Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Level

Interesting Tidbit About Rick/Michonne/Jessie and Lori.....

I saw this on Tumblr and thought you would enjoy this. It's a long read, and I can't take credit for writing it (although I wish I did!)

Anyway, enjoy......

-----------------------------------

I don’t think she’s necessarily a replacement, but the parallels are there for a reason. Lori is at the core of what Rick defines as “love.” As far as we can tell, he’s never been in love with another woman, and he and Lori had been together for a long time. So, love to Rick? Is Lori.
    When Rick meets Jessie, he sees a woman with some vague resemblances to his dead wife (the plaid, the welcoming attitude) and also his pre-ZA life (the gift basket of cleaning supplies, etc.).
    Jessie became an opportunity for Rick to “put it back together.”
    While Rick was still stuck in “survival mode” (wanting to usurp Deanna, being tense at parties), his mind was subconsciously trying to escape to this fantasy world of being able to live in the past. Like you said, @southkatt, Jessie embodies the world unspoiled by the horror.
    I picture it like Rick’s got a Lori-shaped hole in his brain, and he sees enough of a similarity to Jessie that he’s trying to force her to fit (like a puzzle piece) – but Jessie’s different enough it’s causing Rick’s mind to reject her.
    Rick’s rejection of Jessie has come in stages. I think the most telling have been the kiss and the window scene in “Start to Finish”.
    In “Now”, Rick goes to Jessie in her garage (once again, alone, secluded, in the dark). After Jessie implores Rick to “Tell me there’s more,” Rick dives in for a kiss (that parallels Rick’s kiss with a hallucination of Lori in “Home”). I think the reason is that Jessie’s line “Tell me there’s more” was something eerily reminiscent of something Lori would say.
    Lori: “To hell with the guns. Shane is right. Merle Dixon? He’s not worth one of your lives, even with guns thrown in. Tell me. Make me understand.” (1.03)
    Lori: “Well, look at their faces. Look at mine. We’re all terrified. If one of us suggested, based on a hunch, that we head toward that city, you’d have no part of it. Tell me something with certainty.”
    Rick: “I love you. That’s all I got.” (1.05)
    Lori: “So he can run and run and run and run and then even if he survives he ends up… he ends up just another animal who doesn’t know anything except survival? If he… if he dies tonight, it ends for him. Tell me why it would be better another way.”
    […]
    Rick: “You really think it would be better if Carl… if we just gave up?”
    Lori: “Tell me why it would be better the other way.” (2.03)
    However, after this kiss, there was no tearing away of clothes. They didn’t sleep together. The next morning, Rick acts as though Jessie doesn’t even exist. They don’t interact, when Rick is making his escape plans with Michonne on the porch, he doesn’t mention Jessie or her kids.
    The kiss didn’t click. It didn’t affect Rick on any deeper level. It didn’t change anything.
    In “Start to Finish”, at the window (which notice is blocking out the sunlight), Jessie pulls another Lori move – the hand caress on the face. When the hallucination of Lori did this in “Home”, Rick’s eyes closed. He melted into her touch. Here? Rick’s eyes look haunted, he doesn’t melt, he doesn’t respond to her touch at all. Jessie seems to sense Rick’s frostiness; she drops her hand and looks to the floor. Rick’s ring finger twitches, and he looks at it. It’s as though his mind was thinking, “This isn’t Lori. This isn’t working. Why isn’t it working?”
    Rick’s final rejection of Jessie will come in “No Way Out”. Jessie will no longer be a resemblance of Lori. While Lori gave her life for her child, Jessie will try to drag Lori’s children to the grave.
    I do believe there’s a reason Maggie told Rick that Judith looked more like Lori every day. It’s because Rick needs to remember that Lori will always live on inside his kids. He’s looking for Lori in the wrong place (Jessie), and that will almost cost his kids their lives.
    In that tense, dramatic moment, Rick will literally cut Jessie out of his life and out of his mind. From that moment on, he’s ready to move forward. (And we know Rick stops wearing his ring after 6.09).
    I think, in the end, Jessie will have been nothing but a learning experience for Rick (as horrible as that is). As Rick is scarred by the loss of Lori (and having only ever loved Lori), I think learning to love again would realistically be a challenge for him. So Rick experiments with Jessie, but this experiment fails. The discovery teaches Rick that love isn’t cookie-cutter. It doesn’t fit a mold.
    Rick will realize he loves Michonne. He has for a long time. It’s just going to take making that connection between her and “love” (which I believe Rick’s brain will decide that definition needs re-defining after the Jessie debacle).
    As to why Rick hasn’t made that connection yet? I see Lori and Michonne as binary oppositions in some ways. Not that they’re totally dissimilar, but they’re very different in Rick’s mind.
    Lori is from his past, from the pre-ZA. She embodies some more of the traditional Southern values no doubt instilled in him as a youth (housewife in need of a manly man provider).
    Michonne is his present, from this post-ZA world. She’s not traditional – she’s a woman who wields a sword, has saved his life and his children’s lives. She wandered alone, meaning she’s independent (she doesn’t *need* a manly man provider).
    Michonne has actually be a better fit for Rick all along. Not to slam Lori or her relationship with Rick at all, but it is a fact their marriage was falling apart before the ZA in ways that were just snowballing. In the ways Lori hasn’t been the best match for Rick, Michonne fits the bill.
    Lori complained that Rick didn’t communicate, yet Michonne doesn’t need Rick to tell her what’s going on in his brain. Rick and Michonne operate on the same wave-length. “You okay?” “Yeah.” “I’m okay.” “I know.” “How?” “Because I’m okay too.” They can communicate through silent looks (well, sometimes, poor Aaron lol). It’s almost psychic.
    Lori rejects the brutal-side of Rick. When Rick admits to Lori he killed Shane, and even more darkly, that he wanted Shane dead, he reaches out to her for comfort only for her to pull away. Compared to Michonne who saw Rick rip out a man’s throat with his teeth, she was completely okay with this side of Rick – because she’s been there too.
    Rick constantly sought validation with Lori for his decisions; while Lori said she supported him, it was clear she didn’t on a lot of his calls. When Rick made decisions with Lori, it was him making the decisions, and the burden of responsibility landed on his shoulders. Contrast to Michonne, who tells Rick in “Conquer” that she’s essentially ride or die, and that they’ll find a way together. Michonne offers to share complete responsibility with Rick. She trusts him.
    Even more than that? Michonne sometimes tells Rick what they’re going to do. As we all know through whipped Rick memes, this is like catnip to him. I secretly do think Rick likes being ordered around, because it gives his mind a rest. When Michonne takes the reigns? Rick is like “oh thank god let me love you.” Of course, Rick probably feels conflicted about how jazzed being bossed makes him feel since it contradicts all those old world southern values where the man is supposed to wear the pants – but I think Rick has never subscribed to that ideology much anyway.
    Anyhow, this has gone on long enough. There’s so much to talk about with regards to the Jessie/Rick versus Lori/Rick versus Michonne/Rick dynamic. It’ll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    The Succubus aka "The Beast" Empress's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Level
    The only thing I’d disagree with here is Michonne being a better fit for Rick all along, over Lori. That’s a matter of opinion of course, but I’d say not so. They had their issues like every other married couple, and being thrust into this madness only magnified that, but I believe if she had lived, they would have worked out their problems and moved forward as a couple, which is part of why her death was so monumental and tragic, there was great potential for proper reconciliation. They were on the cusp of it before she gave her life for her child, and Rick’s subsequent break down only solidified how important, even necessary she was to his sanity, as he carries this loss with him still, which is why we’ve had to suffer the Andersons in the first place. I believe Lori would have grown, like the rest of the group, she was a fighter when she needed to be.

The Jessie/Lori parallels were pretty obvious from the beginning to those of us looking for reason and rhyme to this nonsense, but the jury’s still out on whether the bulk of the GA gets the message. I figure when it’s all said and done, unless Rick actually verbalizes this proxy behaviour in so many words, the general public will just see it as Rick liking this pretty woman, but choosing his sons life over hers because duh, and then starting something with Michonne when the time is right because the time is right. It’s possible Richonne won’t happen, but it’s highly likely that it will. Either way, I’d just like to see sane-ish Rick back, and maybe keep him there for a little bit longer. Seems he’s always falling off the wagon, get’s a bit dreary after a while.

Anyways, solid post, thanks for sharing.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Level
    Soooooooo this is getting moved to relationships, but it is an interesting read. I'm curious who wrote it though as the writing style seems familiar.

As far as the Jessie/Lori parallels, the comparisons are there and it makes sense, but it's still up in the air. If Rick indeed sees Lori in Jessie then this is something that should have been made clear, especially since we are at the end of the relationship. If the writers don't make it clear, it will always be something that people think with no evidence to back it up.

Now to play devils advocate, this is something that has been on my mind for a few days. What if the writers' purpose was to make TV Jessie a mix between GN Jessie and GN Andrea? TV Jessie gets the abusive relationship and dead husband but she is also stronger and the case could be (and has been) made that she and Rick have a deep and loving relationship. Maybe the writers' intentions was to portray Rick/Jessie's relationship as growing deeper and at the beginning of love before she dies because they have no intentions of TV Rick having an Andrea; it being written this way, Rick gets his fling and the love of his life all rolled into one. I wonder

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level
    Jessie/Andrea nope, don't see it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Level
    Soooooooo this is getting moved to relationships, but it is an interesting read. I'm curious who wrote it though as the writing style seems familiar.

As far as the Jessie/Lori parallels, the comparisons are there and it makes sense, but it's still up in the air. If Rick indeed sees Lori in Jessie then this is something that should have been made clear, especially since we are at the end of the relationship. If the writers don't make it clear, it will always be something that people think with no evidence to back it up.

Now to play devils advocate, this is something that has been on my mind for a few days. What if the writers' purpose was to make TV Jessie a mix between GN Jessie and GN Andrea? TV Jessie gets the abusive relationship and dead husband but she is also stronger and the case could be (and has been) made that she and Rick have a deep and loving relationship. Maybe the writers' intentions was to portray Rick/Jessie's relationship as growing deeper and at the beginning of love before she dies because they have no intentions of TV Rick having an Andrea; it being written this way, Rick gets his fling and the love of his life all rolled into one. I wonder
    Then the writers failed. Because the majority of people aren't thinking that she's this deep love for him or they're not even caring about this little fling enough to think about it much (most of the GA still doesn't even remember Jessie's name - it's true); it'll especially be hard to convince people that she was this deep love for Rick once he cuts her arm off. And after Jessie's death, is Rick just supposed to accept that he can never love again? I don't think so. That's not a very complete story for Rick. If they don't want Rick to get fulfillment in that part of his life, I guess they'd leave him single. But if they want him happy in every aspect of his life before Negan comes to fuck shit up and destroy everything then I don't think single Rick is going to be a permanent thing.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    This was beautiful. I agree with literally everything here. All signs point to Jessie being Lori. Which is why Rick was so attached to her and attracted to her. He wanted this again. All of it. with Lori. I mean Jessie.

I really hope the writers make a nod to this or SOMETHING. For writing to be good, nothing should be immediately taken at face value. Like, omg so deep in love Jessie and Rick 5eva.

Like no. That's not how this works. You don't kill a woman's husband and then happily ever after. I really hope Rick tells Michonne about Jessie and her relation to Lori but I'm not going to hold my breath.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Level
    Good Read! Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree with a lot of this, but not the whole Michonne being better than Lori for Rick thing, that always rubbed me the wrong way in the fandom. It doesn't need to be a competition, both relationships will work at different times.

Like @NostraKwamus I'm not holding my breath for Rick acknowledging Jessie as a Lori proxy either. I think the scenes are strong enough on their own, so I doubt he vocalizes it. Would love if he did though.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1394 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by day dreamer View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, but not the whole Michonne being better than Lori for Rick thing, that always rubbed me the wrong way in the fandom. It doesn't need to be a competition, both relationships will work at different times.

Like @NostraKwamus I'm not holding my breath for Rick acknowledging Jessie as a Lori proxy either. I think the scenes are strong enough on their own, so I doubt he vocalizes it. Would love if he did though.
    I don't think it's necessarily Michonne is better than Lori, but I think it could be said Rick has changed in a way that Michonne better suits his lifestyle as it is now than Lori would have (unless Lori had changed herself). We know Michonne wouldn't have been a good match for Rick either at one point. She was a seemingly upper-class woman living in an Atlanta apartment who liked fine dining, art, and theater. I doubt she'd look twice at a guy like Rick before her old self got scraped away by the apocalypse.

Like @Empress I think there's the possibility Lori and Rick could've mended their relationship, and I think their look at each other across the fence was meant to show there was always that chance, but their last interaction was pretty bitter. I don't think one hopeful look erases the eight months or so where Lori and Rick barely spoke or looked at each other. Lori had the possibility to adapt and change just like Rick though, and they could've become a better fit for each other with time.

I kind of see it like the Lori/Rick and Andrea/Rick in the comic though. Rick admitted recently in the comic that while he still loved Lori, and he'll always love her, Andrea and him work better together. I think if Rick and Michonne get together, it will be similar to that.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Level
    I think the dissolution of Rick and Lori's marriage was inevitable any way that things worked out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast