Forgot your username?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
  1. Back To Top    #111
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I think they wanted us to 'validate' her death more than many people did.

In reality I'm not sure who didn't see it coming, everyone was predicting the death it was just how. Unfortunately, the how was absolutely ridiculous. The entire thing felt like oh, crap, someone hasn't died in this MSF. Which of these characters will further Daryl's man-pain the most and make people actually like Maggie again (because she the writers knew people had really gone off her back end of S4 and beginning of S5). Bingo: give Beth a ridiculous way to die, whether there was a validation to it or not it was stupid. I would have just preferred her to get bit. It felt like a poor ending, an aside, and even though it didn't need to be a huge thing it seemed the stupidest way they could have done it and really removed my faith in the writers- I hope a death that has been, basically, confirmed, in this latter half of the season will be a lot better.

2. Back To Top    #112
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Level
    @Malli1 SG didn't want Beth to die as a "background" character. He wanted the audience to know her more, so the audience would be effected by her death, and understand the groups loss more come 5b. That's why the hospital arc was created. Also Beth's death has been planned since S4 but it was decided against at that time as Hershel's character would've gotten dark and depressive.

I defiently don't think Beth was suicidal, and I don't think she intended Dawn to kill her. What I beleive Beth wanted to achieve was to make Dawn look weak in front of everyone. The only time Dawn showed weakness it was infront of Beth, at the end Dawn was all imposing and authoritative again and Beth wanted to expose the 'weaker' person she showed Beth. Guess the ZA honed Dawn's lightning fast reflexes...

3. Back To Top    #113
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomhead View Post
    @Malli1 SG didn't want Beth to die as a "background" character. He wanted the audience to know her more, so the audience would be effected by her death, and understand the groups loss more come 5b. That's why the hospital arc was created. Also Beth's death has been planned since S4 but it was decided against at that time as Hershel's character would've gotten dark and depressive.

I defiently don't think Beth was suicidal, and I don't think she intended Dawn to kill her. What I beleive Beth wanted to achieve was to make Dawn look weak in front of everyone. The only time Dawn showed weakness it was infront of Beth, at the end Dawn was all imposing and authoritative again and Beth wanted to expose the 'weaker' person she showed Beth. Guess the ZA honed Dawn's lightning fast reflexes...
    Oh I know, the whole point is to build a character up so their death affects us more. It would have affected me more if it was less daft. I agree it was for Beth to make her look bad, and it backfired, but the whole thing felt, for me, rushed and stupid- (as stupid as you can call something in a TV show about zombies :P)

4. Back To Top    #114
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Malli1 View Post
    Oh I know, the whole point is to build a character up so their death affects us more. It would have affected me more if it was less daft. I agree it was for Beth to make her look bad, and it backfired, but the whole thing felt, for me, rushed and stupid- (as stupid as you can call something in a TV show about zombies :P)
    It was just done so poorly. I'm in agreement with whomever said the production from season 1-2 really drew u in with a movie quality. Now, it's super corny sometimes (Beth's death scene, rapey cop lollipop, dawn slapping Beth......all were so damned corny I laughed at because it was so stupid).

I am starting to draw the conclusion that the way the show 'feels' now, I have to just think of it as a corny tv version of a comic book. Like, now I just don't even expect much from the show runners anymore. Starting to think of them same as Beth. Had a real opportunity come their way when the show took off but simply lack the depth to rise to the occasion, sadly.

5. Back To Top    #115
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    I'm just glad she's dead. They could have had her fall out of a window at the hospital and it wouldn't have bothered me. I ignore all Beth centric episodes when I go to rewatch anyways.

6. Back To Top    #116
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    Stupid idea to kill her, and a very stupid way to kill her.

7. Back To Top    #117
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    Wait! Beth fans? What Beth fans? It's common knowledge Beth didn't have any fans prior 412. I guess you are referring to the Barfylers, those are the only Beth fans that exist.

Whether her death was ridiculous or not, I'm pleased she's gone. Now, we only have to wait for the Barfylers to leave the fandom, so everything can go back to normal and happiness will ensue.
    Last edited by Oleka; January 15th, 2015 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Because I'm free to do so

8. Back To Top    #118
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Level
    To me Beth was just a back ground character until season 4 B and 5 A, I really never even thought about her much. When she was killed in in season 5 A I had more sympathy for Merle's death than Beth's. I still wish Merle was alive, now he was one interesting character.

9. Back To Top    #119
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    My apologies if this is a double post but my internet crapped out when I hit post reply.

I really liked Beth since she was introduced in Season 2. I thought it was an interesting parallel with Carl growing up in the new world to show a girl growing up in the ZA. I know that all of our characters are going to die at some point so I really didn't have a problem that they killed off Beth... it was just HOW they killed off Beth that pissed me off.

The hospital storyline could've been really interesting but it turned into the search for Sophia 2.0 and I honestly would've been more surprised if Beth made it out alive.

I think that the show could've benefitted from swapping the deaths of Tyreese and Beth. I mean think about it, Martin pretty much told Tyreese that he was too soft when it came to people and that people would be the death of him. SO in my mind it would make more sense that Dawn's misfire didn't hit Beth but Tyreese who was standing behind her with the group. It would be especially fitting because he was the one that suggested the more humane approach to the rescue. Then have Beth unexpectedly get ambushed by Noah's brother(s).

I personally think that the scene they had could've worked if Dawn mouthed off a little more and Beth stabbed her in an area that was vital but could be repaired. That way Dawn could've lived long enough to know that her people didn't respect her at all. And don't get me started on the super quick draw powers that Dawn seemed to have. I'm not going to claim to be an expert but I don't think it's possible to crack off that shot when you're gun is holstered right before you're stabbed. I would've been okay with it had Beth been shot in the stomach or chest.

Hell I think it would've been better for her to not have made it out of the funeral home at all.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112