1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Level

'The Walking Dead': 5 Plot Failures Its 'Fear The Walking Dead' Spinoff Must Avoid

'The Walking Dead': 5 Plot Failures Its 'Fear The Walking Dead' Spinoff Must Avoid
    Christopher Groux , Design & Trend
    Aug, 01, 2015, 02:00 PM

http://www.designntrend.com/articles...noff-avoid.htm

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm gonna be honest, that article is garbage lol. The guy is basically saying 'We don't give two shits about father-son bonding, nor do we care about character development. Give us blood right now'

But hey, what do you expect from the guy who wrote 5 Reasons why Daryl Dixon needs a love interest in S06

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    I disagree with most of this article.

"Too Many Cheesy Father-Son Moments Don't Work"

While I agree the "Guns are dangerous. Here's a gun, Carl" charade was pretty annoying, the other father-son moments are important for development.

"Don't Stay Put For Too Long"

The group doesn't always have to be on the road for the plot to advance. The ASZ is a prime example of that.

"Kill The Characters Viewers Don't Like"

The writers can't please everyone. People who adore Carol may hate Maggie, and vice versa. Killing people just because they're disliked by the GA is stupid and bad storytelling.

"Avoid Stereotypical Villains"

What? What was stereotypical about Shane, or The Governor, or The Claimers, or the Termites?

"An Emotionally Shattered Lead Can Get Annoying"

Right, because the main character showing grief as he loses his family and friends in the apocalypse is such a bad thing.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Level
    If I was writing this the bullet points would be.

1: Don't kill characters to meet a kill quota, it can lead to sloppy story telling that feels forced as if an entire arc was only to try and throw the actor a bone since they were killing them off (Emily Kinney/Beth hospital arc for example.) Noahs untimely death, though well done. Killing Axel, Oscar, Noah, Milton, and other interesting characters off so fast when for the SAKE of killing someone and them being the most expendable.

2: Don't overdue certain characters. Daryl is my example. His character arc has been great we know so much about him and he of all characters besides Carol has had the biggest growth since season one. That being said, we get it, he's anti social, abused as a child, used to have no identity but now he feels important because he is valued by the group and that keeps him whole and makes him a better man. They are kinda beating a dead horse with his character, I actually love Daryl as a character but I think he may have peaked because there was so much heavy focus on him for so long and he's had great moments. He also has causes so many comic characters who were introduced to get snubbed out of a lot of their key character moments/characteristics. Tyreese and Abraham for example were snubbed out of a good dynamic with Rick because Daryl was already there taking up that story. He can only die in my opinion via Lucille/Negan, it would be the only big enough way to make his death super impactful and believable. If they chose to keep him alive, they need to take his character in a new interesting direction and maybe even develop him more to where we can learn things about him we didn't already know. They need to use a character in a new interesting way for a long time, or if there's no more story left for them kill them, don't just repeat the same thing over and over with a character, and don't have an "untouchable" or "invincible" character.

3: Have a more focused ensemble. You're better off having a smaller group of characters with a lot of development and focus than a huge ensemble receiving none outside of their own bottle episodes.

4: Do something different. Whatever you do just make sure it isn't recycling the same stories as the original show.

5: Don't make characters look stupid right before they die. The original show has a habit of that, Andrea, Dale, And Beth are three examples.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    How andrea dale and beth look stupid before death

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Yeaaahhh ... I'm also going to have to disagree with this article.

1.The father/son bonding moments are what make the show feel realistic, whether you think they can be cheesy or not, parenting "moments" can often be cheesy. Carl has learned a lot from Rick and I think a lot of the moments (the no gun especially) were essential to understanding both of their characters' perspectives on the ZA and their relationship.

2. Don't stay put for too long? Hmmm. Well. The prison was AMAZING first off, as a viewer I enjoyed most of that season, and as a character I'm sure they were all glad to have beds, secure walls/fences, water, etc, etc. I may be in the minority with this as well, but I enjoy season 2 on re-watch very much. I like the character development, and it's still early in the ZA so we're learning along with the characters. I think that when they move from place to place TOO much, there aren't any connections to anything or anyone so I kind of don't care what happens as much. But that could just be me.

3. Kill the characters viewers don't like? Honestly, I like the fact that the audience doesn't dictate the story (calm down Daryl haters- he'll go eventually). I agree that Lori and Andrea were awful, but their deaths made sense to the story when they happened.

4. Avoid stereotypical villians. Um. Aside from the zombies themselves, who exactly were the stereotypical villains? I've loved all of them, especially since Gimple has had a major role.

I agree with the points made by @TheRumpleteaze. Don't just kill characters for the sake of killing them and having some sort of shock value, kill them when it makes sense to the storyline moving forward. I would LOVE to see a more focused ensemble, it's always one thing I hope for with each season of TWD but it never seems to happen.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Level
    I disagree with this article as well.
    To me, it sounds like it is written by someone who thinks "most rad zombie kill of the week" is the reason for tuning in.

The ZA has made everything else in the world change, so why wouldn't we be interested in those aspects as well as the presence of walkers?

• the father/son moments. Very interesting directly, with the characters Rick and Carl ---but they also represent a larger theme: the struggle of those who were built in civilization adapting to the new world, and the struggle of those who barely remember/or born after the loss of the old world to learn there should be more than what the new world is---civilization; a reason and aspiration for the remaining human race.
    • Don't stay put for too long? Frankly, only the earliest eps had an exciting potential with being nomads. The early days when they didn't know how to survive. They are past that now, and it becomes simply killing time till the next shelter/community pops up. I loved the farm because that is when we really got to know each character, see how the interactions paid off later down the line, and how the expected pattern of people in groups blows up when strangers are NOT concentrating on finding water or sitting watch. The prison sickness arc also proved the point that it is the little things that are more likely to get you than the big ones.
    • Kill off people quickly if they didn't catch on quickly? Well we wouldn't have Carol, Herschel started as a jerk who ended up beloved by viewers, everyone hated Season 2 Carl, etc etc. Abe didn't get much love at first. He didn't get much chance. It was supposed to be Abe with Rick and Carl when Joe and the claimers attacked, it was supposed to be Abe to get in Rick's face about Aaron in the barn. Now he finally gets some moments and he may not even be there much longer. Instead of killing people because the writers gave them nothing to keep viewers interested, how about writing better?
    • Emotionally shattered lead can get annoying? Jeez, actors like Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins and Denzel Washington would lose most of their careers without this character arc. If shattered Rick Grimes at the prison was so bad, why does TWD have increasing viewer ratings every year? In fact, if anything in the article list is such a mistake why is TWD more popular than ever?
    • Stereotypical villains. yeah, go through the most successful television series and movies and tell me how villain types wouldnt' become stereotyped? If something gets repeated is ain't because it was a failure! If it makes money, you'll see it again. It certainly hasn't made TWD fans quit watching.
      • Just to offer a stereotype I would love, i suggest the old trick of a good guy going bad. And I am talking about Daryl. It's the only way to save his character at this point, give him back his Season 1 and 2 balls and make him interesting again.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    The article is a bit lame
    What does the writer of the article want zombiezombiezombie chompnugget XD lol

I'll just give something that needs attention:
    Stick to the line NOBODY IS SAFE AND STOP PANDERING!!!!!
    KILL THEM ALL ONLY WHEN THERE IS A FREAKING REASON TO KILL THEM AND NOT JUST FOR SHOCK VALUE!!!
    Avoid keeping cash cows coz they'll be the reason the show would be degrading
    Give everyone better writing and better arcs and if not give a justifiable death at least

This might be a good way to start

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    Lol, the article is trash. Seems like this person doesn't want to watch a show with an actual story and character development. He just wants to see people kill zombies.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    If anything, it's more impactful to strategically kill off a character the audience loves.

killing Beth or redshirts doesn't make for great, unexpected drama.