Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Is the Show Trying too Hard to be Gloomy and Complex?

Reading the show spoilers, it looks as though another character will find himself in a position where he has to make an impossible choice... again.

That is, Daryl will be forced to choose between his brother and the prison group. And Andrea will have to make a similar choice, eventually.

This is a recurring theme on the show, and it makes things more interesting, but only to a point.

The Merle thing is starting to bug me a little. IMO the show is going a little overboard with trying to create moral quandaries/ complicated choices and to make things dark.

It's one thing to make things too simplistic, but Walking Dead seems to be going to the other extreme.

The roof top in Atlanta could have been an event which changed Merle for the better. They could have written it so Merle sees the error of his ways and realizes that he's lucky to be alive and he stops being a complete bastard.

I can hear Kirkman saying "No, this is the Walking Dead, which means everything has to be dark, complex and nihilistic. Merle will continue to be a total son of a bitch by torturing and almost killing Glenn and Rick will continue to descend into madness having hallucinations of his dead wife and the world will sink further into the abyss."

I'm not saying that Walking Dead should be "Singing in the Rain," but you can go overboard with darkness to the point where it gets predictable and even stale.

Agree? Disagree? Have any similar gripes? Sound off.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree. Not everything has to be shit, and it doesn't have to be death death death, who will die next either...I think they've ramped up the pace WAY too much in Season 3 and personally, I wish they'd mix the pace of this season with the last...

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    Totally agree.

For once, I'd like to see the good in humanity because everyone expects the worst to come out in times of disaster.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    meh, its fine the way it is. have to take these spoilers with a grain of salt anyways. its a show about the destruction of mankind, dead rising, no hope. grim as fuck. just dont want useless killing, its all story driven. a good story makes or breaks it.. sounded off

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    yes...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I like dark and gloomy with lots of death and destruction. The problem for me is that the series is totally lacking a contrast like humor. In the first and second season we had some Shane/Rick moments like when they were talking about Shane getting mad-laid in high school and Rick not so much, and don't forget those great Daryl one-liners like "Hey, Short Round, why don't you stand off to one side? You're muckin' up the trail."

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    yes, the comics are so uplifting and light and lively, hardly any deaths or anything. I havent even read them all but know enough to accept the premise, if not then why watch? It's about doom and gloom and how the human spirit adapts and carries on in the darkest times. Saying that, how is this about spoilers?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegoia View Post
    yes, the comics are so uplifting and light and lively, hardly any deaths or anything. I havent even read them all but know enough to accept the premise, if not then why watch? It's about doom and gloom and how the human spirit adapts and carries on in the darkest times. Saying that, how is this about spoilers?
    so you havent read the comics? not so uplifting..

i agree it could use a laugh or two seems like AMC is turning the drama up to some retarded level. problem is theyve killed off the best actor on the show.. RIP shane. im hoping to see a shane spectre once in ahwile in a rick freak out.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dpguy View Post
    Reading the show spoilers, it looks as though another character will find himself in a position where he has to make an impossible choice... again.

That is, Daryl will be forced to choose between his brother and the prison group. And Andrea will have to make a similar choice, eventually.

This is a recurring theme on the show, and it makes things more interesting, but only to a point.

The Merle thing is starting to bug me a little. IMO the show is going a little overboard with trying to create moral quandaries/ complicated choices and to make things dark.

It's one thing to make things too simplistic, but Walking Dead seems to be going to the other extreme.

The roof top in Atlanta could have been an event which changed Merle for the better. They could have written it so Merle sees the error of his ways and realizes that he's lucky to be alive and he stops being a complete bastard.

I can hear Kirkman saying "No, this is the Walking Dead, which means everything has to be dark, complex and nihilistic. Merle will continue to be a total son of a bitch by torturing and almost killing Glenn and Rick will continue to descend into madness having hallucinations of his dead wife and the world will sink further into the abyss."

I'm not saying that Walking Dead should be "Singing in the Rain," but you can go overboard with darkness to the point where it gets predictable and even stale.

Agree? Disagree? Have any similar gripes? Sound off.
    The thing is (regarding Merle) based upon the choices that Merle made after the rooftop incident (choosing to follow a sociopath leader), he is bound not to change for the better. To be willing to torture Glenn like that does not indicate a change man for the better. It would be unrealistic to expect him to sudden change to a positive person.

In a survivalist world where there is constant stress, it either makes you stronger or weaker. Both Andrea and Merle made choices and they will have to pay the consequences of those choices and others around them will be forced to make choices about them. Life is just that hard. Remember what Guillermo (leader of the Vato gang) said, nothing has changed in this world. It is survival of the fittest. It always has been. It is in our present world: we just create window dressing in our lives fooling ourselves into thinking it is not this way.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewanderer View Post
    so you havent read the comics? not so uplifting..

i agree it could use a laugh or two seems like AMC is turning the drama up to some retarded level. problem is theyve killed off the best actor on the show.. RIP shane. im hoping to see a shane spectre once in ahwile in a rick freak out.
    A fellow Shane fan. Welcome. We're rare! Anyway, I think we may get more Shane-llucinations because Jon Bernthal seems to really love the show and his fellow cast members. I can see him coming back in flashbacks. Speaking of lightening up the show, I think some flashbacks or dreams or whatever of Shane and Rick before the ZA would be cool.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast