Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Offline
    Love Interest onecoolremove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In a place far far away
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    633
    Threads
    9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Points
    529
    Level
    13

    How fans view female characters and male characters

    I found this on tumblr and have not found the words to express the differences between how fans react to male characters and female characters. Robert Kirkman is aware and summed it up really well. It fascinates me how female characters are vilified even when they are not being villains. I know they have deleted certain scenes with Carol because they were afraid fans would hate her...ie, scene from Judge, Jury, Executioner, with Daryl.

    It was surprising and disheartening, in Lori’s case especially. I feel like the infidelity turned a lot of people against her from very early on, so whatever she did from that point on was suspect and made people dislike her. As writers, we felt that the infidelity was fairly justified. It was the end of the world, she thought Rick had died, Shane lied to her a little bit and let her believe that more than she should have. I always viewed her as more of a victim than anything else in that situation. It’s odd sometimes to see how the audience perceives certain things. It’s something we’re certainly trying to be mindful of more in the writers’ room, how female characters interact with male characters, and what the potential for the audience is to misinterpret things the female characters are doing. It’s a pretty big danger in television writing. You look at Skyler in Breaking Bad and you think, No, guys. She was the one who was right. I understand that the show is trying to get you behind Walt, but it’s not supposed to get you so behind him that you hate everyone who disagrees with him.
    Robert Kirkman, ‘Does it surprise you how vilified Lori and Andrea were? Is that something you’re mindful of as you write for and create new female characters?’ [x] (via the-walking-dead-amc)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Offline
    Token Black Guy JoshLail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,599
    Threads
    65
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Points
    664
    Level
    20
    "Found on tumblr", I stopped right there. Seriously though, I dislike Shane's character just as much as Lori's for committing adultery.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Offline
    Our Blades Are Sharp Bestrafen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,514
    Threads
    79
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Points
    5,131
    Level
    31
    Thanks for posting but yes, Tumblr is the internet's rectal passage.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Offline
    You're still a dumbass. Delta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,018
    Threads
    37
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Points
    866
    Level
    36
    Breaking Bad- I was Team Skyler WAY more than Team Walt. Skyler was a BITCH, but Walt was a murderer who would stop at nothing to get exactly what he wanted out of life. Walt made Rick look like Prince Charming. At best, Walt was a bad human being.

    Lori was the high school tramp who secretly loved the boys fighting over her.

    Then you have female characters like Michonne, Maggie and Carol, who can stand on their own, fight for who they love, but still understand they need people to make them stronger.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Offline
    Sharpshooter Island Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,116
    Threads
    4
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Points
    4,517
    Level
    24
    I never viewed Lori as being an adulterer - she thought/believed her husband was dead at the time. And she stopped as soon as she realized that he was still alive.

    I disliked her character for the two-timing machinations she did, like telling Shane to leave her and Carl alone - not even speaking to them - but then asking Shane to stay with the group. Or when she complained to Rick that Shane thought that she and Carl belonged to him and that he was dangerous, and asked Rick to do something him, and then blamed Rick when Rick killed Shane. And for the fact that she couldn't even drive a car down a deserted road without running into the only walker in sight and rolling the car.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Offline
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Father Gabriel's crotch
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,073
    Threads
    97
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    I disliked Lori less on my rewatch of s1 to s3 although I continue to dislike Andrea.
    Then you have female characters like Michonne, Maggie and Carol, who can stand on their own, fight for who they love, but still understand they need people to make them stronger.
    Don't forget Sasha and Tara who are excellent walker fighters.

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Offline
    Love Interest onecoolremove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In a place far far away
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    633
    Threads
    9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Points
    529
    Level
    13
    "Found on tumblr", I stopped right there. Seriously though, I dislike Shane's character just as much as Lori's for committing adultery.
    Not sure how you can argue a observation from a source in a quote...I have read several articles on this issue...not located on tumbr...but thanks for the opinion. interesting.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Offline
    One-Hand Villain Katanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Michonne's backside
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,158
    Threads
    2
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Points
    172
    Level
    23
    I agree about how sexist fans can be. If Lori was a male character, there's no way she'd get half as much of the hate and criticism she gets for being a 'bad' mother and wife. I never believed she cheated on Rick with Shane (she thought her husband was dead because of him) or that she tried to pit the two of them against each other. But I blame the writers for making it so easy for things to be interpreted that way, and also for making Lori forget all about Shane's attempted rape.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Offline
    Banned User Ripley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    U.S.S. Sulaco
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    19,825
    Threads
    940
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Points
    13,627
    Level
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    I never viewed Lori as being an adulterer - she thought/believed her husband was dead at the time. And she stopped as soon as she realized that he was still alive.

    I disliked her character for the two-timing machinations she did, like telling Shane to leave her and Carl alone - not even speaking to them - but then asking Shane to stay with the group. Or when she complained to Rick that Shane thought that she and Carl belonged to him and that he was dangerous, and asked Rick to do something him, and then blamed Rick when Rick killed Shane. And for the fact that she couldn't even drive a car down a deserted road without running into the only walker in sight and rolling the car.
    I agree with you here and also am so sick of the slut-shaming that goes on against Lori and Andrea who had the same number of sexual partners in the ZA as did Shane and The Governor, who are never vilified for that as men. Guess some double-standards don't change in the ZA.

    I disliked Lori's poor choices and Andrea's just as I dislike the stupid or poor choices of every other character on the show.

    Quote Originally Posted by onecoolremove View Post
    I found this on tumblr and have not found the words to express the differences between how fans react to male characters and female characters. Robert Kirkman is aware and summed it up really well. It fascinates me how female characters are vilified even when they are not being villains. I know they have deleted certain scenes with Carol because they were afraid fans would hate her...ie, scene from Judge, Jury, Executioner, with Daryl.



    It was surprising and disheartening, in Lori’s case especially. I feel like the infidelity turned a lot of people against her from very early on, so whatever she did from that point on was suspect and made people dislike her. As writers, we felt that the infidelity was fairly justified. It was the end of the world, she thought Rick had died, Shane lied to her a little bit and let her believe that more than she should have. I always viewed her as more of a victim than anything else in that situation. It’s odd sometimes to see how the audience perceives certain things. It’s something we’re certainly trying to be mindful of more in the writers’ room, how female characters interact with male characters, and what the potential for the audience is to misinterpret things the female characters are doing. It’s a pretty big danger in television writing. You look at Skyler in Breaking Bad and you think, No, guys. She was the one who was right. I understand that the show is trying to get you behind Walt, but it’s not supposed to get you so behind him that you hate everyone who disagrees with him.
    Robert Kirkman, ‘Does it surprise you how vilified Lori and Andrea were? Is that something you’re mindful of as you write for and create new female characters?’ [x] (via the-walking-dead-amc)
    Thanks for posting this- first thing I have seen from Robert Kirkman in a while that doesn't make me want to double-tap him instantly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katanas View Post
    I agree about how sexist fans can be. If Lori was a male character, there's no way she'd get half as much of the hate and criticism she gets for being a 'bad' mother and wife. I never believed she cheated on Rick with Shane (she thought her husband was dead because of him) or that she tried to pit the two of them against each other. But I blame the writers for making it so easy for things to be interpreted that way, and also for making Lori forget all about Shane's attempted rape.
    Some excellent points here @Katanas and ones which fans often forget about IMO

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Offline
    Love Interest onecoolremove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In a place far far away
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    633
    Threads
    9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Points
    529
    Level
    13
    Thanks for posting this- first thing I have seen from Robert Kirkman in a while that doesn't make me want to double-tap him instantly.
    LOL...I know what you mean, and that is why I was a little surprised this quote was from him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Topics

  1. Female characters only serving as love interests?
    By jamrock89 in forum Relationships
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 15th, 2015, 11:04 PM
  2. Replies: 64
    Last Post: August 13th, 2014, 02:12 PM
  3. Which of the characters
    By Plague It On in forum Relationships
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 27th, 2014, 12:27 PM
  4. Video: IGN - Is Walking Dead Getting the Female Characters Right?
    By King Grimes in forum General TWD Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
  5. GN characters vs TV Characters
    By tenten32321 in forum General TWD Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.