Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level

Spin-Off Series Speculation (possible comic/filming)

I'm starting a new thread on this subject because the last thread is a year & a half old.

I live in GA & thanks to this fine board, we have shots of what appears to be the "
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    It's quite early for that storyline, so here's my theory:

Maybe any such spin-off is about the people of DC & VA coming together to build the SafeZone, and their hardship along the way. Then a season or two into that we have the two programs converge?

I'd love your thoughts on my theory.

BTW-
    Spoiler Spoiler:

That the hell kind of NDA are they making these people sign??
    Last edited by Ripley; August 24th, 2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spoilers tagged

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Level
    Right now, I speculate that the spin-off will center on a caravan of Carnie folk, barnstorming their way across the ZPAW landscape.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    Don't forget webisodes.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    I hope the spin-off is a new self contained story each season. (Kinda like American Horror Story but without hiring the same actors every year for different roles.)

This kind of thing would work well for CHEAP AMC as well because they wouldn't have to pay the actors much and if they created a really popular character they could just write him/her off the show before the end of the season without that character dying and then all of a sudden that character would meet up with Rick and Co. on the regular show and become a new Daryl that the show can never kill without riots. Daryl is in need of a boyfriend or girlfriend anyway...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    News about the spin-off will emerge soon.

Disconnected stories within the TWD universe would be a nice option, since they would be able to use the same production set of the main show.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    I remember that when the spin off first got announced they said it wouldn't follow the current group/ the comics/ or the game and that all the characters will be completely brand new set in a different place in America.
    I still think it's to early to come up with ideas as to where it will be, who will be in it as we currently know very little about it.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by crossb0w View Post
    I hope the spin-off is a new self contained story each season. (Kinda like American Horror Story but without hiring the same actors every year for different roles.)

This kind of thing would work well for CHEAP AMC as well because they wouldn't have to pay the actors much and if they created a really popular character they could just write him/her off the show before the end of the season without that character dying and then all of a sudden that character would meet up with Rick and Co. on the regular show and become a new Daryl that the show can never kill without riots. Daryl is in need of a boyfriend or girlfriend anyway...

I think that would be an excellent idea. It's so good that I don't trust Gimple and the writing staff to do the right thing and explore that. Based on The Walking Dead name alone the show sells itself, so the worry about having regular characters to get behind every season is less of a concern. Of course, it's American show business and suits - while they like to think they are creative - are known for not getting behind anything that isn't traditional. Simply slapping the name "The Walking Dead" and adding a colon ":" followed by each subsequent season's name sells it. The promotional synergy with the parent show already gives it a pedigree. One could argue that the webisodes do this, but they have that tiny caveat of having a connection to established events, locations, or a vague connection to characters from the show (i. e. the Grimes family's storage locker). I actually got excited by the idea that each season tells a different story in The Walking Dead universe that is removed from the mother program, but totally connected to it based on events and pre-existing rules established in the show's television universe. If producers were smart and did follow this route they could also use the spin-off to groom writers and possibly bring them up to the parent program if they need fresh minds in the writing room (and they really do need to weed out the slack in their inconsistent writing). Hell, if Kirkman felt inclined he could also use it to address things he wished he got to in the comics, or take some risks with characters, incidents and situations he may have felt out of place with the narrative he's established in the comics.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think we will be getting such a concept.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by xingtai View Post
    I think that would be an excellent idea. It's so good that I don't trust Gimple and the writing staff to do the right thing and explore that. Based on The Walking Dead name alone the show sells itself, so the worry about having regular characters to get behind every season is less of a concern. Of course, it's American show business and suits - while they like to think they are creative - are known for not getting behind anything that isn't traditional. Simply slapping the name "The Walking Dead" and adding a colon ":" followed by each subsequent season's name sells it. The promotional synergy with the parent show already gives it a pedigree. One could argue that the webisodes do this, but they have that tiny caveat of having a connection to established events, locations, or a vague connection to characters from the show (i. e. the Grimes family's storage locker). I actually got excited by the idea that each season tells a different story in The Walking Dead universe that is removed from the mother program, but totally connected to it based on events and pre-existing rules established in the show's television universe. If producers were smart and did follow this route they could also use the spin-off to groom writers and possibly bring them up to the parent program if they need fresh minds in the writing room (and they really do need to weed out the slack in their inconsistent writing). Hell, if Kirkman felt inclined he could also use it to address things he wished he got to in the comics, or take some risks with characters, incidents and situations he may have felt out of place with the narrative he's established in the comics.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think we will be getting such a concept.
    Many excellent points here as usual @xingtai The format you describe and the opportunities to "bring writers up to speed" make a lot of sense. We know the Raleigh and Fayetteville Pinewood Studios facilities would make it easier to film using the alternate 6 months of production for the main show, so there is reasonable scheduling ability for the show to gain the tax and financial advantages as well.

I'd love to see Robert Kirkman have that chance to re-do some things he later regretted in the comic. May we please get you to step into the role of one of TPTB?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    I'm all out of likes and thanks because I spend too damn much time on this board. I do love your ideas, @Coachwhip, @crossb0w, @xingtai and @Ripley.

Of course, I'll watch the spin-off. Whatever it is, I'm down with more walkers and ZA characters on my tv screen.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Level
    No matter where the spinoff takes place or who is in it, I can't wait for more Walking Dead. I would love to have something totally different than the current show and maybe take place in another state or country to see how the rest of the world is coping with the ZA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast