Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)

Did Bethyl kill Beth?

I've talked about it many times on this site before, I'm convinced that TPTB made a mistake when they didn't cast an actual teenager to play Beth and they've painted themselves in a corner. Considering that just 1 year has past in the ZA and Beth was 16 when we met her at the farm, they should have cast a 14 or 15 year old, that way the actress would just be 17 or 18 by now. So where am I going with this?

Here's my theory. Was it Gimple who said that season 4 was about the kids teaching the adults? That's the reason the groups were formed the way they were in 4B: Carl with Rick and Michonne; Judith and the girls with Carol and Tyreese; and Beth with Daryl. It's safe to say that Gimple didn't have love in mind when he paired Beth, a teenager, with Daryl, a middle-age man. A teenager who had just lost her boyfriend 4 days before, I might add. 4 days!!! So no. It's pretty obvious to most people that no romance was intended there.

But then, after Still and Alone, a few people started to imagine a romance between Daryl and Beth. Which could have been avoided if they only cast an actual teenager. For the sake of the argument, let's pretend that a 16 year old played Beth. Could you imagine people meeting her at Cons and saying to her "OMG! I hope that you and Daryl become a couple!"? The young actress would just be like "Dude! He's in is forties! Ewww!" That just wouldn't have happened.

So that unfortunate and unexpected situation created a problem for Gimple, which the easiest way to fix was by killing Beth. He did say in interview this week that he started thinking about Beth's faith last winter.

So what do you think? Do you think that by shipping Beth with Daryl, the Bethylers unexpectedly killed Beth?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Level
    I kind of feel beth was doomed to die from the start. She never had her own personality and story. Eventually the writers realized you can't just have this walking houseplant around forever and killed her off. I think EKs casting did affect this, had Beth been played by a more capable actress she could've garnered more fans even if given a shitty story.

Also, hiring someone in their late 20s to play a young teen is always weird. Beth was doomed unless they did a huge time jump. EK doesn't quite look 17/18 anymore.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    CARYL IS HERE!! Hippyheartnsoul's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Level

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think Bethyl killed Beth (I think she was doomed from the beginning as well), but I wonder if Bethyl had anything to do with the way she went out. It seemed a little redundant to be calling her a ward just before her death. Also, the decision that got her killed? Seems like it was kind of impulsive like a teenager might be. Curious if in 5b if her age will be mentioned. Like maybe Maggie or someone else will say something like "she was just a kid...it was too soon", or maybe Carol will say something like 'seeing that kid's brains splattered everywhere reminded me of when I shot another blonde kiddo through the brain'.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    Absolutely.....was just thinking this myself last few days......bethyl killed Beth........ helped by ek and nr trolling

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Sonia, I think you just hit the nail on the head! Totally agree with what you're saying. I believe the shippers did contribute to this one.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Level
    Not according to Emily Kinney herself. She said Scott Gimple told her Beth's death was planned since season4. So way before Bethyl was a thing. Plus TPTB never talked to her about doing Bethyl she took her own conclusions.

So I stick to my theory that they build Beth up just to kill her so they could have a MSF death and they wouldn't have to kill other characters. I didn't think it was bad death at all or "sudden" to me all signs were pointing to it and I've been saying it since Still aired.

They didnt want to kill yet another redshirt,specially since she was around for a while. So they developed her a bit before killing her off.

Plus it's been a while since Maggie/LC got anything good. It's a great opportunity and consistent with the comics. That's why Beth died.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by famouslastwords View Post
    Not according to Emily Kinney herself. She said Scott Gimple told her Beth's death was planned since season4. So way before Bethyl was a thing. Plus TPTB never talked to her about doing Bethyl she took her own conclusions.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't necessarily think it had anything to do with the ship.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Problem Child walkingdead_freak's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Level
    I think Beth was killed for a reason to develop Maggie and Daryl characters . Daryl acted Like a Brother to Beth,not a romantic way. And he will totally feel the guilt of her death cos she was with him and he told her to go outside and she got kidnapped and eventually died. And Maggie will probably feel guilt over not believing Beth was alive and grieve over the loss of Beth and her dad .

I doubt Bethyl killed Beth. Too me Beth was a character there just to further develop other characters and her death will add to Maggie And Daryl's characters

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think it had to do with Bethyl, I think they just wanted to kill a main character, and that is why she started getting more screen time so that she could be considered one. The other main characters are way more interesting than her and they didn't wanna have to kill any of them. But it'd be hilarious if it actually was because of Bethyl.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast