Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #41
    Status
    CARYL IS HERE!! Hippyheartnsoul's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Level
    But bethyl (OT: or Caryl for the record!!!) had 0% influence in TPTB offing Beth.
    @GinnysPookie Love the sig. Daryl's cry face is FTW. As mean as that sounds....[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I love Festerguts work!

And on topic, I don't think the ship caused Beth to be killed off (I jumped the gun on my feels) I agree it was planned for awhile to leave Maggie as the last Greene and open up
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I just love that gif!

2. Back To Top    #42
    Status
    Rock Your Own World! Element Girl's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    I think SG was tired of the character and didn't want to write for character any more. I think it was planned in season 4, but they wanted to make it bigger so they gave her more story. I do think tptb was annoyed with Bethyl mess. I think they are writing a show about the end of the world and not a romance show. I think shipping when it becomes frenzied as was some local Bethylers did indeed piss them off and may have just confirmed their plan to kill her character.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Level
    No.
    EK and SG have both said that he was planning Beth's death since S4, way before this Bethyl thing really had a chance to get kickstarted and turn the fandom into a hovel. If he had not been planning already to kill her, I could very well have seen him doing so for the sake of the fandom.
    Sadly, I think Beth has been used as a glorified plot device, whilst also getting a little development; however the way this has been rushed and shoved in our faces has made it painfully obvious that killing her off was the intention. It's sad, because had Beth been given this much attention, or at least had the attention spread over the seasons, she would probably be a much more well rounded character, and I'd probably be less inclined to think of her as a glorified redshirt. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her (most of her fanbase I do though sorry), but I've just never connected to her and I think that SG knew that with the move to ASZ in 5b, plus the addition of new characters, she would most likely be pushed back to being baby sitter again. Think about it, if she'd been rescued alive it's likely Maggie and everyone would then be overprotective and mollycoddle her still (she is still a kid remember).....and she'd be back on babysitting/sister duties.
    I do think she deserved a better death though. That ending was total shit and I feel bad for her fans because she at least deserved to see her sister again, or have some final words to tell everyone she loved them. I do wonder whether that was a change made on part of TPTB to teach the fans a lesson about Bethyl and show that this show is not made of rainbows...IT'S BRUTAL.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    Not really. As Gimple stated she was being written to make her exit since season 4. I also wonder if her age may have played a role. She's a 29-30 yr old actress playing an 18 yr old. Kind of like ML with her hitting puberty, EK IS gonna look young for so long. I would love to learn EK's secret, she looks fantastic! Maybe I'm wrong with that but it wouldn't suprise me.

Also since they're leaning closer to the comics it would play into Maggie having lost her entire family. This was a way to get that story line going.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Casting a teen in the role of Beth would have been a smarter choice for the character. I agree with @Lara21, teens should fill teen roles to prevent the inappropriate sexualization of the teen. We shouldn't be looking at teens as appropriate partners for adults-end of story.

I don't think Bethyl killed Beth. This is an ongoing story, groundwork needs to be laid and other sub-stories that are going to be affected also need to be paced and matched for the desired impact, even if this needs to occur in a prior season as is the case with Beth's story. SG said he knew Beth would die in S4 and he and the writers developed the character, her actions and interactions to this end. We always have to look at the whole picture, focusing on Bethyl, which only began in 4b, isolated the characters and the plot and led to a great deal of misconception among those that refused to broaden their scope of understanding.

Take Bethyl out of Beth's story and it becomes very easy to see Beth as a teen and her progression and growth, including her time with Daryl, clearly becomes that of a teenager growing up under exceedingly difficult circumstances and her death becomes well suited to her development. She made a terrible choice that led to her death, much the same way other teens have done in RL. If you consider how people feel when a child or teenager dies, there is shock, incredible sadness, and the inability to understand why a person with so much ahead of them died. That's exactly how tptb want us and the other characters to feel. TPTB want the survivors to question why it is they get to go on when someone so young and so kind and sweet died so needlessly; to feel hopeless. So when people say Beth is a plot device they are right, in a sense, characters and plot should have a symbiotic relationship and in this case, I think they did.
    Her death is placing the others where the story needs them to be. Beth got fleshed out, yes, she died, but she was still able to help move the story forward by becoming a catalyst for future actions, sub-stories and character development.

If Bethyl killed anything, it was the chance to understand and experience Beth's story for what it was. Bethyl did a hatchet job on Beth. I'm not forgetting that it was trolled, mostly by EK. I find her tears a little too late now, because she was complicit in destroying her characters chance to be valued in her own right.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryGold View Post
    because she was complicit in destroying her characters chance to be valued in her own right.
    ^THIS

7. Back To Top    #47
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Level
    No, Bethyl didn't kill Beth. It was just her time to go, as it will be for all of our favorites sometime. Bethyl wouldn't have happened even if she had lived.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Level
    I saw I got quoted in this thread and I thought wtf? But I see now.

My two cents - no, it didn't kill Beth. This was always in the cards for her and it was really obvious. These guys aren't great at foreshadowing; it's more like beating you over the head with a brick. The extreme level of butthurt over this needs to ease now. No fans are owed anything. TPTB are going to tell the story they want to tell and their story is Beth does something impulsive and rash (like a teenager would) and gets killed. It's sad and tragic and be upset about it, but then be an adult and move on with your life because it's been 4 days and it's just a TV show.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Level
    The minute she had screen time with daryl last season I figured they were killing her off. it followed the walking dead red shirt formula, and hey, it was more than what t-dog got. I do wonder if the reason they didn't kill her off in 4b was to leave the door open to change their minds on her story (because really, the hospital arcs only purpose was to kill off beth) - in this respect I could see the Deth idea sealing the deal. No way were they going to open up their golden boy to accusations of being a teenage girl leering weirdo.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level
    Nope. Beth was a secondary character on the show. She was background material for a long time, brought forward to sing at campfires and make Hershel smile as he remembered happier times. She also had the primary responsibility of caretaking for Judith, which meant few lines. Once they gave her more expanded story in S. 4, it was obvious her lifeclock was changing colors (Logan's Run reference). It would blink when she arrived at the hospital arc, when she was given her own story. We all know that's when secondary characters are about to die. The writers on TWD are nothing if not consistent.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast