Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #41
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrean View Post
    Assuming it will suck when there's no actual storyline for S4 yet is a bit fatalistic, no?
    No. I never assumed it would suck. It was a 'what if' question to you. I never assumed or said it would suck. I said i hope it ends this season, because i just want it to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    I agree. It's not an issue of them copying the comics exactly - I much prefer the show over the comic actually. There are things that they could have utilized from this plot arc in the comic that would have made it easy to spread it out over two seasons, but it's more about crafting a plausible story that holds the interest of the audience. They've started the war with the rescue mission and the governor retaliating by attacking the prison. They've established that the governor wants those people dead. In that respect, they've written themselves into a corner because that limits the options considerably. There are a few things they could do to drag it out to some extent, but no way they could get another full season out of this and keep it interesting. Nobody will want to watch endless episodes of the governor training the townspeople in Woodbury or repeated attacks/retreats or even repeated injuries with recovery time. Same goes for endless episodes where nothing happens because they called a truce - at best they could get a couple of episodes out of something like that. They've already skipped over the winter so it's early spring now - which means the weather won't be a factor or a plausible explanation for another time jump. If they have something in mind to stretch it out beyond the first couple of episodes of season 4, I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
    Exactly, though this does pose a question that since it's logical to assume that there will be no 'negotiations' and just flat out war - why was Governor saying to Rick 'We have alot to talk about' in one of the promos (I'm certain that's Rick in the room and not Andrea, for reasons, but that's a completely different topic) - I agree, there's stuff they can do extend it but not for an entire season without it getting boring. I mean the Governor and his men flat out killed Axel and Oscar - the guy that saved Ricks life. You can drag stuff like this out in comics but it just wouldn't translate well over to TV, in my opinion. The Dynamics are different.

Another reason, why i'm against this whole two season arc is because of the past or more specifically season 2. Oh, and this will be an assumption obviously. The main plot-point of season 2 was obviously the whole Rick, Lori and Shane love triangle, and there were other plot points to fill the gaps like Randall, Walkers in the Barn, Carl getting shot - etc... - I think it was a smart decision to extend Shane's arc, but it got to a point for me where it became endlessly dragged out and stale; the whole love triangle that is. And by the end of it, i just didn't care as much as i should have. I can see a similar scenario for the prison, if it lasts two seasons which would probably be even more stale because like you said, they have somewhat backed them selves into a corner, and it's a bloody war not a love triangle.

2. Back To Top    #42
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaemon View Post
    No. I never assumed it would suck. It was a 'what if' question to you. I never assumed or said it would suck. I said i hope it ends this season, because i just want it to.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, though this does pose a question that since it's logical to assume that there will be no 'negotiations' and just flat out war - why was Governor saying to Rick 'We have alot to talk about' in one of the promos (I'm certain that's Rick in the room and not Andrea, for reasons, but that's a completely different topic) - I agree, there's stuff they can do extend it but not for an entire season without it getting boring. I mean the Governor and his men flat out killed Axel and Oscar - the guy that saved Ricks life. You can drag stuff like this out in comics but it just wouldn't translate well over to TV, in my opinion. The Dynamics are different.

Another reason, why i'm against this whole two season arc is because of the past or more specifically season 2. Oh, and this will be an assumption obviously. The main plot-point of season 2 was obviously the whole Rick, Lori and Shane love triangle, and there were other plot points to fill the gaps like Randall, Walkers in the Barn, Carl getting shot - etc... - I think it was a smart decision to extend Shane's arc, but it got to a point for me where it became endlessly dragged out and stale; the whole love triangle that is. And by the end of it, i just didn't care as much as i should have. I can see a similar scenario for the prison, if it lasts two seasons which would probably be even more stale because like you said, they have somewhat backed them selves into a corner, and it's a bloody war not a love triangle.
    Completely agree.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Well, I'm not going to limit myself on overall plotline here, or thinking there couldn't be a plot over two seasons. I think people shouldn't take such a negative approach in an overall aspect, save that for Andrea (it's much more fun). Either way, they're not going to waste the money on building an entire prison to only use it for just over one season and it would be monumentally STUPID to have such a sudden, drastic story arc change in the middle of a season as well.

- - - Updated - - -

This time you did. I hate the Woodbury arc too, fyi, hope the fucking town blows up. With Andrea in it. But I think it's a bit insipid for them to build an entire set of a prison for 16 episodes and have that be that, a total waste of money actually. Either way, we know they'll be back, and it's a stretch to think they'd end the storyline just a tad into a new season as well.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrean View Post
    This time you did.
    I hate to be like this, i really do. But i dislike when this happens.

How long until the actual Governor/Battle gets stale and the final Governor/Prison battle becomes forgotten and we just want it to happen and end?
    - That's exactly what i said to you. That's a a hypothetical question because like you said we don't know the story-line of S4 so it's a "what if", there's nothing about that that i'm assuming it would suck. I was saying IF it were to extend, "How long" (which can mean any amount of time that includes zero) so no i wasn't assuming.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    I would be fine with them changing it so they stay at the prison longer as long as it made sense and was interesting. The prison isn't the problem - that's been the best part of season 3. Woodbury and the war are the problem because they brought that into the story too soon and they left themselves no wiggle room to spread it out. I still think that's part of why they let Mazzara go to be honest. He barreled through this story like a bull in a china shop and now they're backed into a corner.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    I would be fine with them changing it so they stay at the prison longer as long as it made sense and was interesting. The prison isn't the problem - that's been the best part of season 3. Woodbury and the war are the problem because they brought that into the story too soon and they left themselves no wiggle room to spread it out. I still think that's part of why they let Mazzara go to be honest. He barreled through this story like a bull in a china shop and now they're backed into a corner.
    I agree. If they made it work then fine that's ok, it's just hard to swallow after season 2 and the whole shane fiasco, and the fact that they are at war and it doesn't seem plausible at all that they could extend it for an entire season. Which will probably be 16 episodes again. If they started this season slower, similar to how Season2b was, then sure maybe two seasons might work. We'll have to see, as long as it's good, i'm good.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I could handle losing just Woodbury. :)

8. Back To Top    #48
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I think we can all agree that the reason that this may become a little stale is GLEN MAZZARA. (Sorry to Kurt Sutter for clowning on your BFF). But i honestly believe that their hands will be forced to try to back off some on the action this season. And i really do wish that they would quit following the comics at all. Use them as a character pool, to appease the GN fans, but i really dont see them having to do the Hunters story; however i think they should bring in Negan. (i think thats in the right order, i have never read, and dont plan on reading the comics.) I would like for them to go on their own way.

Also for the person that says they dont see MMB driving an hour for coffee, I live down south and driving an hour for anything isnt bad. It is way more spread out down south than anywhere else.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by slcraig81 View Post
    I think we can all agree that the reason that this may become a little stale is GLEN MAZZARA. (Sorry to Kurt Sutter for clowning on your BFF). But i honestly believe that their hands will be forced to try to back off some on the action this season. And i really do wish that they would quit following the comics at all. Use them as a character pool, to appease the GN fans, but i really dont see them having to do the Hunters story; however i think they should bring in Negan. (i think thats in the right order, i have never read, and dont plan on reading the comics.) I would like for them to go on their own way.

Also for the person that says they dont see MMB driving an hour for coffee, I live down south and driving an hour for anything isnt bad. It is way more spread out down south than anywhere else.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaay too early for Negan. But I agree on Mazzara, for sure. And they use the GN's as a guidepost which is why I don't understand the thought process that they'd run out of a storyline, they literally can do whatever they want.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree. If they made it work then fine that's ok, it's just hard to swallow after season 2 and the whole shane fiasco, and the fact that they are at war and it doesn't seem plausible at all that they could extend it for an entire season. Which will probably be 16 episodes again. If they started this season slower, similar to how Season2b was, then sure maybe two seasons might work. We'll have to see, as long as it's good, i'm good.
    What they should have done was put more focus on them finding the prison and making it a home in the first half of this season. Couple of episodes of them on the road before they find the prison, a few episodes dealing with them clearing it out and conflicts with the prisoners - that's where the serial killer arc would have fit in very well - mix in some stuff with Michonne and Andrea on the road to develop their relationship, show how Andrea got sick, etc... Spread out the time - let them get comfortable in the prison before it all goes to hell. We shouldn't have even seen Woodbury or the governor until mid season at the earliest. It would have been very simple to spread this plot arc out over 2 or 3 seasons if they had gone about it the right way.

Of course, we have to wait and see what they do before we can know if it will be interesting or not, but Mazzara made a lot of mistakes in season 2 and season 3 that cause me to worry because they cause problems for the show in general. Hopefully, Gimple will do a better job and has a good plan to fix the mess Mazzara made. Like you, I'm good as long as the show is good. :) But I definitely would not be disappointed if they ended the Woodbury aspect of it this season and came up with a new plot arc for the prison in season 4.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast