Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level

If Caryl doesn't happen?

This might be a buzzkill thread for the Caryl subforum but I am curious. If Caryl doesn't happen for whatever reasons (Daryl leaving, dying, Carol dying etc) what would you do and how would you feel?

Would it live on in fanfiction? Would you leave well enough alone? What would you do? I am curious.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    I need you by my side. Poison Ivy's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Level
    I'd be dissappointed, sure, but it wouldn't ruin the Caryl relationship for me at all. It's evident how much love there is between the two of them that a kiss or anything beyond that isn't necessary to prove that. I do believe it will eventually happen and I can't wait for when it does happen, but what they have is special and goes beyond any label I can give them. Whether one dies or one leaves, it will always be clear just how close they are and how much they care for one another and nothing will ever change that.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminite View Post
    I'd be dissappointed, sure, but it wouldn't ruin the Caryl relationship for me at all. It's evident how much love there is between the two of them that a kiss or anything beyond that isn't necessary to prove that. I do believe it will eventually happen and I can't wait for when it does happen, but what they have is special and goes beyond any label I can give them. Whether one dies or one leaves, it will always be clear just how close they are and how much they care for one another and nothing will ever change that.
    Exactly. But I will also think that the writers wasted a great opportunity to show a fully developed, non-conventional love story between the sex symbol bad boy and a complicated woman, rather than a bland ingenue. We don't see it enough on TV and when we do see it on-screen, it usually gets accolades. And I will think it would have.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Level
    Um, not an issue because it will.

TV is a business.

Romantic arcs are TV formula and a sure fire way of getting audiences - especially women - emotionally invested in your product.

I find it flabbergasting that people think that they could build all of this up just to have Daryl and Carol turn out as buddies, or some teenage unrequited thing. NR is the sex symbol of the show. This is technically an adult show and we will see him in a sexual situation sooner or later because that will be ratings GOLD. And it makes no narrative sense for that sexual situation to be with anyone but Carol.

If it didn't I'd seriously question AMC's business model

AND when it happens I expect to be baked a fucking virtual cake for my tireless services!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Level
    It would be disappointing because the only reason at this point not to do it would involve appeasing misogynistic viewpoints. You've seen that play out on this forum and others. If Melissa was slightly younger and still sported her lovely long auburn curls, there would likely already be a relationship as an organic outgrowth of what we've seen on screen over the seasons. Some people resist the idea only because they're unaccustomed to seeing women with short, greying hair portrayed as sexual beings. It would be ground-breaking only in that it would portray the reality that real women actually live .. they don't stop being sexual beings once they develop a wrinkle or sprout a white hair.

Love between age appropriate mature couples is the norm in our society, yet it is rarely portrayed on TV or in films. Add to that, the wonderful chemistry and interplay between these two actors and characters, the show would be wasting the opportunity to be truly memorable in the depiction of relationships.

If they never get together before one of them dies, that's life, but it will remove part of what makes this show unique. What would I do? Life would go on, (seriously, it's only a TV show), and I'd likely want to still discuss the "what ifs" for a period of time. I don't really read fanfiction now, but I might start if one or both of them died.

Yeah, you're right. This IS a buzzkill. lol

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1741 Post(s)
    Level
    You said this way better than i ever could. Not many relationships on TV are like the Caryl relationship. And that makes it special.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Level
    Like Carrie says, I think Caryl will happen because the show is suggesting a narrative that implies heavily that those two characters are going through a typical slowburn. Each scene they share has the purpose of deepening their relationship and I really doubt it's gonna end up just being a strong friendship with no payoff whatsoever for the viewers. If a friendship was always the goal here, there would have been no need to focus on them so much as a pairing and throw all this teasing here and there over the seasons. They will have to deliver at some point in the series and it's mostly just a question of when it's gonna happen. Also, just on a marketing perspective, they would be totally nuts to never put the golden boy and the unexpected fan-favorite together. Aside from Richonne, they are two of the most beloved characters on the show and they sell really well. Not taking advantage of this would be a bad move on their part and they know it.

With that being said, if Caryl ends up not happening for some reason, I'll just accept it and move on. It's clear that I would be a little bit disappointed because I have spent a lot of time rooting for this pairing but in the end, shipping is just for fun and I fully embrace my decision to support Caryl until it's all over. No matter what happens, I saw their chemistry on screen and I enjoyed it. That's all that really counts.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ninakins View Post
    It would be disappointing because the only reason at this point not to do it would involve appeasing misogynistic viewpoints. You've seen that play out on this forum and others. If Melissa was slightly younger and still sported her lovely long auburn curls, there would likely already be a relationship as an organic outgrowth of what we've seen on screen over the seasons. Some people resist the idea only because they're unaccustomed to seeing women with short, greying hair portrayed as sexual beings. It would be ground-breaking only in that it would portray the reality that real women actually live .. they don't stop being sexual beings once they develop a wrinkle or sprout a white hair.

Love between age appropriate mature couples is the norm in our society, yet it is rarely portrayed on TV or in films. Add to that, the wonderful chemistry and interplay between these two actors and characters, the show would be wasting the opportunity to be truly memorable in the depiction of relationships.

If they never get together before one of them dies, that's life, but it will remove part of what makes this show unique. What would I do? Life would go on, (seriously, it's only a TV show), and I'd likely want to still discuss the "what ifs" for a period of time. I don't really read fanfiction now, but I might start if one or both of them died.

Yeah, you're right. This IS a buzzkill. lol
    All of this!

Yeah, I'd be disappointed if it didn't happen, but I'd move on. As long as Carol lives and is happy, that's the most important thing to me. If they never turned romantic, I'd still be happy for the moments we got, because we got some great ones (that hug!)

I still think it happens though. lol

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    It truly is a unique and amazing relationship. Hate to tell Daryl he's in a damn romance novel.
    The more I see these two together the more I am drawn into this complex story. I am thankful or season 5 because it has developed that even more.
    If something happened to one of them and they never went canon, I would feel badly for the characters that they never experienced romantic love with each other. it really is going to be beautiful.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Codas, codas everywhere HonkyTonkWoman's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Level
    Caryl already exists. Those two characters have a lovely relationship. Now, I think that the show would be missing a great opportunity if they didn't develop it into a romance, and I'd be disappointed, but I'd still watch all my favorite Caryl scenes and read/write fanfic.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast