1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level

Michael Cudlitz talks Abraham

Here's an interesting interview with MC about Abraham and their mission to DC

Letís talk about you on the show because you were the newbie last season ó you start in the back half of season 4, but you really only got to work with Steven from the original cast for most of it until the end there. Whatís it like now being sort of fully integrated into things?
    You bring up a really cool point. I did not feel like I was fully integrated yet. In retrospect, if I could choose a way to enter, that would be the way to do it, with Steven, so youíre not sort of blasted by the entire cast at one time having to figure out. Look, itís a large group, there are a lot of personalities. All amazing people, but itís a large group. Anyone in that situation is going to feel not just the pressure of meeting everybody, but, you know, youíre coming into a show thatís arguably the largest show in the world right now, taking on a pretty substantial role, as far as the comic book world ó one of the comic book fan favorites, a character that exists and that people have preconceptions about and expectations about. So thereís a lot sort of riding on entering.

So, in retrospect, completely thrilled with coming in that way, working with a smaller group and being able to sort of phase in. The rest of the group could see my work completely finished. Iím sure they talked amongst themselves to get a feel for what I was bringing to it, what my expectations were. Like you saw last year, they all wind up in the box car together, thatís when we all really started working together. Itís really fantastic. I said on the panel last year I felt like a guest invited into the house, and everyone was very gracious and they allowed me to sleep on the couch. This year, they built me a room.

I love this character from the comics. Heís a guy whoís very wrapped up in this mission heís basically sort of given himself to get Eugene to Washington. Tell me about why Abraham is doing this. Is this to give himself a sense of purpose in a world where a lot of purpose is often lost?
    Youíre a fan of the comics so I can sort of tie into that directly. Not only the world is lost, but everything for Abraham and his specific world is lost. This is the only thing left he has to live for, and it does have purpose, and it does have meaning. It has so much meaning it is literally the single-most important thing in the world that has to be done. Why no one else can understand that is sort of confusing to him. We get into it early on with Steven and his quest for Maggie. You mean to tell me that finding the person youíre in love with is more important than saving the world? If you really look at that question, thereís nothing more important than saving the world on its face, but if the only person left in the world that you love is still out there and you might be able to find them, would you try? What is worth living for if the only person you love and care about in this world is no longer with you? Which plays into his mission as well, and itís a very sort of curious paradox that drove him to what heís doing now.

You mentioned that past in the comics, which is a pretty tragic past. Is that something that weíre going to delve into a little more this season?
    Weíre going to be definitely examining his past and certain things are taken directly from the comics, as Scott has said, and certain things are paying homage to the comics. I think people who are fans of the comics and people who know nothing about it will be equally satisfied with the reveal of Abrahamís past and what is driving him. Weíre definitely going into all of the characters, what drives them this year. Itís really, really ambitious.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for posting, @day dreamer! Excellent article. Michael Cudlitz is funny, intelligent, humble, generous to his castmates, and has terrific insight into both GN and TV Abraham. (He's also hot, but I digress)

Spoiler Spoiler:

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    He does have a lot of great things to say. I look forward to the build to Abe's character.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Level
    I think getting to know Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene is going to be my 3 favourite thing to watch this season!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Level
    I would have paid good money to observe MC, SY, AL, and SG walking the floor at SDCC, all in Spiderman masks. xD

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    Loved the trio Abraham rosita and Eugene in 4b hoping they get some good stuff in season 5.

MC is a very good actor and sounds really funny.