Thanks Thanks:  0
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Level

Underground Fire Nears Nuclear Waste Dump Outside St. Louis, MO

Underground fire outside St. Louis has burned since 2010, nears nuclear waste dump:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...010-story.html

Beneath the surface of a St. Louis-area landfill lurk two things that should never meet: a slow-burning fire and a cache of Cold War-era nuclear waste, separated by no more than 1,200 feet.

Government officials have quietly adopted an emergency plan in case the smoldering embers ever reach the waste, a potentially "catastrophic event" that could send up a plume of radioactive smoke over a densely populated area near the city's main airport......

Directly next to Bridgeton Landfill is West Lake Landfill, also owned by Republic Services. The West Lake facility was contaminated with radioactive waste from uranium processing by a St. Louis company known as Mallinckrodt Chemical. The waste was illegally dumped in 1973 and includes material that dates back to the Manhattan Project, which created the first atomic bomb in the 1940s.

The Environmental Protection Agency is still deciding how to clean up the waste. The landfill was designated a Superfund site in 1990......

If the underground fire reaches the waste, "there is a potential for radioactive fallout to be released in the smoke plume and spread throughout the region," according to the disaster plan.

The plan calls for evacuations and development of emergency shelters, both in St. Louis County and neighboring St. Charles County. Private and volunteer groups, and perhaps the federal government, would be called upon to help, depending on the severity of the emergency.

*I'm starting to understand why a friend's father (who was originally from Missouri) had "Better Here Than St. Louis" engraved on his gravestone.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1251 Post(s)
    Level
    Well damn. I knew underground fires aren't uncommon, especially in coal seams which are rich sources of methane gas; but the proximity to the nuclear dump site is quite troubling. Doesn't look like there's anything that can be done about it, either. I only hope the EPA doesn't attempt another do-it-yourself cleanup job like the recent one in the Colorado gold mine that contaminated the Animas River.

BTW, I Googled underground fires and found one that's been burning in Australia for 6,000 years! Read all about it: http://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-oldest-underground-fire-has-been-burning-fo-1539049759

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I just listened to an old Radiolab podcast about a coal seam on fire in Pennsylvania I believe. That one could burn for another 250 years they think. It's destroyed the town and made everyone leave. Pretty nuts.