Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Level
    The military took Douglas Thompson out of the compound to a secret facility without telling his family because as Moyers told Travis, "I'm not a social worker."

Ofelia wouldn't have done anything if the military had been forthcoming with information about the eleven people they took away, including her mother, and if Daniel hadn't been lied to about being able to accompany Griselda to the hospital. And to be fair to Ofelia, it was her plan to kidnap Adams to trade for Griselda. Daniel let Ofelia believe kidnapping was all he intended; she knew nothing about Daniel's past as a torturer or his plan to torture Adams for information.

While Adams was being bound to a chair in the Tran's basement, Travis was asking Moyers for information about Griselda, Nick, and Liza.

Travis: Can you help me get my people back or not?

Moyers: I get that you got issues with protocol, but I can't concern myself with civilian problems.

Without getting into the torture debate, it's clear that Adams would not have provided information about the military's plans if Daniel hadn't started flaying him. This is what Adams said before Daniel pulled out his shaving kit:

Adams: You're worried about your family, I get it. But this isn't necessary. They're gonna be fine. They'll be evaluated and treated. That's all this is. You'll have them back.

Adams gave those assurances to Daniel, Madison, and Ofelia even though he knew Cobalt would be initiated at 9:00 a.m. the following morning, and all civilians in the safe zone would be exterminated before the military moved out of the area. Adams is not a villain, but he is a guy who follows orders even when those orders call for killing innocent people. It was Adams who chained the arena, condemning hundreds of innocents to death.

Corporal Adams:: That's when the screaming started. It happened so fast. I'd never seen them turn that fast before. All those people, 2,000 of them, just...trampling each other. And they couldn't-- they couldn't get out and...(sighs) we couldn't tell the infected from-- oh, God. I can hear them. I can still hear them.

Daniel: Yeah...What did you do?

Corporal Adams: We locked them in the arena. I chained the doors. That's what I did.

When Daniel moved the furniture and pulled out the blades, Adams said, "Look...we set up command at a college two miles east of here. There's a field hospital. That's where your wife is, okay? (stammering) You can ask me anything. I won't hold nothing back. I am-- hey, look, I'm an open book. I'll tell you whatever you want."

But he wasn't an open book and was not willing to give up information about the military's plans to kill the civilians in the area the next day. As Daniel tortured Adams, he heard the word "Cobalt" repeatedly on Adams's walkie and asked what the word meant. Adams said, "I don't know." After more extensive torture, Adams came clean about what was about to happen.

Madison: Tell him [Travis]. Tell him what you told us.

Daniel: Tell him about Cobalt. It's all right.

Adams: Cobalt is the command code to initiate evac from the LA Basin.

Travis: Evac? When? When do we leave?

Adams: Not you. Just us.

Travis: What?

Madison: Go on. Our people. Tell him. Tell him what happens to them.

Adams: Cobalt includes procedures for the humane termination of...(sighs)

Travis: When?

Adams: 0900 tomorrow.

ETA: I do agree that Ofelia was deceitful and betrayed Corporal Adams's trust. I'm not trying to whitewash her duplicity, but I completely disagree that he loved her (they barely knew each other, and it seemed more of a sexual attraction on his part).

If Adams cared about Ofelia, he'd want to protect her from what he knew was coming, and he appears to have accepted that Ofelia would be killed along with all the other safe zone residents the following morning.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    Treason? Give me a fucking break. She has no obligation to this soldier. In fact these soldiers are doing far worse.

Ofelia didn't know her father was going to torture the guy and it was obviously the plan of her father. Daniel paints ofelia as innocent and sheltered and I believe it since she thought they could make a trade. She was also very upset when she saw him harmed.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Level
    Daniel said that Ofelia had asked that Adams not be harmed, only traded. Daniel called Ofelia an innocent, and said that she had been kept in the dark about Daniel's past as a torturer. Griselda knew, and in her delirium, said that she had fallen in love with the devil, and looked in his face each day (or something along those lines). In any event, Daniel knew how the military thinks and operates, because he had been part of such operations (the reference to locking people up in stadiums was a "nice" touch by the writers).

I don't think Ofelia owed the soldier a thing. He was clearly willing to see her "humanely euthanized" along with everyone else the next morning. She did not want to see him tortured. Sex is nice. Her loyalty was to her family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12