Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think that Jessie's kids should be grateful at all to Rick for killing their dad. Yes, Pete murdered Reg and there was the suggestion of him abusing their Mom but we don't know what kind of Father he was like before the ZA and when the alcoholism started. Ron was incognito in 5B so we don't yet know what his impression of his father's behavior was like , it was only through Sam that we found out something was going on when he reached out to Carol. I think Sam will most likely be scared, confused and will stay close to his mom and/or Carol if the writers continue that bond they had. Ron will definitely be the one to lash out being the teenage son, he may be just as protective of his dad as Carl is of Rick, and we have evidence from the trailer with Ron telling Jessie that Rick is dangerous, that he is not going to be content with the situation. I hope Jessie decides to put her children's well being as a priority rather than being infatuated with Rick. She could learn so much from all the women in TF on how to cope instead of looking to and depending on Rick for protection.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    This show has already committed one major blunder when it failed to avoid properly addressing Carl's attempted rape. Unfortunately, in this world, children are going to experience the same traumatic experiences that the adults face. There just isn't a permanent solution to shield them forever. I hope that the writers don't choose to half ass handles this. I'm fully aware of what the trailer shows, but they have been known to be highly deceiving. No matter what angle I look at this from, I just can't find a way to rationalize these two kids accepting Rick as a love interest for their mother. It's very possible that we will see it happen anyways, though. I just domt see how it can be done without making Jessie look terribly selfish amd Rick looking highly insensitive to the feelings of these kids.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Level
    It's impossible for a Jessie/Rick relationship to come out looking good. Especially for the children.

- They see their mom go from one violent man to another (a murderer this time)
    - If Jessie gets with Rick after her kids show obvious dissatisfaction, she chose a man over what might be best for her kids
    - If Rick gets with Jessie despite having just killed two kids' father, he obviously just doesn't give a damn what they think. He doesn't care about them. He doesn't give a shit. He's not even thinking about them. Not a good look, Rick.

It's just not good! Stay away from the bland woman in plaid, Rick! Do it for the kids!

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HateForTheMasses View Post
    This show has already committed one major blunder when it failed to avoid properly addressing Carl's attempted rape. Unfortunately, in this world, children are going to experience the same traumatic experiences that the adults face. There just isn't a permanent solution to shield them forever. I hope that the writers don't choose to half ass handles this. I'm fully aware of what the trailer shows, but they have been known to be highly deceiving. No matter what angle I look at this from, I just can't find a way to rationalize these two kids accepting Rick as a love interest for their mother. It's very possible that we will see it happen anyways, though. I just domt see how it can be done without making Jessie look terribly selfish amd Rick looking highly insensitive to the feelings of these kids.
    This is exactly my concern. TPTB tackle these issues, but then never fully commit. Like you, I never take the trailer at face value any more as they have manipulated both visuals and dialogue in the past in order to conceal the reality of story arcs. This entire arc has been truly horribly done, and some of the writing has been abysmal. I find it difficult to feel sympathy for anyone involved, but I am interested in how they will handle the boys' reaction. Like most people here, I think Ron's increased understanding of adult relationships will come into play and he will react badly to the thought of his mother even entertaining the idea of starting a relationship with a man who killed his father. Not that I believe they will have a "relationship", but that is a topic for another thread. Sam being younger is far more likely to be accepting of his mother's choices, but it has already been shown that he ran to Carol for protection at a moment of stress, so who knows. The idea that because Pete was abusive, Rick killing him is somehow 'less wrong' and that it wouldn't then be completely crass and tasteless to screw his widow, is just laughable to me. Especially with two bereaved children also in the mix. I don't see any way that they are going to be able to show those boys interacting with Rick in any kind of positive light, and make it even slightly believable.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Level
    TWD's writers' room has painted themselves into a dark corner on this one. Shakespeare could tackle this subject matter; Scott Gimple couldn't even solve the mystery of wtf was in Bob's box for us. They're KIDS. Of course they'll take Dad's death hard & hate his executioner more than NFL fans hate Roger Goodell.

In Deanna's videos you can see a book titled "Crime without Punishment" on the bookshelf. That was ASZ's model before Rick & co showed up. Pre-Rick, you fucked up in ASZ the worst you got was banished. To what--another gated community? You can't swing a dead cat in No. VA without hitting one. Now here's Rick & his Colt Python carrying out Deanna's orders like a Mexican Drug Cartel hit man. I ain't saying it was the wrong thang to do. However you don't have to be under 18 to despise the person who shoots your parent in the head at a Town Hall Meeting. I know I would.

Due Process is a thang of the past in the ZA, but allowing family to at least say farewell is just the humane thang to do. Wasn't like Pete was still a threat with a 280 lb Abe pinning his ass to the ground. If those kids had been able to process what Dad did, understand how & why he did it, felt it was a community decision & not just some guy who had the hots for their Mom popping a cap in Dad's skull, & been allowed to say goodbye to get closure there might be a rat's ass of a chance they could one day not want vengeance. Alas Deadly Dillinger went Kapow...again. If FTWD's Madison the Guidance Counselor were to ask either kid what they wanted to do when they grew up the honest answer would probably be "Kill Rick." And that's best case scenario.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think they should be grateful towards Rick at all because, douchebag or not, Pete was still their father and they were shown to be happy (all things considered) and Rick forced himself into their lives with horrible consequences. Yes, Pete abused their mom and that is awful but abuse is not a constant presence in a relationship and they will still remember the good times their family had. That said, I do think they will understand why their dad was killed - at least to a certain extent. Having lived in the community pretty much since the beginning, they would know how good a person Reg was and probably liked him a lot. They would also know that Deanna is a good person who protected their family from the outside world and they probably like her a lot too. Finally, they would know how much Reg and Deanna loved one another and how one of them dying would have a devastating effect on the other. Add all this to the fact they knew Pete could get angry and hit their mom, and I can see at least a tiny piece of acceptance of why Pete was killed. The problem rests with who killed him.

Ron and Sam knew nothing about Rick prior to him killing Pete (and still don't) other than: he's from outside the walls, their mom has been spending a great amount of time with him, he's Carl's dad, and he got into a fight with their dad and pointed a gun at a group of people. He's a mysterious figure who came into town, latched onto their mother and eventually killed their father. It doesn't take a genius to see why they would be suspicious of Rick and not like him. And given Ron's age, its safe to assume he can figure out Rick is attracted to their mom and that inspired his actions against Pete. So it will not be lost on him that Rick is the reason his dad snapped in the end and killed someone he and Sam liked, which was what got him killed. It would be unrealistic if he didn't hate Rick.

Basically: Should they be grateful for their dad being killed? No.
    Should they accept Rick into their family? No.
    Will they like that their dad was executed? No.
    Will they understand why their dad was executed? Yes, at least a little.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    I really have tried to look at this objectively and tried to find a logically way around this, but it's just not there. As long as these kids are still alive then Jessie will be pretty much giving them the middle finger and being a terrible mom if she allows anything to happen between her and Rick. I fully expect something to happen between them, but for the sake of a story that makes sense, I hope it's nothing more than her sneaking around and having a one night stand. Expecting me to buy into these kids having anything but hatred for Rick is just ridiculous

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by HateForTheMasses View Post
    I really have tried to look at this objectively and tried to find a logically way around this, but it's just not there. As long as these kids are still alive then Jessie will be pretty much giving them the middle finger and being a terrible mom if she allows anything to happen between her and Rick. I fully expect something to happen between them, but for the sake of a story that makes sense, I hope it's nothing more than her sneaking around and having a one night stand. Expecting me to buy into these kids having anything but hatred for Rick is just ridiculous
    Even the thought of them having a one-night stand makes me queasy. Rick has never been my favorite character but if they have him sleep with Jessie after he killed her husband right in front of her, I'l probably just give up on him altogether. At least Deanna had the sense to be repulsed by the man who killed her husband and dealt with Pete. Meanwhile Jessie looks like she's going to jump into bed with the man who murdered hers, knowing full well that it was misplaced jealously towards Pete that made Rick destroy her family. If I were Ron or Sam, I'd hate not only Rick but Jessie too.

As for her parenting skills, I have nothing nice to say. She's always been a crap mother, I don't see why Pete being killed would change that.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)
    Level
    Hell no they should not feel grateful to Rick. The sheriff has done nothing but cause havoc since he got to ASZ. Hit on their mom and then killed their dad. Yep they should hate Rick!!

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia Dixon View Post
    Hell no they should not feel grateful to Rick. The sheriff has done nothing but cause havoc since he got to ASZ. Hit on their mom and then killed their dad. Yep they should hate Rick!!
    It's so easy as a fan of Rick to want to overlook shit, but once one really puts themselves in these children's shoes, he might as well be the devil. What he's done to their lives is as bad as anything that we've seen the villains on this show do to people

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast