Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level

Abe was he going to hit Rosita?

So we all saw Rosita twice now stand up to Abe, once when he was beating Eugene she stood in front of him, he had already knocked Tara away, and Rosita to the ground, was he going to hit Rosita tonight?, Maggie pulled a gun on him, she thought he was going to.

Was this another reason his wife was scared of him? How are we supposed to think he's a good guy? It kinda ruined his character for me a little going to hit his women.

Edit to add this photo I come across. Picture paints a thousand words

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm not sure how we as viewers are supposed to continue to see him as one of the "good guys" after that. I loved that while Rosita's instincts made her back away she basically still stood up to him. Maggie pulling a gun on him was amazing! I certainly hope the fact that the women, thank goodness, were strong in that scene in no way shape or form excuses or diminishes the fact that he violently lunged toward Rosita like that.

Abe's character is garbage and that just took the cake. Overacted, over the top, worse leader than Rick, and now an implied threat of violence against his girlfriend. Yeah, the sooner he dies the better!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    not sure...and until we see him actually raise his hand (which he didn't that I recall anyway) I don't want to assume anything. Was he abusive in the comics?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranna156 View Post
    not sure...and until we see him actually raise his hand (which he didn't that I recall anyway) I don't want to assume anything. Was he abusive in the comics?
    he didn't have a lot of respect for women, and shagged around a lot. I'll just check with someone like Jacko

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara21 View Post
    he didn't have a lot of respect for women, and shagged around a lot. I'll just check with someone like Jacko
    I agree with the no respect...but sorry I have just known way too many guys who have gotten accused of shit that they never actually acted upon. So until I see it, I don't like to assume. I haven't read the comics...so I don't know if abusing his power/strength is part of his makeup.

I took his wife leaving him as she was just an idiot and still holding onto civilized society ideals...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Level
    He lunged at Rosita. An implied threat of violence. IDK if he stopped himself or wasn't going to do anything in the first place but was just trying to get her to shut up. Either way it was wrong and shows an terrible flaw in his character. Men use implied violence to control and intimidate women all the time. Just because he didn't actually hit her, which of course would have been worse, doesn't mean he's not a complete douchebag for what he did do. The way he referred to her as a "piece of ass" to another man plus the way he talked to her the morning after doesn't make me think he has a lot of respect or feelings towards her.

The show has hinted at violence against women several times now. Daryl lunging at Carol, Daryl manhandling Beth while drinking and after taking a piss in front of her, and now Abe lunging at Rosita. I would prefer the show not use it as a cheap plot device and if they are at least make the offender the ass wipe he's supposed to be. Not the hero, leader, or good guy.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    He lunged at Rosita. An implied threat of violence. IDK if he stopped himself or wasn't going to do anything in the first place but was just trying to get her to shut up. Either way it was wrong and shows an terrible flaw in his character. Men use implied violence to control and intimidate women all the time. Just because he didn't actually hit her, which of course would have been worse, doesn't mean he's not a complete douchebag for what he did do. The way he referred to her as a "piece of ass" to another man plus the way he talked to her the morning after doesn't make me think he has a lot of respect or feelings towards her.

The show has hinted at violence against women several times now. Daryl lunging at Carol, Daryl manhandling Beth while drinking and after taking a piss in front of her, and now Abe lunging at Rosita. I would prefer the show not use it as a cheap plot device and if they are at least make the offender the ass wipe he's supposed to be. Not the hero, leader, or good guy.
    I don't think its a cheap plot device at all. Abuse - verbal, emotional and physical - is a very real and under reported aspect of human life. We pay a lot more attention to the physical abuse, but controlling, threatening people are even more common.

All of our "heroes" are flawed people. What separates our heroes from others in this world is the fact that they do have control. Daryl's change has been well documented, but he's not completely done with his journey. We're still learning about Abraham, but it's clear he has violent tendencies as a soldier that frightened his family and now have him approaching - and occasionally crossing - the line in the apocalypse.

The fact that he didn't strike Rosita - and the fact that she and Maggie stood right up to him - shows that doing anything to her would have really been across the line for him and even in his anguished state, he knew that.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't get the impression that Abe normally hits women, I think that he was in shock and she wasn't giving him his space to process everything that had happened and that was the only way he could get her away from his space. A knee jerk reaction of sorts. Drastic, yes? Does it make me like the guy? Not really, but I don't think he is an abuser. Though, the ambiguous scene with his wife and kids didn't help with the assumption that some have.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Abe assaulted Eugene, and knocked three women out of the way and Glenn to get at him, it kinda shows when Rosita ended up on the ground he didn't care he kept going for Eugene. Not ashamed or worried about his women. She was lying on her stomach.

Does it make a difference hitting a women or a man, especially in a one sided fight?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think he was going to hit her, he was trying to get her to back off. But what he did was wrong, he really needs to calm down. It was nice seeing Rosita and Maggie stand up to him
    Last edited by Shad0w; November 24th, 2014 at 04:47 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast