Forgot your username?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #61
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    No. Beth was always going to die in season 5. EK is the weakest actress on the show and SG wanted to mostly do something with the character before she died so her death would have a reaction. If Beth hadn't been paired up with Daryl last year most fans wouldn't have blinked at the death, but due to Daryl being the object of a lot of female / males fans it worked because a lot of shippers used Beth as a vessel for they fantasies.
    Last edited by whitestar1; December 7th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.

2. Back To Top    #62
    Status
    I need you by my side. Poison Ivy's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Level
    It's been obvious that Beth's death was going to happen since Season 4. Bump a red-shirt up to main cast, give her a storyline and try to make people care about the character. Then kill her off so they can have a big MSF-death and still say they kill the main characters while keeping the main characters the audience actually cares about. I don't think Beth and Daryl's few short bonding days had anything to do with her death because outside of a few delusional kids no one recognises the relationship between Beth and Daryl as anything more than a friendship.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Level
    From the beginning I don't think there was ever a long term plan for Beth and how to best use and develop her character. In season 4, it was like tptb remembered that she was there and finally decided to give her some material with the sole intent of killing her off for Maggie and Daryl's development.

4. Back To Top    #64
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GYA37 View Post
    The fact that most of the post are from people who hate Beth or Bethyl..speaks loudly about who spent the most time in here...whether it be 3 days or not...
    of course they would say the ship killed Beth, whether it's true or not
    May I suggest actually reading the posts in this thread? Many of us who have said Bethyl did NOT kill Beth.

5. Back To Top    #65
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think that Bethyl did it. Beth's story arc was complete. They managed to redeem her from the 'houseplant' to a strong teenage female - rare on TV, without taking the conventional cliqued story route (bad boyfriends, teenage rebellion, angst, blah blah..). I didn't ever get the vibe that Beth & Daryl were romantically linked, or that it was the direction TPTB were taking their pairing.

Love what they did with Beth. She wasn't meant to progress further; not all the characters will survive, and Beth just seemed a good candidate for death in S5. She had a good run and grew as a person the more alone she was. I am proud of our little farm girl. But I feel she ran her course.

6. Back To Top    #66
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GYA37 View Post
    The fact that most of the post are from people who hate Beth or Bethyl..speaks loudly about who spent the most time in here...whether it be 3 days or not...
    of course they would say the ship killed Beth, whether it's true or not
    As we've said many, many times already, in multiple threads. Most people who hated Bethyl did not hate Beth.

That said, if you take the time to read the original post, you'll see that it's not the point of this thread.

7. Back To Top    #67
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think it killed Beth, I thought since last year that the intent was to pair her with Daryl to draw attention to the character, make people like her so her death would be impactful. Now Bethyl may have impacted the means of her death (the head shot to leave no doubt) because some of that ship was just out of control. So I think THAT part might have impacted how she died.

8. Back To Top    #68
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think Bethyl had anything to do with Beth's death. I doubt anything fandom does (outside of merchandising) influences show choices.

If the character's face isn't plastered all over toys, cups, t-shirts, and posters, TPTB have complete creative freedom. Killing off a major character like Beth is a win win. It was great for ratings and demonstrated how the show has emotionally connected with the show (which translates to higher fees for advertising next season). AND - AMC didn't lose merchandising revenue.

9. Back To Top    #69
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Level
    Did Bethyl kill Beth? I am going to say NO, since Bethyl also couldn't save Beth so....Might shock people must major networks and producers, writers, ect. have millions of dollars into a show and plan out character acrs. They are not sitting around thinking what will and wont make fans happy or sad. They want to make money, and to make money main characters dying brings in ratings and site hits, lots of talk about the show (and that seems to have worked this time out real well for them). She was dead the minute she got more then 2 lines and episode. Lines = death its been foreshadowed in the show before.

10. Back To Top    #70
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplerage View Post
    She was dead the minute she got more then 2 lines and episode. Lines = death its been foreshadowed in the show before.
    Seems so. I've been talking to many people in real life about the MSF and most of them assumed Beth was going to die this season after being given her own episode. Several commented that, after the scene where Michonne told Maggie Beth was alive, they figured Beth wouldn't survive the episode.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast