Thread: mentioning Beth

1. Back To Top    #71
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheclear View Post
    IMO , anyone would feel guilty. Say Bob and Beth were paired off. Probably nearly the same reactions. Seems like human nature to me although you may not agree , that's ok. He's gonna feel even worst pretty soon
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I think from what we've seen on season5 I feel a lot of characters are going through a journey in which the main point is "No point living in the past". I think I would like to see that happen to a couple of characters more than others,Rick,Carol,Daryl. I'm not saying he won't feel bad or guilty I just wouldn't like to see that stretch for too long that's all I'm saying. He never meant Beth to get hurt it was a mistake that's it. I don't know what you mean by
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I don't think anyone is eager to see a whole lot of Daryl manpain once again. Since he is telling people to move on and "whatever happened,happened" he should follow his own advice. If it was justified or not it's up for debate IMO but some fans got mixed feelings on Maggie after season4 becuase of Beth. I feel like it would be nice focusing on her reaction instead of Daryl's. It would be nice seeing grieving out of love and care instead of just "guilt". Even if it's just for the fact it's a relationship between two females and those are always neglected. I also hope
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    But aside from crying on the fence I don't remember Maggie going through a long grieving process or something. She aslo searched for Glenn instead of Beth or "before" she searched for Beth. Now the writers have the opportunity to give her a actual clue she should look for Beth. She should look eager to find her,etc.

2. Back To Top    #72
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnabelleLee View Post
    I thought it was more to assure Maggie that het sister is still alive. Daryl would've been a jerk not to let Maggie know about her sister who she thought may be dead. He needed to tell Maggie.
    I concur. What's unfortunate to me is that there's nothing conclusive in the scene to say, as many are assuming, that Daryl's reminder to the audience of Beth's plight (which is, IMO, what that mention was primarily serving as, delivered by the last person from the group who had been in Beth's presence) was the result of Maggie's asking the others about her sister's fate. There has, since 4b, been a lot of out of sight, out of mind going on, at least ostensibly, and the result has been unfortunate in terms of how some characters and relationships are perceived, with the majority of relationships seemingly downplayed.

I think we saw an effort to correct one such misconception with the Carol / Daryl reunion at the end of this episode, from which it was evident, despite Daryl's not outwardly talking about Carol in 4b, how vital that relationship is to him, both with the hug and in his walking purposefully at her side in its aftermath (in stark contrast to his following and/or low mood throughout 4b and in keeping with their walk to the fence in 4x01) and another in "A" with the Rick / Daryl reunion, from which it was evident how important Daryl is to Rick during to the "brother" moment, despite Rick's not outwardly talking about Daryl in 4b. Hopefully, we'll have to opportunity to see something similar with Maggie and Beth at some point this season, even at only at the point of a potential reunion.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by 1979; October 26th, 2014 at 10:06 AM.

3. Back To Top    #73
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by famouslastwords View Post
    I think from what we've seen on season5 I feel a lot of characters are going through a journey in which the main point is "No point living in the past". I think I would like to see that happen to a couple of characters more than others,Rick,Carol,Daryl. I'm not saying he won't feel bad or guilty I just wouldn't like to see that stretch for too long that's all I'm saying. He never meant Beth to get hurt it was a mistake that's it. I don't know what you mean by
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I don't think anyone is eager to see a whole lot of Daryl manpain once again. Since he is telling people to move on and "whatever happened,happened" he should follow his own advice. If it was justified or not it's up for debate IMO but some fans got mixed feelings on Maggie after season4 becuase of Beth. I feel like it would be nice focusing on her reaction instead of Daryl's. It would be nice seeing grieving out of love and care instead of just "guilt". Even if it's just for the fact it's a relationship between two females and those are always neglected. I also hope
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    But aside from crying on the fence I don't remember Maggie going through a long grieving process or something. She aslo searched for Glenn instead of Beth or "before" she searched for Beth. Now the writers have the opportunity to give her a actual clue she should look for Beth. She should look eager to find her,etc.
    I agree! On most counts at least . I still think Daryl will have a similar reaction when stuff goes down with
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    then he did with Beth's . You are putting too much faith in tptb to think different people , different relationships. Tptb only sees a manpain opportunity and me and you both know they'll jump on that opportunity with no hesitation.

Maggie I really don't even know what she's thinking . It doesn't even seem like a sibling relationship. I would never act this way if that were on of my little brothers , I know she doesn't have a lead on her or anything but I mean if I knew my brother was out there you better believe I'd be searching until I find him or die. Not smiling and carrying on to d.c . I am very hesitant to blame Maggie for this as it's a big writing error. Yet again. Poor LC

4. Back To Top    #74
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    In the premiere we had Daryl telll Maggie using a voice over which I think was done for Maggie's character as it would have been weird if she hasn't asked about Beth especially after the writers gave her sister amnesia in 4b.

In was strange that in strangers none of the characters including Maggie Glenn Daryl Rick mentioned Beth when they all decided to go to DC. Beth is a kid on the show and seen as a kid by the group you would think they would be thinking about her and about her well being but not one bothered to mention her.

The first mention we get of beth in strangers is when Daryl sees the cross car and remembers that the car took Beth. Either the writers are ignoring the group remembering or in the scheme of things Beth just doesn't matter in those first couple of episodes,
    Last edited by whitestar1; October 26th, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

5. Back To Top    #75
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    425 Post(s)
    Level
    I will say that if the intent to show Beth as an individual, grown-up character by NOT having Maggie show more concern, it has been done so at the expense of the Maggie Character, and not to Daryl's, Carol's or Beth's. As a big Maggie fan I found that going down that road both last season, with the search for Glenn, and thus far in this season, is incredibly out of character for Maggie. It makes her look very cold and indifferent.

6. Back To Top    #76
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Level
    I think is weird not having Maggie mention any of her family members. Pretty sure Glenn mentioned Hershel once and Maggie didn't.

It was just really weird. It wouldn't take long at all for her to mention them a few times,show some concern for Beth and they wouldn't even need to waste lines,they would just have to add her name to the signs.

I feel like people would be more invested on "Where is Beth" if Maggie and most of the others were showing deep concern for her. Even Sophia had all this emotions involved and she was a minor character.

It has nothing do with being a adult or a child a lot of people went missing before. Daryl wanted to look for Merle and asked people about him all the time on season1.

It was bad writing decision I suppose. Not that they didn't look for her since they didn't have any clues but the fact they didn't even "try" like putting her name on the signs or asking about her more often I don't know.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678