Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Level

THR: 'Walking Dead' Boss Defends Glenn Fake-Out, Previews "Different Show" in Season

@Rachel Dixon - I was curious to find this article after you mentioned it in another thread.

He talks very generally about 6B, but I put it in spoilers just in case. Mods please move if necessary.

Were you surprised by the reaction to Glenn's dumpster scene?
    I wasn't entirely surprised. It was exciting to see the audience so keyed into it that it really became a big thing to people. The responses I got direct from fans seemed to be all very positive. But from a journalistic aspect, there was a disconnect ... the two reactions I was getting were very different.

Many critics, including THR's, said that the show has lost credibility by doing this with Glenn …
    I saw a lot of line for line repeat sentences between a lot of these people. On that side, people said things like that, but that wasn't the message I was getting from the fans at all. From the comments on those very sites, I don't think the majority of people who watch the show were feeling that way.

Glenn's near death experience has jeopardized the show's credibility and made many of the series' stars untouchable when it comes to character deaths. Can the second half change that?

It's hard for me to answer that question directly in as much as I don't agree with the credibility thing. That's a very interesting way to look at it — that people are telling the audience how to watch the show and what to believe. We've had instances of people in a very emotional state — Tyreese jumping into the middle of a large herd and fighting his way out; a man cut off his own hand and fights his way through a department store full of walkers. These things are part of the world. Glenn had the bad luck of being knocked off that dumpster by Nicholas, ending his own life but [Glenn] had the good luck of Nicholas landing on him. There's a lot of very specific facts about it that I think a lot of people have sort of gotten wrong. But breaking it down shot for shot … I think we're past that point. I don't think this is any sort of new instance that broke the rules of our show at all. I think it's very much in line with everything we've done before. I don't think there's a credibility issue. It seems like there's this growing sort of divide between the people who watch the show and the people who write about the show. There's not a wrong way to watch it; nobody is doing anything wrong. I'm getting a lot different messages that are diametrically opposed.

Source

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Level
    He sees nothing wrong with his poorly executed GOT rip-off stunt, so

Negan better be A-fucking-tastic, that's all I got.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Level
    Maybe it's just me, but SG seemed very defensive when it came to answering the questions about Glenn's fake death. I wonder if the negative reviews are getting to him. Something of note, that I think applies to practically every person on this forum, is SG stating that we are past the point of breaking things down shot by shot. That's a very interesting thing to say about this show, but also about the logistics of Glenn's survival.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Level
    "Only the critics who over-analyze had a problem with it; the fans didn't."

These writers will continue to put shit on paper as long as the ratings stay high. I guess they're thinking, 'Lost did it, why can't we'?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    'Can the second half change that ?'

'Oh yeah we're killing off this list of beloved characters :

That dude with the red shirt
    That dude's friend
    Remember Heath ? No ? His friend ? Whatever. His friend dies.
    The Andersons
    Unhealthy Wolf
    Savior #595984561
    Guy Who Messes With Rick, Again #32
    Carl's Virginity

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Level

That dude's friend
    The Andersons
    Unhealthy Wolf
    Savior #595984561
    Carl's Virginity
    Better not.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    Gimple is such trash. This interview proves he's nothing but ego and garbage.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1277 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomis210 View Post

That dude's friend
    The Andersons
    Unhealthy Wolf
    Savior #595984561
    Carl's Virginity
    Gosh. I forgot about Heath's friend. You are right. He'll be the first person to have been killed by a walker swarm while in a coma. And what's he doing in a coma anyway. Didn't he just hurt his leg?

Im impressed that Gimps reads stuff from his fans. I wish he'd respond to more of it.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Level
    There's a teeny, tiny grain of truth in what Gimple is saying. (Half-truth?) Twitter and Tumblr were waayyy more overjoyed that Glenn was alive because even with the shitty filming of the fakeout, nobody wanted to see him die. So most of the fans weren't calling out the show for losing credibility - they were happy to see Glenn lived. But there's a wide stretch in-between "glad Glenn didn't die" to "wow I thought this Glenn ploy was beautifully written, filmed, and executed start to finish," because there's been like zero of the latter out there from those fans. It's a pretty smart way to spin it on Gimple's part. I don't expect the man to crumble and cry and it's hard for me not to respect him a little for defending his creation. He'd look like an even bigger shithead to me if he just waved it off as though he didn't care about it, or nonchalantly shrugged it off as a loss, because it's very clear he does care about the show even if there are missteps.

I'm very excited for this light-hearted episode coming in 6B. We need it desperately.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Level
    Good questions by the interviewer straight to the point, your show lost all credibility and all your main characters are safe what's up with that? that's what he asked with prettier words.
    Is it just me or Gimple defended his bad writing with other of his past bad writing? because x scene was 'unveliable' before we have to buy this? k. No wonder 6A is garbage..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast