Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. Back To Top    #31
    Status
    Offline
    Gareth's widow twdfann1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    588
    Threads
    17
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Points
    259
    Level
    14
    We don't know the distance between Atlanta and the church.

    Probably they parked the truck a few miles away from the church not to catch any walkers attention. Plus, Daryl left with Carol, and then he was back with a new guy. He couldn't come up like it was a normal thing. "Oh heyy, i'm back. But instead of Carol, I brought with me this guy, Noah. The gang that kidnapped Beth also took Carol, this guy knows where they are, so let's go get them." Lool.

  2. Back To Top    #32
    Status
    Offline
    Lookout EagleMorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Occam's Razor
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    490
    Threads
    9
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Points
    663
    Level
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    Thanks for that, @EagleMorph. You made it easy to visualize even though THOSE things don't bug me as much as this: Can you tell me why Beth can stomp on a walker's head and it crumbles like chalk (others do that also) but Daryl can grab a walker's head through the eyeballs and use it to knock a human out with because it is so hard. This has driven me crazy. And sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I had no idea where to put it. Is it because walkers are in different forms of decomposition? Some skulls are harder than others? You would think a napalmed walker would have a very crispy skull. Or is it just the incongruous nature of the show?
    When it comes to Zombie Logic 101, I tend to lump it all under the incongruous nature of a completely impossible real-world development. We have no real-world analogue to zombies, despite their popularity in horror culture over the last century. So with no actual science to form a base, the "rules" shift from series to series.

    You'd like some consistency within a given show/world. And I think we've seen that, for the most part. Older walkers are more frail and squishy. Newer walkers are closer to their former human selves. There are some inconsistent moments, and the reality is that those moments are drawn up merely for plot reasons. When you think about it, you've already accepted the implausible nature of a zombie apocalypse. How much further of a stretch is it to allow for Daryl to grab said zombie noggin and conk a crooked cop over the head with it? Your disbelief has already willingly been suspended. What does it matter if it's simply suspended a few feet higher?

    So I try not to concern myself with anything walker related. I'd have far bigger issues with other human-related plot holes and storyline mistakes (which I think there are far fewer the last two seasons compared to 2/3). But generally speaking, I treat the walkers like used cars. Age, environment, how the body was treated by the previous owner, etc. all factor in to a walker's condition. If you're a walker waist deep in a flooded store basement or in a pile of rotting corpses at the bottom of an elevator shaft, I expect you to be plenty squishy. If you're a walker fricasseed by napalm and left in the baking Atlanta sun for a while, it makes sense that you're a little crispy.

    Seems to hold true so far.

  3. Back To Top    #33
    Status
    Offline
    Simple. Blame Gimple. buttercup's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Paradise
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,020
    Threads
    17
    Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Points
    4,779
    Level
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMorph View Post
    When it comes to Zombie Logic 101, I tend to lump it all under the incongruous nature of a completely impossible real-world development. We have no real-world analogue to zombies, despite their popularity in horror culture over the last century. So with no actual science to form a base, the "rules" shift from series to series.

    You'd like some consistency within a given show/world. And I think we've seen that, for the most part. Older walkers are more frail and squishy. Newer walkers are closer to their former human selves. There are some inconsistent moments, and the reality is that those moments are drawn up merely for plot reasons. When you think about it, you've already accepted the implausible nature of a zombie apocalypse. How much further of a stretch is it to allow for Daryl to grab said zombie noggin and conk a crooked cop over the head with it? Your disbelief has already willingly been suspended. What does it matter if it's simply suspended a few feet higher?

    So I try not to concern myself with anything walker related. I'd have far bigger issues with other human-related plot holes and storyline mistakes (which I think there are far fewer the last two seasons compared to 2/3). But generally speaking, I treat the walkers like used cars. Age, environment, how the body was treated by the previous owner, etc. all factor in to a walker's condition. If you're a walker waist deep in a flooded store basement or in a pile of rotting corpses at the bottom of an elevator shaft, I expect you to be plenty squishy. If you're a walker fricasseed by napalm and left in the baking Atlanta sun for a while, it makes sense that you're a little crispy.

    Seems to hold true so far.
    @EagleMorph, oh, honey, my disbelief is sky high!!! My friends, who are not Walking Dead fans, just roll their eyes when I preface everything with "I know it's the ZA but would this really happen?" because they know it's unbelievable to begin with and whatever I am going to ask is ridiculous. But they have no imagination. I was raised to imagine and it has made life so much better. And in a fantasy, any answer is good. Thanks for giving me your insight. I agree. Napalm walkers = crispy skulls. However, Daryl should have been bit about five times by that walker.

  4. Back To Top    #34
    Status
    Offline
    Lookout EagleMorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Occam's Razor
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    490
    Threads
    9
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Points
    663
    Level
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    @EagleMorph, oh, honey, my disbelief is sky high!!! My friends, who are not Walking Dead fans, just roll their eyes when I preface everything with "I know it's the ZA but would this really happen?" because they know it's unbelievable to begin with and whatever I am going to ask is ridiculous. But they have no imagination. I was raised to imagine and it has made life so much better. And in a fantasy, any answer is good. Thanks for giving me your insight. I agree. Napalm walkers = crispy skulls. However, Daryl should have been bit about five times by that walker.
    There was absolutely a part of me that expected him to lose a finger there (as an aside, are fingers the walker equivalent of french fries? Or cheese sticks? Food for thought...)

    I think what's crucial in these unbelievable/implausible situations is for each viewer to sort of rationalize the scenes with their own imaginations. Since we all have different educations, backgrounds and mindsets, it actually prompts further discussion. How you accept or rationalize a walker head turned sledgehammer might be different than how I accept it.

    Comics and fantasy worlds have utilized that tool for years, especially in regards to superheroes. Exhibit A - The Big Bang Theory on Superman's Laundry:


  5. Back To Top    #35
    Status
    Offline
    Governor meesha1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,785
    Threads
    525
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Points
    7,200
    Level
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTwerkingDead View Post
    I agree that additional exposition was not necessary in this case. While Consumed didn't actually show us the concrete resolution of Michonne/Daryl's scene and Noah's reveal, it did give the viewers enough information to connect the dots.

    What's maddening is the inconsistency with which the writing staff utilizes this technique. In the very same episode (Consumed) they showed us Carol leaving Terminus, discarding her walker outfit, and washing her face. A reasonably intelligent viewer already made that connection when she reunited with Rick and the group. There was no other activity in that scene; no emotional breakdown or anything else that told us more about Carol. It just confirmed that, yes, at some point she discarded her walker outfit.

    Sometimes they give us credit. Other times they beat us over the head.
    Yeah, the flashbacks in Consumed were really disappointing and wasted a good chunk of screen time that would have been better used to give Carol's character some actual development.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Exactly, there was nothing in that scene that was substantial or worth showing.
    If the writers truly wanted to be witty and give us a WTF moment they would have had Noah come out of the bushes and Michonne say "Who is this? Where is Carol?" have Daryl have a weird/sad/ scared, whatever look on his face and then have the episode end, THAT would have been much more dramatic, especially since we had no idea who Noah was at that point.
    Not only that, it would have been great segway into Slabtown where we find out who Noah is, then it would leave the view wondering OK,WTF? Where is Carol and why is Noah with Daryl, especially how Slabtown ends, it would have given us an even better mystery of the character swap and drive the viewer nuts until they found out, it would also tie the episodes together better.
    They did that by showing Carol being brought into the hospital at the end of Slabtown. That worked better because it created some mystery for viewers to wonder and speculate about for Consumed. You don't want to reveal everything immediately because that would remove all of the suspense.

    Slabtown revealed that Noah escaped as well so viewers could speculate about the possibility of Daryl finding Noah and still wonder how Carol got injured and taken to the hospital. Consumed ties that together so Crossed could focus on the actual rescue and Beth trying to keep Carol alive.

  6. Back To Top    #36
    Status
    Offline
    Walker Bait Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Plant City, Fl
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,069
    Threads
    95
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Points
    2,858
    Level
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    Yeah, the flashbacks in Consumed were really disappointing and wasted a good chunk of screen time that would have been better used to give Carol's character some actual development.

    - - - Updated - - -



    They did that by showing Carol being brought into the hospital at the end of Slabtown. That worked better because it created some mystery for viewers to wonder and speculate about for Consumed. You don't want to reveal everything immediately because that would remove all of the suspense.

    Slabtown revealed that Noah escaped as well so viewers could speculate about the possibility of Daryl finding Noah and still wonder how Carol got injured and taken to the hospital. Consumed ties that together so Crossed could focus on the actual rescue and Beth trying to keep Carol alive.
    I disagree

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Related Topics

  1. Ricks home town......... Confused!
    By Popcornflick in forum Rick
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM
  2. Rumor: Daryl & .Andrea...in the truck?
    By RandomUsername in forum Season Three
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2013, 05:29 AM
  3. Why didn't Andrea take the Gov's truck?
    By MrImportant in forum Prey
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: March 19th, 2013, 09:06 AM
  4. Glenn and the truck walker in episode 9
    By dc4340 in forum Glenn
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 15th, 2013, 03:28 PM

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.