Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level

Discussion: Is Daryl Dixon an "Abusive Jerk" or a "Misunderstood Bad Boy"?

OK, time to step up and take a stand on everyone's favorite crossbow-wielding ZA man. Since this thread as grown out of another one as intense off-topic discussion, some posts will be moved over from the Spoilers area before it is opened for comments.

This is about what some members see as abusive behavior vs what other members see as simply bad boy behavior.

So analyze Daryl's every move since Season 1, quote your statistics for findings, compare Golden Age movie idols and leading men from the 1970s to your heart's content to make your point and express your opinions.

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here by Ripley Titled Discussion: Is Daryl Dixon an "Abusive Jerk" or a "Misunderstood Bad Boy"?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    I am King, everything is possible. King Grimes's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Level
    This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon's Mistress View Post
    I agree that Beth by law is an adult. But Beth called herself a girl in the scene we are talking about. And after Daryl treated her like shit and dragged her around he called her a girl. So technically she is a teenage girl. Not trying to be picky just calling it the way it was in the show.
    EK called Beth a teenage girl I would hope she has enough understanding of her character that she is to be trusted when talking about her level of maturity.

I think people are reaching a lot regarding the Carol/Mika thing. All Carol did was say "no" to Mika and suddenly she's a bad mother and abusive? She would be a bad mother if she said it was a amazing idea to bury all walkers and supported Mika on everything if even she is wrong. That's not what good parents and hopefully a lot of people are aware of that.

It's just complete different situations.

I don't think what Carol was violent to Mika she was just treating as serious issue like it should be treated: like a serious issue. Daryl manhandled Beth and made fun of her suicide attempt and it had nothing to with teaching her anything or trying to protect her but it had to do with trying to make her feel as bad as he did like many people pointed out.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Level
    Is anyone else really bummed out this needed a second thread?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Dont Call it a Comeback blackjackandcoke88's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyChatKiller View Post
    I am. I can't believe there's people who not only excuse the behavior Daryl displayed, but justify it.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Yep.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1748 Post(s)
    Level
    Very bummed and sad by it!!!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    A couple of things to add from the last thread:

1) someone said that they thought this was "a one time thing". It wasn't. Daryl also belittled and mocked a grieving Carol back in season 2. This was NOT a one time thing, but a continuing character flaw that the writers are showing for a specific reason. And no, he has not repented and changed his thought processes as far as what has been shown on tv yet. I have hopes for season 5 though.

2) Beth was not used/seen as an adult (peer to Daryl) in "Still" and "Alone". TPTB have explicitly stated that the theme for 4b was "kids teaching adults lessons". Carl was used in his group. Lizzie and Mika were used in their group. And Beth was used as a kid in her group. A kid. NOT an adult. The adult that needed to learn a lesson was Daryl. The only groups without kids were Glenn and Tara and the group of Maggie, Sasha and Bob. And they were used to introduce Abe, Rosita and Eugene.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    @Jango627 can you please link all this interviews where everyone on the show refers to beth as a woman. Because the only person who has done that is NR. EK herself refered to beth as a teenager and daryl as a old dude.

Also i have seen deth fans on this forum refer to beth as a child.

SG commented that a theme in season 4 was focusing on the kid characters Carl lizzie mika patrick and beth would fit with that group. In the episode A she was grouped with them.

Also Daryl refered to Glenn as a kid and Glenn would have been 21-22. Which means Daryl the character would see beth as a kid as she is even younger than Glenn.
    Last edited by whitestar1; August 21st, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Originally Posted by scifiaddict86

B) Darryl was in extreme emotional duress which partial explains his behavior

OK, I agree completely @scifiaddict86 that Daryl (not Darryl btw) was under extreme emotional duress in 4-b, just like every other character on the show who survived the prison fall. Yet Michonne, Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Tyreese, Carol, Maggie, Sasha, Bob, Carl and Beth herself never resorted to grabbing another person while screaming hurtful things to them, drunk or sober, putting them into a chokehold and dragging them around while their victim protested, struggled and said no many times. So if Carl can manage his emotions in a reasonable way, even as angry as he was at Rick or Maggie could witness the horror of Hershel's decapitation, lose her husband and sister too, while the rest had losses/griefs/anger equally great, which they did, no one else had abusive behaviors anywhere close to Daryl's.

c) Darryl recognized and acknowledged that his behavior was out of line

Daryl did acknowledge that his behaviors were out of line- later and after he had done all of that to Beth, just as he realized it earlier with Carol after he raised her hand to her as if to hit her. Remorse after the fact is a nice gesture, but meaningless unless one stops the behavior, which Daryl had not as we saw in Season 4. Hardly seems worth giving the character a medal for realizing he was abusive to Beth, but I guess Daryl is just special that way.

Yes, again,

Darryl was simply angry and lashing out

True- that's what abusers do, verbally, physically, emotionally, etc. Instead of finding non-harmful ways to manage the emotions than resorting to being abusive.

A true abuser seeks to control and wear down thier victims because it makes them feel safe and powerful.

No, actually. "True abusers" (as opposed to untrue ones?) behave as they do for all sorts of reasons; not all do it to feel safe and powerful, they do it because it is what they do, period.

By any social or psychological definition an abusive relationship requires a pattern or repeated behavior otherwise its simply assault.

If you re-read the Part I of this topic, multiple incidents from Seasons 1-4, against multiple characters have been described often and quite well. Not sure here why "simply assault" is described as if it somehow escapes the abusive umbrella here, but as far as semantics (and law codes, generally accepted societal mores, customs and practices go), assault is also abusive and an abusive behavior.

As for closed minds, that's always fine of course- I never worry about trying to change a closed mind.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.