really coarse, in the area he touched, and he move his hang slightly, and it got softer, He moved his arm, to get a better grasp at her, and felt more, rough and bumpy parts. That's when he realized, she had just as many scars, if not then more, than he did. Carol licked her lips. "Now we're even."

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast