Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level

Prison observation

Rick says to Glenn as the resident prisoners come closer to their cell block, Glenn needs to be there if Herschel dies from his leg wound. Rick knowing to say this shows he knows more about being a leader than he lets on. If Herschel dies and Glenn isn't there, his bond with the Greene family weakens. Now, this doesn't mean much until we fast forward to Rick leaving Michonne behind with Gabriel, Carl, and Judith. Rick knows who needs to be where and when. This is speculation because I believe we only have these two examples of Rick actively and overtly assigning responsibilities. Glenn would have been useful to back up T-Dog, Daryl and himself -but Rick knew Herschel had to accept Glenn 100% and that was Glenn's moment. Turns out in practice Glenn being there was inconsequential, but the fact Rick said what he did is telling.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Level
    Interesting observation. Rick was a bit reluctant to lead, but he seems far more confident now, and comfortable telling people what they need to do. Yet, TPTB seem to be deliberately demonstrating that we are not returning to a Ricktatorship by showing that he considers opposing opinions (Leaving Terminus instead of returning to make sure all the termites were dead, Beth/Carol rescue). I think it's an important evolution where we find he (rightly or wrongly) trusts someone else's instincts even if they conflict with his own. A little growth for Rick. Hopefully there is much more to come in 5B.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Level
    Re: Prison Observation I had a different take on this. Rick told Glenn to be there because if Herschel woke up and had turned, somebody was going to have to kill him (him being Herschel). Maggie and Beth probably would not be able to (tho I do think Maggie could have if absolutely necessary). It does not take away from demonstrating Rick's leadership, it just makes him a more pragmatic leader.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    I getcha. I distinctly perceived Rick feeling he owed both Glenn for saving him in the tank, and Herschel for finally relenting and opening up his farm. Herschel lost his farm consequently. The duty he feels toward Carol is similar after feeling he needed to release her from the group only to have her go through hell and save them at Terminus.

Rick has this intangible where he cares but doesn't care. If you threaten those he loves, he will bite you in the neck. If you contribute to the group, he will feel beholden to honor you in some way. Somehow I couldn't imagine a more perfect form of leadership. The very honor he gives, brings life to those who ultimately specialize where he lacks knowledge or aptitude or even vision. The best leaders know how to get the right people around them, honor them, keep them alive and filled with a sense of duty. Recognition is the strongest and most pervasive leadership trait.

Does Rick himself need to have a set of survival skills? Of course he's got to be competent in some things. Ultimately, his gut feelings aren't all that bad. He doesn't have the intelligence and clockwork task mastering that say, the Termites had ......buuuut there's a reason for that. That set of ethics negates the overly "intelligent" choices. It's more of an adventure being with Rick, but life always is when you make attempts to live life as it was meant to be lived instead of just hiding in the dark. There will be people that cross you and make your road more difficult.