Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level

Scott Gimple on "Audience loving characters" & "Cast soon learning character fates"

More as Wet Pain tackles pieces of the Scott M. Gimple- Larry King interview- this time a few bits of interest:

1.) He decides who dies

Scott expanded on the death subject to Larry King: “I want most characters that die on the show — most of them, not all of them, 'cause there are villains — I want the audience to love them. I want them to feel when they die. And even when The Governor died — who was a character who was a villain — he flirted with humanity, he almost made it, and he died when he decided to turn away from humanity." (This is why you never go Full Shane.)

2.) He wants the audience to love most of the characters

Larry mentioned how the sudden deaths are tough on the actors; they can’t really sign a three-year contract or whatnot. Scott acknowledged it's a year-to-year thing, but he said Lauren Cohan (Maggie Greene) has the best perspective on it, saying TWD helps her to live in the moment. You never know when your phone is going to ring, with Scott on the line to give you “the talk.”

3.) The cast members will be learning their character's season fates soon if they do not already know.

Who will get the talk in Season 5? The actors should be learning their season fates pretty soon — if not already — and filming starts in early May down in Georgia

Source

I'm not buying all of this given the show's previous history of determining character deaths suddenly (Merle,Andrea) although I know the reason why those happened. Seems to me from the Andrea/Merle thing too that while Gimple as showrunner working with the writers may determine the big picture in some cases, that TPTB also have input and may guide storylines too (Merle/Andrea) again. Plus AMC does have to sign off on storylines and overall season plots at some point in the planning process.

What are your thoughts on these issues?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Rock Your Own World! Element Girl's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    I like Lauren's take on living in the moment. That is really important in life. I agree that it is important for show to build up characters and for the audience to care about them. That is critical to any show's success, but I think TWD has not always done that. They have had some continuity issues and killed some people early in the game.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for the break down of info. Ripley. I have listened to interviews with both Scott Wilson and Jon B. in which they stated they were told of their character's deaths about four episodes ahead of time. Scott talked about this on his Talking Dead swan song. He said they called him at the end of filming S4E4 and told him about the midseason finale. So I sometimes wonder how far in advance they plan deaths? Or maybe they (Scott Gimple) just choose to wait to tell the actors?
    Like you Ripley, I think sources above and beyond Scott Gimple have a, sometimes big, say in who lives and who dies. How could it be otherwise? TWD is a huge monetary giant for AMC and ratings keep the money (ie advertising) flowing. If you kill off your favorite characters for the sake of the story, how will it affect viewership....ratings....advertising....longevity of the show itself. It is a slippery slope that I don't envy Scott Gimple having to navigate.
    The old "art versus commercial success" argument.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    It seemed to me like there was a bit of backlash or criticism as to how deaths were handled in season 3, so I guess I could buy that they are being more forthcoming with the actors and not making decisions suddenly or changing things at the last minute anymore, even if that hasn't always been the case.

I also think that, for me, Scott Gimple has done a good job in making me care about all the characters. I care about some more than others, and I could accept deaths of some more than others, but I don't think I will be like "meh" if any of the current cast dies. In previous seasons, I definitely did not care about some deaths, or was like, "finally!" Of course, I thought I was prepared for Hershel to die (I just figured once the prison was gone, he would be gone because of his age, and his amputated leg/being on the move), but when the time came, it made me really sad and it was the first time I cried watching this show.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Level
    From what I've heard, the actor's job is never safe until the finale is airing on screen and it is confirmed. Unless you are one of the invincible four of course.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I like Gimple a lot. reflecting over the season as a whole has made me appreciate it even more. I think because of some quick death decisions in the past (Don't forget Axel); Scott may be trying to bring up the professionalism of those in charge to giving actors and actresses more notice and warning earlier. While I know that Lauren does not really sit by the phone with a tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, under Gimple it's nice to know that the actors are getting some notice before they begin shooting the next season.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    Didn't SW comment that he knew Hershel was gone after he filmed internment. and his meeting with SG just confirmed it.

both Merle and andrea's deaths were last minute decisions.

Right now the cast is bloated I'm expecting at least 2-3 deaths in 5a.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Level
    Gimple is a much better show runner than Mazzara. I like how he doesn't kill just to kill, but he builds up characters and makes you care about them.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Many great points here about how the show did things in the past vs more recent changes.

Some members track plotlines such as character deaths through watching various cast members in interviews or appearance- say - Alanna Masterson's Talking Dead appearance and her body language/facial expression when the subject of Glenn came up, or watching Lauren Cohan during the EW video clips or the joint interview with Steven Yeun with Larry King.

Some fans think they can spot things while others are not sure. So it should be interesting to see the filming spoilers, articles, interviews etc. that come out between now and October and what y'all think, regardless of whether or not you believe the method works for you.

It should also be interesting to see which stories come out, which new buzz phrases "no one is safe!" or "these 4 are safe!" as we got last year:)

Anyone wishing to watch all the video of the Scott M. Gimple- Larry King interview with fan questions, it is here

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    It's good to see he's learned from S3 mistakes but there's still a lot to fix. We'll see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast