Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Level

Daryl Debate Thread (Love and Hate)

I noticed there is no Daryl Debate Thread- so here we go. To make things clear ~~ love, hate...just don't be a jerk to other posters.

I used to love Daryl...I'm more neutral now. Lately he has been annoying me and by lately I mean season 4&5
    i want them to do something interesting with his character. Superheroe/chronic man pain sufferer is getting stale. It's okay for men to have pain but how about actually dealing with it.. Instead of using it for an excuse for him to be grumpy and aloof.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1745 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
    I noticed there is no Daryl Debate Thread- so here we go. To make things clear ~~ love, hate...just don't be a jerk to other posters.

I used to love Daryl...I'm more neutral now. Lately he has been annoying me and by lately I mean season 4&5
    i want them to do something interesting with his character. Superheroe/chronic man pain sufferer is getting stale. It's okay for men to have pain but how about actually dealing with it.. Instead of using it for an excuse for him to be grumpy and aloof.
    Amen. I want him to talk about his feelings instead of walking around like a sullen baby. He needs to learn to use his words he is a big boy and they speak in whole sentences. Not just 2 or 3 words at a time. I love Daryl because i understand this upbringing but i think he needs to delve more into so others can understand it too.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1394 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't hate Daryl, but I do think this show would be stronger without having to shoehorn him into the plot like some leather-clad, grumbly mascot. Unfortunately, we appear to be stuck with him -- and I doubt the writers are going to go about changing him so as to not "rock the boat" with either NR or his rabid fan base.

How I would fix Daryl? If we're going to be stuck with him? (aka he's not getting Lucille'd?)

• Make him fuck up. Make him the source of his own grief and anguish for once instead of him riding Death's coattails. Most of Daryl's development (for good or better) has been brought about by the deaths of characters. This is just not constructive.
    • Make him talk. Daryl was far more entertaining and enjoyable when he wasn't a veritable mute, speaking in grunts. What happened to his sass? Did that get consumed too?
    • Make him vulnerable. We haven't seen Daryl in any real danger since "Chupacabra". I was excited when he was wrestling with the cop in 5.07 because I was convinced he would need saving, but nope, he turned a walker head into a bowling ball and walloped his foe to get the best of him. Like, for once can't Daryl need rescuing? I mean, he technically did in 5.16 (when Morgan swooped in Batman style), but he was with Aaron too. I mean Daryl, on his own, needing help -- and I mean from a small threat -- not even a hoard of epic proportions. Daryl has saved Rick from lone walkers before. Time for someone to return the favor.
    • Daryl's at his best when he's with others. Bring back the Daryl-Glenn friendship. Show more Carol-Daryl scenes. More Rick-Daryl scenes. Just give Daryl screen time with people instead of having him brood in his manpain angsty way. NR's great when he bounces off other actors (especially good actors). Solo? He can't carry the scene.
    • Have him change his look. This emo thing does not do a man of his age any favors. It gives me secondhand embarrassment. He looked so much better in season 1-2.
    • When will he run out of cigarettes? It drives me insane to see him smoking all the time. Make him go through withdrawal or something. Hell, it might make him cranky again.
    • Have him learn something. Why is he always so ruggedly outdoorsy "I hate society"? Like, can't he learn to adjust? Sleep in a bed? Take a damn shower?
    • And last of all - LESS PUBLICITY. Scale down the Daryl merchandise, magazine covers, NR interviews -- we've reached critical mass. Make him take a backseat for a while.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon's Mistress View Post
    Amen. I want him to talk about his feelings instead of walking around like a sullen baby. He needs to learn to use his words he is a big boy and they speak in whole sentences. Not just 2 or 3 words at a time. I love Daryl because i understand this upbringing but i think he needs to delve more into so others can understand it too.

Agreed ...I don't want them to make him ooc but we now know it's not ooc for him to cry..show emotion etc. I really have seen no development in his character since season 3..it's like they are scared to mess with the formula and are trying to stick to what works.. It's not working anymore. Time for real character development and if not I would be okay with him going

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1745 Post(s)
    Level
    Agreed ...I don't want them to make him ooc but we now know it's not ooc for him to cry..show emotion etc. I really have seen no development in his character since season 3..it's like they are scared to mess with the formula and are trying to stick to what works.. It's not working anymore. Time for real character development and if not I would be okay with him going
    Me too. While i love him to death he is getting boring and i hate that. Give him something to mess up like maybe someone gets hurt on his watch. And actually let him deal with it. Make him not so perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing. I wish when he was talking to Maggie about Beth when they were in the Barn. I wish he would have said he felt guilty because he opened the door on a shit load of walkers and that was the reason Beth got taken. Because he should feel guilty about that. If he would have kept his guard up like he was supposed to she would have not been taken. He should not feel guilty about her being shot because that was her fault. But he should tell someone why the got separated instead of just saying She was just Gone.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Level

I agree with this but 5b put me a little over the edge in the disliking him category. And I the only one who thinks his interactions with Aaron are boring and contrived. I don't buy the insta friendship or that someone like Aaron would feel the need to stroke Daryl's ego quite so much.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhat View Post
    I don't hate Daryl, but I do think this show would be stronger without having to shoehorn him into the plot like some leather-clad, grumbly mascot. Unfortunately, we appear to be stuck with him -- and I doubt the writers are going to go about changing him so as to not "rock the boat" with either NR or his rabid fan base.

How I would fix Daryl? If we're going to be stuck with him? (aka he's not getting Lucille'd?)

• Make him fuck up. Make him the source of his own grief and anguish for once instead of him riding Death's coattails. Most of Daryl's development (for good or better) has been brought about by the deaths of characters. This is just not constructive.
    • Make him talk. Daryl was far more entertaining and enjoyable when he wasn't a veritable mute, speaking in grunts. What happened to his sass? Did that get consumed too?
    • Make him vulnerable. We haven't seen Daryl in any real danger since "Chupacabra". I was excited when he was wrestling with the cop in 5.07 because I was convinced he would need saving, but nope, he turned a walker head into a bowling ball and walloped his foe to get the best of him. Like, for once can't Daryl need rescuing? I mean, he technically did in 5.16 (when Morgan swooped in Batman style), but he was with Aaron too. I mean Daryl, on his own, needing help -- and I mean from a small threat -- not even a hoard of epic proportions. Daryl has saved Rick from lone walkers before. Time for someone to return the favor.
    • Daryl's at his best when he's with others. Bring back the Daryl-Glenn friendship. Show more Carol-Daryl scenes. More Rick-Daryl scenes. Just give Daryl screen time with people instead of having him brood in his manpain angsty way. NR's great when he bounces off other actors (especially good actors). Solo? He can't carry the scene.
    • Have him change his look. This emo thing does not do a man of his age any favors. It gives me secondhand embarrassment. He looked so much better in season 1-2.
    • When will he run out of cigarettes? It drives me insane to see him smoking all the time. Make him go through withdrawal or something. Hell, it might make him cranky again.
    • Have him learn something. Why is he always so ruggedly outdoorsy "I hate society"? Like, can't he learn to adjust? Sleep in a bed? Take a damn shower?
    • And last of all - LESS PUBLICITY. Scale down the Daryl merchandise, magazine covers, NR interviews -- we've reached critical mass. Make him take a backseat for a while.

Yes i I want Daryl to fuck up...everything he does always ends up golden..the chain thing on the finale?? Grrr that annoyed the heck out of me ...let him actually cause someone's death..or at least injury.

I misssssss funny Daryl quips. I get that the character is in a different place but a sense of humor is something ingrained in a person. It was part of his character for like two and a half seasons then it was gone.

Yes someone one else save him for once ... More Carol /Daryl . More Rick /Daryl and to a lesser extent more Glenn, Michonne and Carl interactions. I would also love to see interaction with someone like Tara who is quirky and funny ..

rip season 2 Daryl hair ...you will be forever missed

i hate the fact that he smokes.......HATE IT

yes everyone has to change and evolve why not him

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Level
    While I like him and he's one of my favorite characters to watch on the show, I get the backlash of Daryl. He's taken away a lot from characters like Tyreese, Glenn and hell even Rick himself.

I saw him as the angry loner at first and he's now found a real family he never had. But honestly, that's it. We learn something through all of the other characters, even the evil ones. But what have we learned through Daryl? How to always be bad ass at all times and never screw up? I need more.

But I don't want him to die.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    Same complaints here as in the Michonne thread. I want to see him make some bad calls, get his ass whipped here and there, miss a target sometimes. It will be nearly impossible for him to recover from all the OOC shit from Still in my eyes. I don't want to see Daryl be everyone's buddy like he was at the prison. I don't want to see him saving the life of a person that just released walkers to kill him amd Carol. I'm not interested in seeing him self harm.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon's Mistress View Post
    Me too. While i love him to death he is getting boring and i hate that. Give him something to mess up like maybe someone gets hurt on his watch. And actually let him deal with it. Make him not so perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing. I wish when he was talking to Maggie about Beth when they were in the Barn. I wish he would have said he felt guilty because he opened the door on a shit load of walkers and that was the reason Beth got taken. Because he should feel guilty about that. If he would have kept his guard up like he was supposed to she would have not been taken. He should not feel guilty about her being shot because that was her fault. But he should tell someone why the got separated instead of just saying She was just Gone.
    In Conquer he did the almost the same thing opening the container on the truck, and while he couldn't see through the door like at the funeral home, he walked right past the empty cans hanging off the strings and failed to consider that is was some kind of trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Care View Post
    I agree with this but 5b put me a little over the edge in the disliking him category. And I the only one who thinks his interactions with Aaron are boring and contrived. I don't buy the insta friendship or that someone like Aaron would feel the need to stroke Daryl's ego quite so much.
    You are not the only one. I am annoyed at the insta-bond BroTP and I'm glad that NR gave a little push back against it in one of his recent interviews.

I am starting to consider that we have seen other characters acting differently than what we know about them fundamentally, or at their core, "OOC" behavior sort of; is it possible that Daryl's instabond is a manifestation of his own traumatic stress reaction? I admit it seems a bit far-fetched, but he has been cautious and distrustful in the past, and "observant" as he described himself in S 1 or 2??, maybe his flip in personality has a deeper catalyst.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast