1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Just Another Dead Girl ScifiSpirit's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Level

Is Judith Infected?

I have no idea if this is a stupid question or not, please forgive me. I also don't know if it's been addressed, I didn't see anything.

In the comics, Judith's fate has been revealed, but clearly the show isn't following that exactly. Also, I have to wonder if they are keeping her alive for some other reason, since the show did *attempt* to explore the science behind the infection in Season 1. Or maybe they are just keeping her alive because they haven't the heart to kill an infant...yet.

I, personally, don't want to see Judith die. But I get that it may be inevitable. Regardless, if everyone is a carrier, meaning the virus/bacteria/fungus went airborn, then Judith probably is too. But, if whatever caused the initial infection wasn't a persistent disease (it can spread airborn, but can't survive outside the human body for an extended time), then everyone would have initially been infected at once and anyone born AFTER that initial infection might not be infected.

Something else to consider is if the virus can be passed from mother to child. Not all viruses behave that way. Anyways, I'm sorry for all the science/techy stuff. I was honestly just curious if, hands down, the consensus is that she's infected like everyone else, or if there's a possibility that she's not...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    425 Post(s)
    Level
    I think that before the series ends they will have to address it. Personally, I think that even if everyone tasted at the CDC was infected, I think that some people are/will be found out to be Immune. The fate of Judith is known in the comics, and in the TV series, they have had two opportunities to kill Judith. 1. When Lori gave Birth. 2. At the prison during S4 E8. TPTB did neither, which leads me to believe that Judith will be with us for awhile.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Level
    I think (and hope) Judith is NOT infected. That would give some hope to humanity that eventually this thing would die out.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm sure she's infected. No reason she would be any different.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    Who and where would her blood be tested?

The only doctor alive was the crazy one from season 5.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    It depends of the virus/whatever it is(we don't know that it is viral). Babies learn to distinguish self antigen from non self antigen in the womb. An antigen is basically the marker that is recognized by your immune system in order for your immune system to identity what it is looking at. Since Lori already had been exposed to the infection before she became pregnant with Judith, it is possible that Judith's immune system will recognize the zombie antigen as self, and will therefore not react to it. This assumes that it is the immune systems reaction to the antigen that causes the deadly effects, rather than the antigen itself. Sometimes this is the case. This is my opinion as a second year medical student who took a one week crash course in immunology so far. Of course, it is hard to argue science about an infection that makes no scientific sense anyways. It would be so cool if she got scratched and everyone was so upset because they were waiting for her to get sick, and then she is fine.