Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level

Rank the American Horror Story seasons

So season 4 is over now. Let's rank the season yeah? Provide explanations or whatever. At any time we can talk about the potentials for S5.

My ranking

1.) Murder House (S1): Nothing beats it. It drew me in and left a lasting impression on my soul with the twists, turns, and craziness. As convoluted as the plot got at times

2.) Asylum (S2): I loved the creepiness of the asylum, all the actors, and the stuffed up plot. It kept me entertained throughout even though there was some slow/over-the-top moments.

3.) Freakshow (S4): Better than Coven and definitely had it's wonderful moments but the plot never felt...there you know? There was no actual goal. Just freaks getting killed, basically. They overcompensated for all the non-death in Coven but...Idk. I still enjoyed it but it had this underwhelming feel to it. Dandy was annoying. He was hot but annoying and Neil Patrick Harris' character was basically there to kill Maggie....and yeah. It was alright. Just not better than the first 2.

4.) Coven: I didn't HATE Coven. It was hilarious, campy, and entertaining. However, literally NOTHING happened. There was literally no plot and most of the things that happened....didn't really have any consequences to the main cast. People died and came back. Died and came back. On and on and on. Not to mention that the season finale was kind of lame. How did Taissa Farmiga's character get killed off so stupidly? Why did Emma Roberts character not use her witch powers to stop FrankenEvan from choking her? There were so many holes and so much non plot and development that it was just a mess. It was fun to watch Kathy Bates character among many of the colorfully entertaining characters. It was a very "YASSS" season but there was no horror, no plot, and just didn't really matter lol.

v--------------------------- Season 5 info ----------------------------------v

As for S5 apparently Ryan Murphy wants the show to undergo radical changes to get Jessica Lange to stay. I don't blame him. She's a HUGE part of the show. Her acting is perfect and it would be strange without the centerpiece. She may or may not come back. I don't think the show will die without her but it will definitely be different (probably mark the beginning of the end for the series).

My guess is that since Ryan Murphy is starting a horror comedy called "Scream Queens" on FOX soon that he'll completely remove any comedy/campy/song aspects from American Horror Story and make it a VERY serious, atmospheric horror show.

But who knows? Your thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Level
    My order

1. Coven. It was fun and made sense... and Kathy Bates!
    2. Murderhouse. Good but I didn't like the mom and dad. I wanted them dead.
    3. Freakshow. I loved Ma Petit and loved to hate Twisty. And again Kathy Bates... she made me cry even with her horrible accent.
    4. Asylum. It just never came together. Ugh those time jumps at the end.

I won't say the show is dying unless Jessica Lang returns. They have a lot of great actresses that could carry a season if they do it right. Or maybe attract a new actress. They offer fun roles for older non 20/30 something actresses and for that alone seem to attract a lot of talent.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    My order

1. Asylum
    2. Murder House
    3. Coven
    4. Freakshow

I am so bummed out with Freakshow right now after watching the finale. The finale itself wasn't horrible but it just kind of capped off a very messy season that started off with such amazing potential the first few episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaysGoneKwame View Post
    Dandy was annoying. He was hot but annoying
    You're right and I blame this COMPLETELY on the writing! That Finn Wittrock guy seems like a perfectly fine actor. It felt so uneven the way his character was written throughout the various episodes. There were some episodes and scenes where Dandy came across as genuinely scary or creepy and then other times he was just a campy little spoiled brat that you wanted to slap the shit out of.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DaysGoneKwame View Post

My guess is that since Ryan Murphy is starting a horror comedy called "Scream Queens" on FOX soon
    I so want to be interested in this but I can't because of Emma Roberts. It should be NEVE CAMPBELL starring alongside Jamie Lee Curtis not Emma Roberts!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level
    I really have to get into this show soon.

Do the seasons have an overarching story or are they just separate entities that have little relation to each other?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    Each season is separate story, though many of the same actors are in the various seasons playing different characters.

Though in Freakshow, there are a few crossovers characters from other seasons, but you don't need to know their back stories from the previous seasons to get the plot of this season. I think bringing these characters back briefly is more of a nod to the faithful fans who've watched all the seasons so far.

My Order:

1) Asylum: Started off strong with the right ambiance, but had too many plot lines that didn't always work together. The ending seemed rushed, too. Still, I feel that the season was the strongest because when it was disturbing, it was really disturbing! The therapy session anyone?!? Ugh! That and I loved the mental institute setting. Very eerie and very interesting.

2) Murder House: Very predictable plot line in my opinion, but was well done and kept me interested even though I knew where it was going.

3) Freakshow: I love Freakshows and their history so this alone keeps me in my seat. Some of the shock value is getting tiring (crab hands and Tupperware parties) and is only there for just that: shock value. Also, the musical numbers are too reminiscent of Glee and and don't fit the time period which makes me cringe.

4) Coven: I could barely get through this one. It was hokey and the plot went nowhere! The girls were not the strongest actors either and the material didn't help them.

Still, I would recommend the series because everyone has different tastes. If you hate one season you can hang on for the next one because you may like the setting/plot better.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    I only saw Coven and Freakshow. I really liked Coven, I loved Fiona Goode over Elsa, and I also loved Misty day. However, I hated so bad Zoe (Farmiga) that kinda ruined the season for me.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    I actually like Freakshow best so far.

Second place would be: Asylum

Third place: Murder House

Fourth place: Coven

By the way, I think the finale of season 4 was excellent! I just wish we would get a final look at Stanley, even if it was just for a couple of seconds. Other than that it was pretty much perfect in my opinion.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    1. Asylum - Love it! It was the only season really creepy. I love scenarios in mental institutions.

2. Murder House - Love Tate Langdon. Evan Peters was amazing, he is a really gifted young actor.

3. Coven - Not bad mostly because of Kathy Bates, love her.

4. Freakshow - I have yet not seen this season it didn't catch my interest. It's recorded on the TV box, maybe when I'm bored I will put an eye on it.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravelord View Post
    I really have to get into this show soon.

Do the seasons have an overarching story or are they just separate entities that have little relation to each other?
    Each season is a different story but features all or most of the same actors among new ones. Start with S1. Don't go in any other order lol. As far as relations go, I can say that yes that have very VERY little relation to each other but the relation is sort of there. You'll understand after you watch 2 and 4.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast