1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level

'Walking Dead' finale explores Rick's place in the new world

Nice review of TWD and Rick's role. Also how Andrew Lincoln plays Rick as pretty dark and unstable - more so than maybe the writers intend.
    I think that is true and I think that gives the character more depth - you never know what he may do!
    I remember in seasons 1 and 2 critics would really give the character a hard time for being a fairly standard, bland hero type with not much depth.

http://www.michigandaily.com/arts/04...-dead-finale08

If any quote encapsulates Rick’s philosophy in the apocalypse, it would come from fellow AMC series “Breaking Bad” ’s Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks), who said, “I chose a half measure, when I should have gone all the way. I’ll never make that mistake again.” Rick has learned this lesson more than once.

The show has seen Rick walk the line between sanity and insanity multiple times, as Lincoln gives the character an undercurrent of dark madness that always risks coming forth. However, the show’s writers seem to be more cautious in embracing that darker side.

However, when Rick comes forth with the body of a walker who sneaks in, the show states that the new world needs Rick Grimes, because in the words of “True Detective” ’s Rust Cohle, “The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door.” That's why Rick kills Pete after he kills Reg (Steve Coulter, “The Conjuring"). In “The Walking Dead,” survival can't be compromised. This is a lesson Rick knows, and Alexandria needs to learn.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Would You Kindly? hello-sweetie's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Thank you for sharing! I actually just had a discussion with a friend who didn't like how Rick was treating the Alexandrians and I wish I had been half as eloquent as this article.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for sharing :)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    There are wolves, and there are sheep. And then there is the sheepdog.

We know who the wolves are. And we know who the sheep are. That makes Rick's group the sheepdogs.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Level
    Awesome, love the Breaking Bad and True Detective references.
    No more half measures, like Mike said, that's where Rick is, it's a powerful place, but dangerous too.