Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level

Alpha (And The Whisperers) Discussion Thread

I've noticed that Alpha meeting Maggie was much less hostile than Alpha meeting Rick. Perhaps because Maggie all around handled the whole situation better than Rick did. She didn't really bark orders or threaten anyone.

I've got to thinking about what could possibly be Alpha's backstory. I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around a LARGE group of people following a female with such extreme survival measures.

Perhaps we'll probably never know why and I'm beginning to think that might be best for story's sake. In fact, a backstory might even make an already ridiculous arc even more ridiculous. Here are the finer points (ones that I'm fine with).

- They use the skin and walker bile to control, use, and hide amongst the walkers. It's smart. A bit impractical but these are advanced level survivors. Ones who were Rick's group x5353535 years on the road. I'm sure they're smart and know to be relatively safe. They've become primal and regressed back to early human survivalist roots.

- Alpha is their leader. Her name speaks for itself. She is the big boss. She calls the shots with an iron fist and her minions either worship her, are her children (literally), or were very impressionable from the start.

- They're not above rape. Again, primal. It could be that Alpha lets the men rape her daughter so she can prep her "BETA" to become "ALPHA" when she dies.

Questions I have:

What pushed Alpha to this? Was she raped? Wronged by men? Did she decide to become a female powerhouse reaping the sows of the fallen patriarchy?

What do the Whisperers do? Like why do they even exist besides to be antagonists to Rick and co. Do they have a base? Are they always travelling? Do they recruit? Are all the whisperers young and impressionable so Alpha has more pull over them?

Wacky theories:

Alpha ran a daycare center with several children after the ZA began. She lost everything and everyone except her 8 year old daughter Lydia. On a run, she was attacked, raped, and almost killed. Her children were left alone for days. Using her seduction on a nicer male who didn't rape her, she attacked him and tore his face off. Covered in blood, she let him turn and he assisted her in killing the other men. She returns to her children, broken, changed. She cuts all her hair off because the men who raped her used it against her several times. A She starts teaching them how they'll do things from now on. Alpha begins molding and creating her small army.

Sounds stupid, right? Like I said, there's not a lot of good ways you can get from point A to point B with Alpha's story without it seeming ridiculous, lol.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I actually dig your theory, minus the daycare bit. She or Lydia could've been raped while on the road, more likely Alpha with her daughter watching on in horror. I picture it more like the Marauders, with the roles reversed (instead of it being the child they try to rape like Carl). After they've all ran a train on her, they leave them both for dead. Not expecting a young girl and her mother to survive on their own.

Alpha experiences changes during this time, leading her to hunt down the men that violated her and taking revenge on each and every one of them. Somewhere along the line, she learns that walker guts/skin camouflage them. Instead of using weaker people to take advantage of, she helps them. Because at one time, she was like them. She teaches them the way of survival and over time the group grows.

Now the forced sex of Lydia is something I struggle with. Was she a weak child, like Sarah from Season Two of the video-game, and this is something her mother allowed to happen to toughen her up? I don't know. I don't have kids of my own, but I do have three nieces and a nephew, and I'm extremely protective of them so how a parent could let something like that happen to their own flesh and blood is beyond belief. No matter the circumstances. But hey, maybe we're completely wrong. Only Kirkman knows the backstory, if there is one.

I do believe though that it's a pretty stupid arc/storyline. Like what happens if it rains and they're in a herd of walkers? Wouldn't the smell and guts/skin they're using just wash away? What if someone launched a grenade into a herd, or picked them off with a sniper rifle? They'd be pretty fucked. When I first read about The Whisperers, I rolled my eyes so hard they almost fell out of my head. And this is the same series that had a fucking TIGER!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    Alpha scares the pants off of me.

Even worse than Negan did at first (before he became a mere cartoon character)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DaysGoneKwame View Post
    I've got to thinking about what could possibly be Alpha's backstory. I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around a LARGE group of people following a female with such extreme survival measures.

Perhaps we'll probably never know why and I'm beginning to think that might be best for story's sake. In fact, a backstory might even make an already ridiculous arc even more ridiculous. Here are the finer points (ones that I'm fine with).

Questions I have:

What pushed Alpha to this? Was she raped? Wronged by men? Did she decide to become a female powerhouse reaping the sows of the fallen patriarchy?

What do the Whisperers do? Like why do they even exist besides to be antagonists to Rick and co. Do they have a base? Are they always travelling? Do they recruit? Are all the whisperers young and impressionable so Alpha has more pull over them?
    How did she become a leader of men; being a woman? Perhaps, that is why she shaves her head, to appear more androgynous. Do all the whisperers shave their heads? I can see maybe they do so the walker skin slides over better and less mess in the end. Or maybe she didn't reveal herself as a female until much later after starting to get followers to her group.

Why does she allow rape? That would be a good incentive for men to continue to follow her group. The spoils of war and all that.

I think the Whispers are nomadic. They have to be. I can't see them really settling down in a place to do some gardening, when the thing that protects them / camoflauges is nomadic themselves. And if that's the case, them claiming the territory and marking the boundary doesn't make much sense, because they will be moving on soon. There is only so much supplies to go around and we learned previously that the pickings in the area were getting slim.