Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Level

Season 2: In Hindsight Do You Appreciate It More?

Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this discussion or even if it has been discussed in great detail yet but I am curious to know how many people actually have a greater appreciation and/or love for season 2 with the conclusion of 6a???

I always felt like I have been in the minority of the fandom who actually LOVES season 2. Til this day it is probably still my favorite season of TWD. Yes, the farm got a little bit boring but overall it was a solid season with wonderful development and growth for just about every single character; I even cared about Patricia and Otis! People had REAL conversations with each other (not drawn out, repetitive monologues) and we saw relationships fully fleshed out and developed. With the exception of Michonne, I haven't really been emotionally attached to any of the characters introduced AFTER season 2 and I don't think I necessarily "buy" Rick's group as a "family" anymore, certain pairings within the supposed family, yes, but as a whole, NO. I don't want to ramble but I just think s2 excelled with character development and the exploration of the changing dynamics within relationships, something that we haven't really seen on this show in quite awhile (or atleast not done as well).

I only bring up this topic because of a conversation I had with a friend recently, who went from hating s2 to now loving it after binging it via Netflix recently.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Yes. I do.

It's nice to see where the characters mindsets were back then. People I've hated when I first watch are now a joy to watch because we can see that natural development.

It's also nice to parallel events with current events.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Level
    I was just thinking about this so thanks for the thread, @tuswig.

The friend I've been introducing to TWD finished S2 with me last night and rewatching with her has totally changed my feelings on the season. Not that I hated S2, because I didn't, but it felt so excruciating at the time? Especially the episodes leading up to the MSF and the SF until approximately Dale's death. But watching it in basically two batches, the first half and the last half, it feels so much quicker and tighter and doesn't drag nearly as much to me.

Part of me knows it's because the later events are giving earlier events more context and resonancy. There's also the extreme nostalgia high you can get watching old favorites and departed characters, since Dale was my boo in those days and I miss him even still, so I get so much more out of his moments now. Same with Lori and Andrea, even poor underutilized T-Dog.

I've hardly come to think it's perfect but boyyyy it has definitely become easier to watch, lol.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    Season 2 has alway been my favorite season overall. Rick vs Shane has never been topped IMO. The pacing never bothered me as the slow pace allowed for some solid character development. The new characters added were great except for Beth, we got a really solid scene with two quickie antagonist in Dace and Tony, both the MSF and SF are still amongst my fav episodes. I'm not a shipper but I have to say that I loved the Shane and Andrea dynamic and Carol and Daryl's relationship was also at its best during this season. Would not have minded either pairing at that point. Plus I got to see Dale die.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Alexandria, helping Rick sharpen his axe blade
    Threads
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Level
    Currently watching the marathon now which is on season 2. Season 2 is not my favorite season however I don't hate it and feel it is one of the strongest seasons. I just posted in the Shane love thread how much I miss him. The dynamic and relationship he had with Rick has never been seen again between other characters. I really wish they had not killed him off but they wrote him into a corner with that awful love triangle.

Season 2 Daryl I really love and even though I am not a Caryl shipper, I can see why people fell in love with them during that season. Daryl was so awkward and Carol was so grateful for all the support he gave her when it came to Sophia. They were two abused people who found solace in each other.

Still not not a fan of Dale, he was such a busy body and into everyone's business. And Lori's constant waffling: "Shane leave, no Shane stay" still gets on my nerves. This was the season I hated Carl the most, I grew to like him in future seasons.

But I agree with other posters, TPTB really spent time on character development compared to now when it's all about driving plot and getting to the next epic comic book frame.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Level
    Season 2 was where I became a fan of this show. Lots of complainst of how slowEven it was but I would have watched paint dry to get to the last 15 minutes of Pretty Much Dead Already.

And yes I miss Shane. And Lori. Andrea, Dale. Sophia coming out of the barn is still the biggest gutpunch this show has given.

Even Dave and Tony, Best short-lived guest appearances ever

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I shamelessly love season 2 and I appreciate it more with every new season. The farm is where they became a family and I agree with @tuswig, I don't buy them as this close family anymore. I can't remember who to credit but on tumblr someone wrote that Gimple doesn't see the need to put effort in maintaining relationships because he takes it for granted that the audience will assume the bonds are just as strong as they were in previous seasons.

Are Rick and Daryl truly brothers?
    If Glenn never made it back from under the dumpster would it devastate everyone and not just Maggie?
    Are Carol and Daryl still the other's person?
    If Abe died would Michonne break down in tears?

Gimple would shout a resounding yes to each of the above but could he give concrete examples of dialogue and/or action in 6A to keep any of us from calling him a dirty liar that lies? I don't think so. I started watching to see come cool zombies but that got old fast. There's just so many times I can play 'Where's G. Nicotero?" in a batch of walkers. What kept me around and will keep me coming back are the relationships and to me the relationships are taking a backseat to bullshit like playing with time and what cool walker kill Nicotero and team can come up with.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    definitely miss Shane! :-(

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by tuswig View Post
    Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this discussion or even if it has been discussed in great detail yet but I am curious to know how many people actually have a greater appreciation and/or love for season 2 with the conclusion of 6a???

I always felt like I have been in the minority of the fandom who actually LOVES season 2. Til this day it is probably still my favorite season of TWD. Yes, the farm got a little bit boring but overall it was a solid season with wonderful development and growth for just about every single character; I even cared about Patricia and Otis! People had REAL conversations with each other (not drawn out, repetitive monologues) and we saw relationships fully fleshed out and developed. With the exception of Michonne, I haven't really been emotionally attached to any of the characters introduced AFTER season 2 and I don't think I necessarily "buy" Rick's group as a "family" anymore, certain pairings within the supposed family, yes, but as a whole, NO. I don't want to ramble but I just think s2 excelled with character development and the exploration of the changing dynamics within relationships, something that we haven't really seen on this show in quite awhile (or atleast not done as well).

I only bring up this topic because of a conversation I had with a friend recently, who went from hating s2 to now loving it after binging it via Netflix recently.
    I've always loved season 2. I think it's def my favorite season. I can't quite put my finger on why (or maybe I just can't explain it as eloquently as others reply on this site!). I have started my own TWD marathon/binge just tonight. I'm also the kind of sap that misses old things. I enjoyed the relationships everyone had back then and I miss Shane...:)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Level
    I always liked Season 2, for most of the reasons people have already mentioned. While it may have moved slow, it was probably the most consistent season and didn't feel too slow to me. The only problem I have with S2 is Lori (practically everything about her). And while I'm not a fan of Shane, "Better Angels" will forever be one of my favorite episodes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast