1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Level

Under the Radar - Walking Dead Week: Chad L. Coleman on Playing Tyreese

Played by Chad L. Coleman, best known for his heartfelt portrayal of ex-con Cutty on The Wire, the TV version of Tyreese is similarly burly and courageous as his comic counterpart. Perfectly cast, Coleman brings a quiet intensity to the character, maintaining the original's sense of loyalty but coloring him with a sense of sadness and doubt that adds another layer of emotional complexity. And for those wondering how Tyreese fits in a cast crammed with heroic alpha males, the answer should come soon. Still grieving the loss of his girlfriend, he was last seen on the road to Terminus, with Carol and baby Judith in tow, the only group members not currently waiting for rescue in a dimly lit cattle car. Here, Coleman recalls his expectations when he joined the cast, explains how working on The Wire prepared him for The Walking Dead, and examines just what kind of character he'd like to see Tyreese become.

At this point, would you say more people recognize you for The Walking Dead or The Wire?

I've got to say, at this point, it's about 50-50. The Wire is the amazing gift that just doesn't go away. It resonates in a different way, but [The Wire fans] are just as passionate. You just don't have the same volume. They're like, "That was the greatest show ever! I don't care what you say." The Walking Dead fans are more like, "Oh, man! Tyreese!" The Wire fans, their passion is their appreciation that it was something they feel will never be replicated. [The Walking Dead] is growing in its passion for storytelling and that novelistic approach. I think we're continuing to evolve with that, and that's really exciting. You'll visit one character, and you may not hit that again until three or four episodes later. But it still resonates with people. That's very hard to do, but I think we're in that wheelhouse now. This show is just going to keep getting richer and richer.

When you think about the future of Tyreese, where do you see him going? I guess it's not really up to you, but what would you like to see happen?

On one level, I'd like to see him to continue to emerge as a leader with an amazing conscience, not unwilling to weigh the difficult decisions and give them the amount of time they're due. He's going to try to think it out and do whatever he can to reduce the harm to people. That's not always an attractive place to be in, because people make demands and don't agree and misperceive what you're trying to do. I love that struggle in him and his willingness to carry that mantle. I would like to see him open up his heart again and find love, because I think community is so important to him. And in order for it to grow, you've got to be involved and feel safe enough to bring a child into the world. I'd like to see him go down that road. I know it's harsh in the post-apocalyptic world, but I think his ultimate belief is that things will return to normal. So who are you going to be when things get back to normal, if you're willing to do all of this stuff to survive? What does that do to you inside?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Ubi concordia, ibi victor Sr.Grace's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for posting!! Love this man!!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for posting love chad

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for sharing, it's always lovely to hear what CC has to say.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    CC is always so eloquent and passionate in interviews about the characters he portrays, whether the character is Cutty Wise or Tyreese Williams. He brings that passion to his roles.

Thanks for posting the interview. Obviously, CC doesn't know that Ty already has a girlfriend .....
    Last edited by Carl's Right Eye; October 9th, 2014 at 05:27 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kristenicole View Post
    Played by Chad L. Coleman, best known for his heartfelt portrayal of ex-con Cutty on The Wire, the TV version of Tyreese is similarly burly and courageous as his comic counterpart. Perfectly cast, Coleman brings a quiet intensity to the character, maintaining the original's sense of loyalty but coloring him with a sense of sadness and doubt that adds another layer of emotional complexity. And for those wondering how Tyreese fits in a cast crammed with heroic alpha males, the answer should come soon. Still grieving the loss of his girlfriend, he was last seen on the road to Terminus, with Carol and baby Judith in tow, the only group members not currently waiting for rescue in a dimly lit cattle car. Here, Coleman recalls his expectations when he joined the cast, explains how working on The Wire prepared him for The Walking Dead, and examines just what kind of character he'd like to see Tyreese become.

At this point, would you say more people recognize you for The Walking Dead or The Wire?

I've got to say, at this point, it's about 50-50. The Wire is the amazing gift that just doesn't go away. It resonates in a different way, but [The Wire fans] are just as passionate. You just don't have the same volume. They're like, "That was the greatest show ever! I don't care what you say." The Walking Dead fans are more like, "Oh, man! Tyreese!" The Wire fans, their passion is their appreciation that it was something they feel will never be replicated. [The Walking Dead] is growing in its passion for storytelling and that novelistic approach. I think we're continuing to evolve with that, and that's really exciting. You'll visit one character, and you may not hit that again until three or four episodes later. But it still resonates with people. That's very hard to do, but I think we're in that wheelhouse now. This show is just going to keep getting richer and richer.

When you think about the future of Tyreese, where do you see him going? I guess it's not really up to you, but what would you like to see happen?

On one level, I'd like to see him to continue to emerge as a leader with an amazing conscience, not unwilling to weigh the difficult decisions and give them the amount of time they're due. He's going to try to think it out and do whatever he can to reduce the harm to people. That's not always an attractive place to be in, because people make demands and don't agree and misperceive what you're trying to do. I love that struggle in him and his willingness to carry that mantle. I would like to see him open up his heart again and find love, because I think community is so important to him. And in order for it to grow, you've got to be involved and feel safe enough to bring a child into the world. I'd like to see him go down that road. I know it's harsh in the post-apocalyptic world, but I think his ultimate belief is that things will return to normal. So who are you going to be when things get back to normal, if you're willing to do all of this stuff to survive? What does that do to you inside?

Ty could be the new moral compass of the group. I'd love to see him find love and have a child! *coughTychonnecough* Chad is too talented, and Tyreese is too iconic to be killed off early.