Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Level

Jessie Anderson Debate

Am I a Richonne shipper? Yes. This isn't a bash-Jessie thread, however. Yvette Nicole Brown inspired me to set my shipper feelings aside (or at least try to) and look at this character with an open mind. The other Jessie threads appear to be "worship only", without the option to discuss all aspects. Let's be completely honest, good and bad. I'm willing to give it a shot. Anyone else?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Regardless of how people feel about Jessie, or Jessie and Rick together, Jessie is going to be walker food soon. And I think Rick deserves to screw around for an episode or two before everything goes to hell for him again.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1394 Post(s)
    Level
    I honestly get sick when I think about Jessie as a character. No, not as a Richonne shipper (yes, I am one), but as a feminist. Yes, I think she's honestly boring as cardboard, but that's the problem. The writers have honestly done nothing to make her interesting. And knowing that she is, in all likelihood, walker food, it just cements her as a literal plot device (re: object) all the more.

I figured the writers would've tried to eschew the "Women in Refrigerators" trope, seeing as they've done it before, but I suppose not. Comic!Jessie was a perfect example. A female character written into the plot in order to service a man's character development by method of her death. She was a literal disposable sex receptacle.

Given that TV Jessie hasn't interacted with anyone except Rick and her abusive husband over a span of four episodes, I think it's safe to say the writers aren't bringing her on for the long haul. If they are, they did a piss poor job of introducing her into the fold as a well-rounded character. I guess there's a chance they could try to do something with her next season, but Gimple is sticking with the source material as close as he can nowadays. And, sadly, one of the most memorable and iconic things about comic!Jessie was her death -- and the show has had a few hints to indicate that is still in the cards (namely, the owl tattoo on her forearm).

Overall, it's just a sad waste of Alexandra Breckenridge. As a Richonne shipper, I can't say I'll mourn her passing since she's, and I hate to put it this way, an "obstacle" (and yes perhaps that is petty of me to say, I wish I felt differently), but as a feminist watching this series? I just cringe and wish it didn't have to be that way. And I do feel badly that AB is going to be on the receiving end of unwarranted hate for her character, which isn't her fault.
    Last edited by Doctor Grimes; April 16th, 2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I can't type evidently.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Personally, I love Alexandra Breckenridge's portrayal of Jessie and even though the abuse arc was rushed, I don't really care. We've got all we needed to know about Jessie and Pete

- Lovers
    - Was abusive before the apoca-shit hit the fan.
    - Jessie helped/fixed him and things got better but they never do with abuse situations.
    - Stockholm syndrome, Jessie doesn't leave out of fear or whatever
    - Apoca-shit hits the fan. Jessie and fam stay in the zone. Jessie is beaten but Deanna ignores it cuz Pete's a doctor

Jessie has strong resolve, much like when Carol was under Pete's thumb. Jessie learned to survive and to deal with Pete's abuse as a normalcy. As did Carol. Jessie did so by throwing herself into art, work, and helping strangers.

Even though the circumstances that bought Jessie and Rick together are believable it was kinda cheesy how they hit it off so quickly. But I assume it's only because she's going to die soon. I don't mind that she's a plot device. When are women not plot devices on this show?

I like Jessie and I think Alexandra plays her perfectly and even though her life will be short ill enjoy it down to the gruesome end. Also, I like that there is some hesitation on Jessie's part not to hop in the arms of Rick. Like, there's a clear attraction but they know it's not the right time to be going at it. I like that Jessie called Rick out about her being married but honestly both of them win in the situation of Pete being removed. It was less about being in love and more about getting away from abuse on Jessie's case and Rick satisfying his bloodlust and low tolerance for cracks in the community.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    I like Jessie and AB but i do believe she'll be zombie food next season, they may hold it off a little longer because of how big of an actress they got for Jessie but her demise is coming...it is crucial to Rick's character. Unless they just use Carl losing an eye or Judith dying as a counter measure.

Either Jessie is getting her arm cut off, Carl is losing an eye, or Judith is finally dying. What'as your choice? (Hell they could do all 3)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1394 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamUpBxtch View Post
    Either Jessie is getting her arm cut off, Carl is losing an eye, or Judith is finally dying. What'as your choice? (Hell they could do all 3)
    I think Jessie is losing her arm (and dying), Carl is going to be grievously wounded (not lose an eye), and Judith might die (I hope not, but I could see them doing it; I was originally sold on her dying, but some other posters have convinced me they might be holding onto her for some reason).

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Level
    If this is going to be a mature discussion thread I'll stay, if this turns into yet another Jessie vs Richonne crap thread I'm out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaysGoneKwame View Post
    Personally, I love Alexandra Breckenridge's portrayal of Jessie and even though the abuse arc was rushed, I don't really care. We've got all we needed to know about Jessie and Pete
    It was equally rushed in the comics so I didn't really care, people had issues with the way her abuse was portayed but I didn't, not all abuse victims are the same, some pretend in front of people and you could NEVER tell they are being beaten, that is Jessie, was* I definitely think some bruise here and there before Pete hit her would've been better, but I didn't have major issue with it like a lot of people had.
    I liked the changes they made to the character, in the comics she was totally submissive to Pete and did absolutelly nothing, she does have a likeablity and a voice, unlike in the comics that she was just kinda annoying.
    Her limited screen-time was an issue but I suppose this will be fixed if she's promoted to a series regular.
    I also liked her calling out Pete (telling him to leave), Rick (telling him she's married), and Deanna, in front of all her people, totally shut down all her argument about the shit Gabriel said because she had no proof, and also telling Rick he was right, unlike the other Alexandrians she got the memo right away, that made me like her, also she was the only one from Alexandria defending Rick and co.
    Unlike everyone here I'm not sure about her death, if it'll be exactly like in the comics BUT I'm sure she's not here to stay, maybe she stays a little bit longer.
    Also the actress does a good job with what she was given.
    That's all I have to say from the little we saw.
    TL; DR she's ok and better than in the comics.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    All I know is she's hot.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DaysGoneKwame View Post

- Lovers
    - Was abusive before the apoca-shit hit the fan.
    - Jessie helped/fixed him and things got better but they never do with abuse situations.
    - Stockholm syndrome, Jessie doesn't leave out of fear or whatever
    - Apoca-shit hits the fan. Jessie and fam stay in the zone. Jessie is beaten but Deanna ignores it cuz Pete's a doctor

Jessie has strong resolve, much like when Carol was under Pete's thumb. Jessie learned to survive and to deal with Pete's abuse as a normalcy. As did Carol. Jessie did so by throwing herself into art, work, and helping strangers.

Even though the circumstances that bought Jessie and Rick together are believable it was kinda cheesy how they hit it off so quickly. But I assume it's only because she's going to die soon. I don't mind that she's a plot device. When are women not plot devices on this show?

I like Jessie and I think Alexandra plays her perfectly and even though her life will be short ill enjoy it down to the gruesome end. Also, I like that there is some hesitation on Jessie's part not to hop in the arms of Rick. Like, there's a clear attraction but they know it's not the right time to be going at it. I like that Jessie called Rick out about her being married but honestly both of them win in the situation of Pete being removed. It was less about being in love and more about getting away from abuse on Jessie's case and Rick satisfying his bloodlust and low tolerance for cracks in the community.
    I totally agree on your analysis on Pete and Jessie. They did cover some ground on them so quickly; but it was a little rushed at the start.

Reality is, Jessie may die MSF or sooner. And that's a shame, because when a character is written to just be a mans plot device for emotional development that takes all character away from the woman. That woman's character is simply tied to the man. Which is often how I see Maggie, just 'Glenn's wife' now. I think I may've watch too many of Anita Sarkeesian's feminist frequency not to be 'not minding' if they just kill her off to further Rick. But that was her role in the comics to though. It's a shame, because AB's portrayal of Jessie seems genuine and she's a good actress.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't know AB was well known because I'd never heard of her before TWD. I was aware of, but never watched AHS. Her being cast as Jessie, or 'Samantha', didn't make any difference one way or the other.

Jessie's relationship with her boys appears to be a bit unusual, because Sam seems much more attached to Carol than his mother. Also, where was Ron during the fight between his father and Rick - how could he not hear the commotion. Carl sure was there. And didn't Sam tell Carol his mother put him in a closet with a lock on the inside? I'm wondering if there was more than one abuser in that family. Why would Sam break the owl statue that his his mother said she was working on with her boys? I don't know if any of this will be re-visited, but I find it intriguing.

Maybe it's just me, but I found it a little odd that the first and only bruise on Jessie was after her husband knocked her away from his fight with Rick. Maybe that means nothing, but it sure was noticeable.

Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast