Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level

EW S 5- 'The Walking Dead' first look: Seth Gilliam as Father Gabriel Stokes

"Executive producers Scott M. Gimple and Robert Kirkman told Entertainment Weekly that we will be meeting several new characters in season five of The Walking Dead—some from the comic book and some not. Well, we’ve got your exclusive first look at one such newbie right here, and it is a big one: Father Gabriel Stokes. Introduced in issue #61, in the comic Father Gabriel offers the survivors shelter in his church as he attempts to atone for past sins. Will his introduction on the TV show mirror that of the comic, or could Gabriel somehow be connected to the folks at Terminus? Viewers will find out after season five debuts on Oct. 12. But in addition to this first look photo, we also spoke to the man who will be playing Father Gabriel, Seth Gilliam, about how he landed the part, whether he read the source material, and what it’s been like to join the show.

EW: Why don’t you start by telling me about the casting process and how you ended up on this show as Father Gabriel.
    SETH GILLIAM: I actually did not realize I was reading for the role of Father Gabriel during the casting process. The sides were for a school guidance counselor named Michael, who had an issue with a couple of his students. I had not seen the show before I was cast on the show. So I just thought, Okay, I guess they’ve discovered some guy who’s holed up at a school or something like that and was carrying around this horrible exchange that he had with his students. [Laughs]

That’s hilarious. So when were you informed about whom your character actually was?
    I got a call from Gale Anne Hurd after the offer was made to me to explain who I would be playing. And that was about maybe a week after I had auditioned...."

Source

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    How I hope he's nothing like his comic counterpart.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Why? It could be interesting if they kept the same basic backstory to his character in the tv series. Sure, they could twist around a couple of details about his character, but I'm actually hoping they keep him as much to the comics storyline as possible. I can't wait to see how Rick and his people will react to that.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Level
    He's such a strong performer, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with the character!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Why? It could be interesting if they kept the same basic backstory to his character in the tv series. Sure, they could twist around a couple of details about his character, but I'm actually hoping they keep him as much to the comics storyline as possible. I can't wait to see how Rick and his people will react to that.
    Im just not a fan of how he is in the comics.mi get the backstory and I do like that but soon after that he just becomes so cowardly and I would've expected him to understand the world they live in and that they aren't going to do things they are comfortable with, he just isn't built for it and I'm not a fan of that.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Damn he looks good in that picture. Jesus christ.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind his introduction, dark past, and witnessing the butchering of the Hunters. But I do mind that he tries to get Rick and co kicked out and then fades into the background FOREVER. Like literally. I hate how some of the characters just disappear forever. Redshirts get more closure than characters we learn about!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walking Kwame View Post
    Damn he looks good in that picture. Jesus christ.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind his introduction, dark past, and witnessing the butchering of the Hunters. But I do mind that he tries to get Rick and co kicked out and then fades into the background FOREVER. Like literally. I hate how some of the characters just disappear forever. Redshirts get more closure than characters we learn about!
    Rosita comes to mind as well when you say fades away

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    Im just not a fan of how he is in the comics.mi get the backstory and I do like that but soon after that he just becomes so cowardly and I would've expected him to understand the world they live in and that they aren't going to do things they are comfortable with, he just isn't built for it and I'm not a fan of that.
    Fair enough, -and excellent response by the way- in my opinion though, I like the way people who're not built for the TWD world are being portrayed. It just keeps things more interesting and show us different perspectives of how people view the world in the universe they're trying to survive in. Much like Morgan in 'Clear'; Who said the world would be inherited by the weak (One of my favorite episodes).

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Fair enough, -and excellent response by the way- in my opinion though, I like the way people who're not built for the TWD world are being portrayed. It just keeps things more interesting and show us different perspectives of how people view the world in the universe they're trying to survive in. Much like Morgan in 'Clear'; Who said the world would be inherited by the weak (One of my favorite episodes).
    Thank you and Clear is by far my favourite episode lol. I'm hoping it will be different in the show to in the comics, I'd like to see his backstory stay the same as it is but after that when he turns on Rick in a way and just cowards out of most situations, I don't know I've just never got on board with that. Maybe they stick to the same in the show and Gilliam does a wonderful job, maybe not but who knows until we see the finished product?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Another hot guy from The Wire?