1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level

The Flashbacks and the Theme of the overall season

I just noticed something in the flashbacks seen in the beginning and the end of episode. Alex and Gareth are in a train car and Alex asks what they have now become. In the last flashback after Mary returns after being raped and the people holding them captive choose another girl to rape, Gareth says, "We become the butcher." I think this is an intro to this season's theme, "What do we become?" I think this has to do with Mary's explanation to Carol about what Terminus was and how the theme of What we Become is going to be explored. What thoughts do you guys have on this?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    @Christ2010Grad, I believe Tyreese's crisis of conscience was a precurser to the theme of the season which will be "Who are we?" To answer that question, the group will have to address what they have done to survive.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyreese's girlfriend View Post
    @Christ2010Grad, I believe Tyreese's crisis of conscience was a precurser to the theme of the season which will be "Who are we?" To answer that question, the group will have to address what they have done to survive.
    Yeah, I noticed that too.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Hershel's line about choosing what you risk your life for came to mind during this ep. It seems that killing has become unavoidable, but you can choose what you do it for. I think this was a big revelation for Tyreese and something Carol came to understand before everyone else. I think Glenn will struggle with this through out the season.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Level
    I think it's about pushing the characters to their limits. Rick, Carol, Daryl, Sasha, Abraham, those are examples
    Of characters that are already there I think as far as willingness to kill and do whatever it takes, by characters like Tyreese and Glenn and others will be pushed to it. I don't think Tyreese killed that guy I think he's Coming back to screw them over big time. The flashbacks to me represent a cycle of violence, the Not Negan rob zombie guys crew rolled through terminus when it was good and took them over and they were prisoner and then they took it back and lost their minds a bit and became the way they are now because of trying to counter the violence that fell upon them and were pushed to a limit they couldn't come Back from. But now Ricks group will be pushed to savagery just like them and will be changed from that experience except we know our group can come back from the things they've done and won't go full nuts like the termites. I think the theme is about the cycle of human violence and being pushed to your limit.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Interesting how the music came back to TG theme during Carols attack on Terminus, just like his attack on the prison.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    It just dawned on that Rick and co's slaughter of Gareth and his crew is also very relevant to the theme of "What do we become?"

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRumpleteaze View Post
    I think it's about pushing the characters to their limits. Rick, Carol, Daryl, Sasha, Abraham, those are examples
    Of characters that are already there I think as far as willingness to kill and do whatever it takes, by characters like Tyreese and Glenn and others will be pushed to it. I don't think Tyreese killed that guy I think he's Coming back to screw them over big time. The flashbacks to me represent a cycle of violence, the Not Negan rob zombie guys crew rolled through terminus when it was good and took them over and they were prisoner and then they took it back and lost their minds a bit and became the way they are now because of trying to counter the violence that fell upon them and were pushed to a limit they couldn't come Back from. But now Ricks group will be pushed to savagery just like them and will be changed from that experience except we know our group can come back from the things they've done and won't go full nuts like the termites. I think the theme is about the cycle of human violence and being pushed to your limit.
    I could not have said any of this better @TheRumpleteaze.