Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level

Michonne: Sidelined again and "Mammied"

First off let me say I am a Richonne shipper. Now that is out of the way let me continue on to say that I actually enjoyed this episode immensely. But what did I not enjoy. The use of Michonne.

Michonne is a sensational character and for intents and purposes my favorite character. Would I stop watching the show if she died? Hardly, since I watched the show for two seasons before she showed up and that was before I got into the comics. I got into the comics when I found out there was a character like Michonne. So that being said, I am a bit annoyed by her use this past season.

5A is almost over and Michonne has lived in the shadows or did not appear. In this particular episode she said 3 sentences and that was it. One to Rick, which I thought was very meaningful, but not enough. And exchanged a very short meaningful dialogue with the very scared Father Gabriel. Now, I am not a fan of the use of Michonne.

I always felt the show was not really using her properly. She went from being super stoic to turning into a weapon with a few moments with silence. She's at her best when she is interacting one on one with characters for instance Carl, Rick, Father Gabriel, Daryl, and even Judith. But as of late they have not utilized her or maximized on her. Danai is a brilliant actress and once again I feel she's sidelined.

Additionally, she's "mammied" for those who do not what that means. Mammy is the name of old for the slave that looked after the children of the White Plantation owner. Normally these women are depicted in films as extremely dark skinned women. And sadly, because there wasn't more expressive dialogue between Rick and Michonne for her to stay behind and he goes with Tyresse (of all people) it made the scene seem like Rick was using Michonne rather than seeing her value in the lives of Carl and/or Judith or just as someone who can protect and be a guardian to his children if something happens to him.

And now more and more it's looking like this because of the fact Michonne is not getting the relevant screen time necessary to get the story across. As a fan I'm annoyed and as a Black woman I'm starting to get insulted here. We are more than just a weapon or a babysitter. I would love to see Michonne treated with a bit of softness that has been missing from her inception.

Your thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    I think saying she's been "mammied" is overreacting.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I am beyond annoyed. Annoyed enough to quit watching.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree, it sucks Michonne is being sidelined, but "mammied?" Really?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm so angry with this episode I can not talk about it. Good thread, I will follow. And I'm angry for the same reasons as you. Michonne can have children, but I want to know what the fuck she's feeling to hold a baby that is not Andre. I want to see Michonne enough screen time to know what she is feeling. And I want Rick to thank her for to save his ass.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Since the beginning of Season 5, Rick has spent a lot of time talking about how much he owes Carol. He thanked the woman several times. He mentions how grateful he is several times. But he never thanked Michonne for saving him from the Governor. Rick never thanks Michonne for anything half of the time. He just seems to think she is there for whatever he needs. He takes her for granted. Even in the episode tonight, he doesn't thank her. He just hands her the baby and leaves. Why does he think that Michonne is suppose to be there just to take care of his kids and he doesn't have to thank her? She is not Carl and Judith's mom. She doesn't owe him or the Grimes family anything really. Michonne doesn't get any scenes this season either. Her main scenes are connected to Rick a lot. The writers are turning Michonne into the babysitter or nanny. It is really offensive and disgusting with what they are doing with her character. Michonne isn't family. She is just a friend and Rick should thank her sometimes.

I know Carol and other characters took care of Judith, but what else is Michonne doing this season? Nothing, but taking care of the Grimes family.

Then there is the second half of the season. Maybe the writers will not be crazy enough to have Michonne take care of Rick's kids while he is with Jessie. Let Jessie take care of his kids, since she will be with him. Michonne shouldn't be his backup plan he never appreciates to be there for his kids. I do not know why The Walking Dead isn't giving her a good story this season.

Michonne's development this season went where?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by day dreamer View Post
    I think saying she's been "mammied" is overreacting.
    I don't. Because this is the start of where it begins. I like her relationship with Carl, but without any dialogue to explain why she stays behind when she would be effective on the team...it's like they've made her a fall back. I would get Tyresse staying behind automatically....I am left to assume why Michonne is left behind and that irritates me.

Again, this is calling for better or I should say careful detailing on her relationship with Rick and his kids for her to be left behind during something like this. This would have brought a bit more cohesion to her storyline, especially for a character that has been sidelined since Episode 1 of this season.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1394 Post(s)
    Level
    I disagree with the mammifying (because I do not think there is anything wrong with being a caretaker of children, esp. children that feel like family i.e. Carl and Judith), but I agree entirely with the rage at Michonne being sidelined from a storytelling standpoint. We've been without her for three episodes, and she speaks two lines with her return? JFC, it is infuriating.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielec View Post
    I'm so angry with this episode I can not talk about it. Good thread, I will follow. And I'm angry for the same reasons as you. Michonne can have children, but I want to know what the fuck she's feeling to hold a baby that is not Andre. I want to see Michonne enough screen time to know what she is feeling. And I want Rick to thank her for to save his ass.
    Exactly and I brought this up in the Richonne thread. I was hoping to see Carl ask her that question. How does it feel to be holding Judith and it's not Andre? How does she feel about having Judith alive and reunited with her family and yet she can never be reunited with her own. This a valid and legitimate piece of storyline for her and it wasn't here. It didn't flow right. I wasn't sure if Michonne was worried for Father Gabriel or worried Father Gabriel would hurt them and panning to her speaking with Carl before speaking with Father Gabriel was another valuable piece that would have been useful.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Out of what is left of the church group, I would not have let Michonne stay behind. Even though she has a relationship with Carl, I think she is more capable then Tyresse at this time.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast