Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by famouslastwords View Post
    ...Plus it's been a while since Maggie/LC got anything good. It's a great opportunity and consistent with the comics. That's why Beth died.
    I know that in the comics, Maggie loses her whole family, so maybe you're right. Maybe it was planned all along, but a part of me is not entirely convinced that the Bethyl shipping did not contribute to Beth's death. Although I do think that Beth was never meant to be a long-term character. They did just give her a story just before killing her. Something they often do before killing a character. Flesh them out a little so we'll be more devasted by their death.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
    I know that in the comics, Maggie loses her whole family, so maybe you're right. Maybe it was planned all along, but a part of me is not entirely convinced that the Bethyl shipping did not contribute to Beth's death. Although I do think that Beth was never meant to be a long-term character. They did just give her a story just before killing her. Something they often do before killing a character. Flesh them out a little so we'll be more devasted by their death.
    After seeing the reaction Maggie had and seeing her face seeing Beth's dead body I totally get where they were going with that one. But the main thing was getting her to be more liked before killing her off. That was the plan all along IMO.

The shipping just came to be after Alone. I mean there was a bit before but it wasn't as strong. So I think SG had it all planned before that. Cause when he was talking about 30 Days he said he knew the lines and scenes would all be relevant for the rest of the season etc. I believe he had a bit of a idea of season5 by the time MSF of season4 happened. He made the effort to take a background character and give her something,a bit of a fanbase.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Dont Call it a Comeback blackjackandcoke88's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Level
    Maybe? I think they just want to do Maggie's storyline from the comics and for that, all her family had to go. Unfortunately, Beth was all that was left of it, so she had to go. Plus to anyone paying attention, it was pretty clear from the way she was talking at the end of 'Still' that they were starting to build her up to kill her off. Gimple didn't need to tell us that, it was pretty easy to tell. She was the most expendable character at this point in the story.

I know it wasn't MMB that got Beth killed off, that's for goddamn sure.
    Last edited by blackjackandcoke88; December 3rd, 2014 at 10:48 PM.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)
    Level
    So much to say so i will be back in a few to give my opinion.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status
    Would You Kindly? hello-sweetie's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think Beth was ever intended to be a very important character or live very long so the fact that she was played by someone 10+ years older probably wasn't seen as a big deal when casting EK. When they introduced Beth she had redshirt written all over and she contributed nothing to the story before 4B. Babysitting, sitting on the sidelines, not participating when everyone was learning to shoot and defend themselves - it's like they were setting her up to die much earlier than she did. She was just there for a while to be a nanny and a human jukebox.

I do appreciate what she did for Daryl's growth in 4B and did enjoy her growth this season but it would have been interesting to see an age-appropriate actress play the role so no one could entertain the notion of romance. The shipping probably would have existed in some extent but it wouldn't have run so rampant - after all, there were crazies who shipped Luna Lovegood and Sirius Black back in the day.

Pairing Beth with the AMC cash cow during 4B elevated her importance to the point where we'd care when she got taken, and giving her so much screentime this season made us care when she was killed (and set up Maggie's next steps). I don't think shipping had much to do with the how or why in her death but part of me likes to think the lack of an emotional reunion between Daryl and Beth was a deliberate decision to quell the shipping frenzy.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Level
    I think that there was an intention to kill Beth ever since she started getting lines. People who didn't see that and decided to just ship her with some redneck, well I guess you need to reevaluate your thought process and mental state.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hello-sweetie View Post
    ...after all, there were crazies who shipped Luna Lovegood and Sirius Black back in the day...
    I don't know who Luna Lovegood (What a name!) and Sirius Black are and I'm almost afraid to ask.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Level
    I think Beth's death was an element of the story from the beginning. As many of us predicted, she was another lost girl -- a Sophia redux -- making her death reasonably likely from the moment she disappeared, especially given the deliberate Sophia mentions in season 4, including in Still, when it became apparent that Sophia was still a sore spot for Daryl. This also works, too, I think, with where various characters needed to be at in 5B. I think they were ALL meant to be a little broken down, and Beth's SURVIVING wouldn't have accomplished that. As mentioned above, Beth HAD to die for Maggie to get any semblance of her GN story.

I do think that Bethyl might have contributed to SG's giving Beth a final scene that firmly placed her in the kids' camp, not only with the Sophia barn scene's being echoed (I suspect he'd have done that regardless, given that she was Sophia 2.0) but with the various characters' reactions to the live reunion (e.g. Rick's paternal response, Daryl's avuncular/brotherly pat, Carol's hand hold as the lead-in), Beth's tight hug of her age-matched peer immediately prior to her death, and the conditions around her death, particularly her impulsive act's contributing to her accidentally being shot. Even that, though, could be a stretch because Beth was ALWAYS written as a teen -- one of the kids -- regardless (even acting impulsively by flouncing off in the woods in Still and almost getting killed), and I think there was, through her very quick and unexpected death, a deliberate tie-in to Rick and Carl's story, in addition to those of Daryl and Carol and the other lost girls.

The (age-matched peer) Noah hug? I could buy there was a message in that -- just as there was in Daryl's grabbing (age-matched peer) Carol first and barely glancing at Beth. The death in and of itself? Nothing to do with Bethyl, which I honestly think SG would, had he intended Beth to live, simply have ignored / deliberately written into the ground via the characters' behaviour and social interactions, just as he did as a lead-in to Beth's death.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklyunicorn View Post
    I don't think it had to do with Bethyl, I think they just wanted to kill a main character, and that is why she started getting more screen time so that she could be considered one.
    I think it was more about killing two birds with one stone. As you say, they needed to kill a main character without really killing a main character. The only option to accomplish that was to elevate a secondary character to main status with increased screen time. They can then say, see, no one is safe (though no one really believes that).

It also accomplished another goal: answering criticism in the media. When TWD was pummeled over the treatment of women (i.e Lori and Andrea), they started writing better storylines for some of the women. When they were criticized about the absence of minorities, they brought more non white actors/characters into the fold. Then there was the persistent media cries of giving characters too little development before killing them off. Beth had the longest tenure of any undeveloped character. They really didn't have a choice but develop her if they wanted to avoid more negative reviews.

I really don't think Bethyl factored into it at all. It is largely an internet construct, and internet fans comprise an extremely small percentage of the overall viewing audience.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status
    Simple. Blame Gimple. buttercup's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Level
    I think Bethyl just confirmed in the minds of tptb that killing Beth was the right thing to do. She was expendable from the very beginning. Maybe if her acting had been astounding, they MIGHT have reconsidered but since there was never any thought of Bethyl, that irritation by a vocal few just made them pull the trigger, so to speak. And she will not be resurrected. Ever.

Thanks, @Sonia for raising this point.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast